Under coating?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang Ricky

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
Just wondering has anyone undercoated their car before storeage? Mine is in a unheated garage. I would appreciate any feedback. I was thinking about Krown Rust Control! I have invested a lot of money in my paint job.

I had mine done with the Ziebart Rust Proofing way back in 1974 and it has preserved the car very well. No rust through anywhere. What is the current condition of the undercarriage, have you already cleaned it up?

I had mine done with the Ziebart Rust Proofing way back in 1974 and it has preserved the car very well. No rust through anywhere. What is the current condition of the undercarriage, have you already cleaned it up?
Under carriage is very clean. All new floor boards!

I use a product called fluid film. Seems to work really well. A guy around here undercoats cars with it for under $100. It fights the rust but it doesn't get all nasty like tar based substances. Its a clear/cloudy oily substance that soaks into the pores of the metal. If you don't want the mess of the tar or rubberized undercoating this stuff is pretty slick. I have my truck and my wifes car both done in it. Heres a link to it. http://www.fluid-film.com/products/ hope this helps some.

Unless you are going to use yours as a daily driver I would personally not undercoat. With that said mine still has the original undercoating/rustproofing on it. When I get around to cleaning it off I don't plan on re-undercoating.

If your interested, here is what the Mustang Club of America states in their judging rules (for concurs):

5. UNDERCARRIAGE Points

A. Undercarriage:

Undercoating: No undercoating allowed in Trailered Class.

Undercoated Cars: Everything must be covered except drive shaft, transmission, rear-end housing, exhaust pipes, mufflers, springs and plates. Gas tank, fully undercoated or have overspray around leading front edge and two sides. Must show some evidence of overspray. Convertible plate must be undercoated.

Non-undercoated Cars: Undercarriage primer either red oxide, dark gray or black with some body color and pinch weld paint overspray. (Primer paint drips should be visible for non-undercoated cars.) Convertible plate, black or natural........................................................................................................................................................ 20

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness of undercoating. (Workmanship of undercoating must be poor quality or excessive to deduct points). Workmanship, condition and cleanliness of underside of floorpans ..................................................................................................................................... 15

I used summit racing's brand undercoating in a spray can. It was reasonably priced (compared to Eastwood.com) and I got really good coverage. It actually comes in a larger can than usual spray cans (18oz I think? Maybe i'm thinking of beer can sizes :s). I did the front aprons but I loved it. Probably use it on the underside as well.

mine was undercoated about 10 yrs ago when I had the floors replaced because its stored in a kind of outside situation (carport with stone base), and it gets used alot during hte spring, summer, and fall.

I was told, some of the coatings hold moisture between the metal and the undercoating which could cause rust.

I use a product called fluid film. Seems to work really well. A guy around here undercoats cars with it for under $100. It fights the rust but it doesn't get all nasty like tar based substances. Its a clear/cloudy oily substance that soaks into the pores of the metal. If you don't want the mess of the tar or rubberized undercoating this stuff is pretty slick. I have my truck and my wifes car both done in it. Heres a link to it. http://www.fluid-film.com/products/ hope this helps some.
Thanks I will check it out.

Unless you are going to use yours as a daily driver I would personally not undercoat. With that said mine still has the original undercoating/rustproofing on it. When I get around to cleaning it off I don't plan on re-undercoating.

If your interested, here is what the Mustang Club of America states in their judging rules (for concurs):

5. UNDERCARRIAGE Points

A. Undercarriage:

Undercoating: No undercoating allowed in Trailered Class.

Undercoated Cars: Everything must be covered except drive shaft, transmission, rear-end housing, exhaust pipes, mufflers, springs and plates. Gas tank, fully undercoated or have overspray around leading front edge and two sides. Must show some evidence of overspray. Convertible plate must be undercoated.

Non-undercoated Cars: Undercarriage primer either red oxide, dark gray or black with some body color and pinch weld paint overspray. (Primer paint drips should be visible for non-undercoated cars.) Convertible plate, black or natural........................................................................................................................................................ 20

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness of undercoating. (Workmanship of undercoating must be poor quality or excessive to deduct points). Workmanship, condition and cleanliness of underside of floorpans ..................................................................................................................................... 15
Thanks

mine was undercoated about 10 yrs ago when I had the floors replaced because its stored in a kind of outside situation (carport with stone base), and it gets used alot during hte spring, summer, and fall.

I was told, some of the coatings hold moisture between the metal and the undercoating which could cause rust.
Thanks foryour imput.

I used summit racing's brand undercoating in a spray can. It was reasonably priced (compared to Eastwood.com) and I got really good coverage. It actually comes in a larger can than usual spray cans (18oz I think? Maybe i'm thinking of beer can sizes :s). I did the front aprons but I loved it. Probably use it on the underside as well.
Food for thought!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it depends on your intentions with the car. Is it going to be an MCA concourse show car or just your periodic show car and mainly used to be driven and enjoyed in nice weather. If you are concerned about rust I hope you addressed any current rust when the floor pans were replaced and any other body work. If you still have any corrosion on the car rustproofing will just cover it and it will continue to spread under the coating. If you still may have some rust in areas I would consider going to Eastwood and look at their Rust Solutions section. I used the Internal Frame Coating product while my car was stripped bare to get in the internal structures. I am not a big fan of the rubberized undercoating as it is a mess to remove. I would look through their products a consider what may be best for you. I would recommend a very thick 10 - 12 mil plastic drop cloth over the concrete or surface below your car where it is parked, a good dessicant drier inside the interior and trunk area and a good breathable car cover for the top. If you are leaving your car for storage, I also like to place mouse poison in the engine bay, front seat floor, back seat floor and trunk. Those things can do a ton of damage in a short period of time. Hope these thoughts help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back