Cornbread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
I haven't done this for years but tonight I bought a jug of buttermilk and some cornmeal and made an iron skillet full of cornbread for a late evening snack. It was delicious and my 4 year old daughter drank an entire glass of buttermilk. She may look exactly like my wife but this proves there's a little bit of me in the mix somewhere.

Good stuff.

Hey grandpa - what's for supper?

Brown beans, fried potatoes and onions and buttermilk cornbread.

That'll work. Just can't seem to find it in my diet book! :-/

Ray

Hey grandpa - what's for supper?

Brown beans, fried potatoes and onions and buttermilk cornbread.

That'll work. Just can't seem to find it in my diet book! :-/

Ray
You left out venison rolled in eggs and flour then fried, and homemade white gravy made from the fixins...these are a few of my favorite things...no wonder I can't see my...um...feet:D

I made up some homemade cornbread and chili beans last night as break from the normal German food the Frau makes, it was good, but as usual I made to much.

Mmmm... buttermilk. But only as an ingredient - I could paint a wall with the rate of upheaval it brings out in me straight from the carton.

I can drink the entire carton...love it! Cornbread in a tall glass of buttermilk; that's a country boy's parfait.

For a real treat try buttermilk pie. One thanksgiving my older sis who is a fantastic cook/baker made pecan pies and I made buttermilk pies. ALL of my pies were eaten and only 1 or 2 slices from her pies. Ever since then she has never made a pecan pie at thanksgiving. Lol. Her pies are awesome too. I find this very funny because she predominately taught me how to cook. :D

Buttermilk biscuits and buttermilk gravy...YUM! Saturday morning breakfast is coming in 2 days. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can drink the entire carton...love it! Cornbread in a tall glass of buttermilk; that's a country boy's parfait.

For a real treat try buttermilk pie. One thanksgiving my older sis who is a fantastic cook/baker made pecan pies and I made buttermilk pies. ALL of my pies were eaten and only 1 or 2 slices from her pies. Ever since then she has never made a pecan pie at thanksgiving. Lol. Her pies are awesome too. I find this very funny because she predominately taught me how to cook. :D

Buttermilk biscuits and buttermilk gravy...YUM! Saturday morning breakfast is coming in 2 days. ;)
well im coming over too eat some grub;) settled!! Miss my grannies cookin... She passed away little over a year ago...And made all the buttermilk cornbread and pancakes and biscuts i could handle...yum yum yum..Now i got to learn how to make them all my self...And been digging out all her old cook books and doing my best...lol

My brother is into making them buttermilk and vinegar pies..Pretty good..Most people dont know what a vinegar pie is thou...Not as terrible as it sounds ;)

well im coming over too eat some grub;) settled!! Miss my grannies cookin... She passed away little over a year ago...And made all the buttermilk cornbread and pancakes and biscuts i could handle...yum yum yum..Now i got to learn how to make them all my self...And been digging out all her old cook books and doing my best...lol

My brother is into making them buttermilk and vinegar pies..Pretty good..Most people dont know what a vinegar pie is thou...Not as terrible as it sounds ;)
It all starts with a 9" cast iron skillet. If you don't have one, get one. Lodge is a great brand to search out and never wash it with any soap.

Here's my recipe for cornbread.

Put frying pan in oven and turn it on to 375 degrees.

Melt 1/2 cup of real butter then mix with 1/2 to 2/3 cup of sugar in a large bowl. Whisk it really good.

Add 2 large eggs and whisk again.

Add 1 cup of buttermilk and 3 or 4 pinches of baking soda. Whisk some more. Optional...add a splash of Jack Daniels or a splash of beer. Whisk. Then put the whisk in the sink.

Add 1 cup of corn meal, 1 cup of flour, and 3 or 4 pinches of salt. Gently stir the mixture with a fork to blend. Don't mix too much...just so it's all moist. Some lumps in the mix are ok.

Take the warm/hot skillet out of the oven and set on the stove. Take the other half of the stick of butter and run it all around the skillet to coat it really good. No need to use the whole 1/2 stick, just a good coating.

Pour the mix into the skillet and put in the over for 35 minutes or so. Should be a nice golden color when done. Let stand for 10 minutes then enjoy!

Let me know how it turns out. Some people don't put as much sugar if any so if it's sweet for your taste then reduce the sugar the next time.

;)

It all starts with a 9" cast iron skillet. If you don't have one, get one. Lodge is a great brand to search out and never wash it with any soap.

Melt 1/2 cup of real butter then mix with 1/2 to 2/3 cup of sugar in a large bowl. Whisk it really good.

Add 1 cup of buttermilk and 3 or 4 pinches of baking soda. Whisk some more. Optional...add a splash of Jack Daniels or a splash of beer. Whisk. Then put the whisk in the sink.

Add 1 cup of corn meal, 1 cup of flour, and 3 or 4 pinches of salt. Gently stir the mixture with a fork to blend. Don't mix too much...just so it's all moist. Some lumps in the mix are ok.

Take the warm/hot skillet out of the oven and set on the stove. Take the other half of the stick of butter and run it all around the skillet to coat it really good. No need to use the whole 1/2 stick, just a good coating.

Pour the mix into the skillet and put in the over for 35 minutes or so. Should be a nice golden color when done. Let stand for 10 minutes then enjoy!

Let me know how it turns out. Some people don't put as much sugar if any so if it's sweet for your taste then reduce the sugar the next time.

;)
i will try that....I have not tried to make my own cornbread yet....All i cook with is cast iron....One skillet i use for my eggs has been past down from my great great granny....It is what i learned too cook on..Long as people know how to cure there pan right..And treat them with right..They never stick ;)

Im loaded down with all her baking stuff..And she had tons and tons of it...I tring to relearn how to use it...One deal she had...called a oster regency..Damn thing makes a transformer look simple sometimes..lol....Blender...Mixer...Ice cream maker...Meat grinder...Sausage maker with bags...potato and meat slicer and veggie....Back when they made one unit that could do everything you needed..lol..60's and 70's tupper everywere. ..Closets full of nice vintage equipment that i need to start using.

Awesome! My coffee maker is a percolator from the 40s. My favorite part is the cloth covered cord. I have a few items from the 70s. I much rather have anything old than the new disposable crap they sell now. My waffle iron can be thouroughly abused and no worries, it'll still work.

Try the cornbread it's super easy and hard to mess up unless you go overboard of the optional ingredients.

Miss Sue wants to know if she can borrow some of your JD or ale.

She doesn't have any in the house.
Bwahahaha! Nice. Tell Miss Sue it's for medicinal purposes. I'll bring some to church for her Sunday. :D

I am from Tennessee after all. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

;)
Great Recipe, will absolutely make that.

Don't have a cast iron 9" but something close.

Now need a big pot of chili; beef, beans, tomatoes, onions

and a few other things. Do you have a favorite chili recipe?

mike

Back