1971 Mach-1 Specification Question?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PABlueMach-1

I think this is way I should be asking... Excuse a non-technical guy.

Is the intake for a four-barrel aluminum or cast-iron?

Dont forget the aluminum 71 boss 4 barrel intake ;)

But ya..Most are cast iron.
All 4 barrel MACH1s came from the factory with cast iron intake. If you got an aluminum manifold and it's from a Boss351, it's worth big $$$ (otherwise it's just an aftermarket intake).

Dont forget the aluminum 71 boss 4 barrel intake ;)

But ya..Most are cast iron.
All 4 barrel MACH1s came from the factory with cast iron intake. If you got an aluminum manifold and it's from a Boss351, it's worth big $$$ (otherwise it's just an aftermarket intake).
Thank you! Now... I asked my retoration guy to replace the 2-B with a 4-B. Any potential complications or suggestions?

You need to have 4V heads to use a 4 barrel factory intake.
I dont know if you want to keep your car original, if so you need to change the cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, exhaust system to fit the 4v manifolds ,gaskets specific for those parts, carb. If you dont want to go that route you can buy an aluminun intake paint it engine color that is a four v capable and has 2v intake runners. You can get these all over for about 150 dollars plus carb:)

You need to have 4V heads to use a 4 barrel factory intake.
I dont know if you want to keep your car original, if so you need to change the cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, exhaust system to fit the 4v manifolds ,gaskets specific for those parts, carb. If you dont want to go that route you can buy an aluminun intake paint it engine color that is a four v capable and has 2v intake runners. You can get these all over for about 150 dollars plus carb:)
I have had both (2v heads with 4v intake) and 4v heads and intake and of course there is a performance difference but maybe a half second in the 1/4 mile so the aftermarket 4v for 2v heads manifold isn't a bad option unless you can get a hold of some 4v heads without paying an arm and leg. Many years ago I ran a Holley 500 2bbl carb and of course it ran better than stock and wasn't that much slower than with a 4v 600cfm carb.

I just spoke to my guy and gave him all the information you-all provided. He is pondering the information... Will do some pricing and get back to me.

In chatting the subject of exhaust(s) has started... He reports single… I want dual. What determined single vs. dual on a 1971?

While ponding all this... What's involved to convert to:

PLENUM ASSY RAM-AIR CHAMBER ATTACHES TO UNDERSIDE OF NACA HOOD ?

While ponding all this... What's involved to convert to:

PLENUM ASSY RAM-AIR CHAMBER ATTACHES TO UNDERSIDE OF NACA HOOD ?
It is a bolt on item

Item #3641QY

71-73 RAM AIR PLENUM AND FLAPPERS

Reproduction plenum assembly with working vacuum operated flapper assemblies. Very nice setup. Price: $249.95

Item #3641QX

71-73 RAM AIR, AIR CLEANER BASE

All steel reproduction air cleaner base. Excellent quality, very correct with snorkel, lid and working vacuum door assembly. For 351 Cleveland cars. Includes base, snorkel and lid, no hardware. Price: $249.95

Item #3641QXYKIT

71-3 RAM AIR SYSTEM KIT

Ram air system includes metal base complete with snorkel, vacuum assembly and lid, hood plenum with functional vacuum flapper assemblies, seal, vacuum lines, tee, screws, clips, filter, breather element and wing nut. Kit for 351C. Excellent reproduction. Price: $529.95

I think this is way I should be asking... Excuse a non-technical guy.

Is the intake for a four-barrel aluminum or cast-iron?
After market usually aluminum, Stock usually iron

Back