My new high-torque mini-starter is just awesome!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
My 73 with a 351 and AT has been having starter problems since I bought it last summer. It would really drag at first and then get around to cranking, but pretty slowly. I had checked the cables, etc. and decided to get something new.

After reading the posts on the forums about the high-torque mini starters I decided I'd give it a try. Based upon recommendations on the forums, I went with DB Electrical out of Tennessee and ordered the new Ford Mini PMGR Racing Starter SFD0001 starter with wiring kit for $56.95 and free shipping. http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-9936-new-ford-mini-pmgr-racing-starter-302-351-higher-torque-3205-sfd0001.aspx

Yesterday the FedEx truck dropped it off and I got started. The starter was well packed and included the needed extra wiring kit. It also included very easy to read instructions for the wiring change. Taking out the old one was fairly easy but the thing was so heavy I nearly dropped it out. Putting in new one was laughably easy. So light and small. Had to run the new relay wire and move the old starter wire over to the other side of the solenoid (always hot, 12v). All in all, about 45 minutes of work.

When done, I gave it a turn of the key and PRESTO, that 351 spun right away and fired up immediately. I tried it several times and was amazed at the difference in starting.

In summary, if you're thinking about replacing your starter, I would recommend using the one I bought from DB Electrical. One of the best $56.95 I've spent on the pony so far!

:banana:

Scott

That's great news and at great price, thanks for passing it on. I noticed it only fits 73 and up but we've got a lot of people on this site with 73's.

Monterey's a beautiful area, lived there several years ago and we loved it... but had to follow the job.

Jim

Ya..going to keep that starter in mind...Good price..In the middle of rebuilding my motor...Hate to stick it back together with the old greasy stock one...lol

Ya..going to keep that starter in mind...Good price..In the middle of rebuilding my motor...Hate to stick it back together with the old greasy stock one...lol
Ditto. May replace the overgrown rebuilt stock one I have right now.

Rich

Great post. When I replaced my 351C starter, I didn't want to wait to buy an online replacement for the stock one, so I used Jeff's recommendation and went down to NAPA and bought a starter for a 1992 Bronco 351W with manual transmission. Easily installed in 10 minutes through the headers - just had to buy about 3 feet of 12 gauge wire.

Yes,I looked them up after this post,they offer a hi-torq w/ wiring kit for my 460 for $49.95 !! I"ll be jumping on that,thanks for the heads up. :cool:

This spring I am going to put this starter in. Thank you for this post, Otherwise I would have installed another OEM one. :)

I do have a standard automatic starter. FREE to a good home.
mine grindes. it sounds like the bendix isn't going in far enough so maybe i have a starter for a manual tranny ? not sure how to check it.

The "nose" of the starter is flatter on a manual starter and more extended on the automatic.

I did have to shim the starter out on the automatic starter when I ran it, the bendix hit the flexplate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have the DBElectrical starter and it's pretty good. I had an issue with the wiring initially but worked through that with the help of folks on here. Essentially the wiring was correct but I had the lighter gauge wire on the wrong side so it melted. I ended up putting two 4 gauge wires hooking up both terminals.

Again, it's a solid product and well worth the cost but it sounds like an 80s Chrysler when you are starting up. Not a big deal, but it takes some getting used to.

The "nose" of the starter is flatter on a manual starter and more extended on the automatic.

I did have to shim the starter out on the automatic starter when I ran it, the bendix hit the flexplate.
I bought one, and it doesn't seem to quite line up. Going to have to get under there and really look closer at it because it was getting dark.

Anyone else have this problem? ::help:: I have a 351C with auto transmission. The specs all say it should be a fit.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Back