Windshield frame blackout

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Today I decided to finally try something that I've had in mind for years.

I blacked out the chrome around the windshield on both the inside and the outside.

I think it looks awesome and goes well with the restomod attitude of the car. It loses the classic muscle car look a little but I like it.

Reason I decided to go for it is that Plasti Dip became finally available over here and I did not want to ruin the moldings by painting them. This is cool because it can be removed without any alteration to the parts.

Here are some pics:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool man...Its diffrent and looks good...How does it look with the black top up now?
I guess it will look pretty cool but I have not yet put the top up. I wanna make sure that the black is completely cured so that it will not react with the solvents in the rubber molding.

I'll post some pics tomorrow with the top up and in daylight. I ran out of light today and I have not yet seen it in daylight. Only under the neon light in my garage.

EDIT:

I removed this pic because it was not good. I put a new one in a new post further down.

Ok, here's the new pic, as I removed the previous one. (Did not like it, I am sometimes really picky when it comes to pictures I have taken)

I like it with the top up as it's all black now. Looks sleeker and somewhat lower, in my opinion.

DSC_3776.JPG

Hi Mike,

Looks pretty mean indeed. I think it gives the car a clean retro look and helps to lower it. Speaking of that, have you ever thought of painting your lower body with the black treatment as in the Mach 1 look? I think that helps a lot to give our convertibles a meaner lower look as well. (just my humble opinion). I plan to going that way myself later on down the track.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, which way did you go with your power windows? Are they factory with new switches or a complete new system. In any case, what do you think about having power windows as such? Just curious, as i was thinking of installing new ones myself .

Greg:)

The power windows are the factory ones it came with. On a vert, power windows are a necessity as you don't have to climb around in car to open the rear quarter windows. Driving with the top down and those windows up is definitely a no go.

That way you can open and close you car, windows top and all from the driver seat.

I tried to black out the lower part in photoshop once. I don't know I if liked it or not.

It looked way cool but it made the car look like it had a higher stance, especially up front.

That little yellow triangle you see underneath the front lip in front of the wheel well makes all the difference. Paint that black and it "raises" the front of the car. Now that it finally sits so low, I would not want to ruin the looks of that.

But I have again been considering it lately.

We'll see.

I would maybe like to try and go Mopar with the side stripes, kinda like a Cuda or Challenger. I need to figure something out that is similar, yet different enough so the Mopar guys don't shoot me on sight. :)

Back