CAUTION applying Mach1 deck lid stripes to a vert

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I had the Jim Osborn ones. Maybe it does not count for every manufacturer.

I just wanted to warn you in case you wanna apply the Mach 1 deck lid decals to a convertible like I did. Bear in mind that those are made for fastbacks and not for verts.

That means that they won't fit properly as the vert's deck lid is much wider than that of a Fastback.

Now these decals come in 3 pieces, the center stipe and the two curves that go on the quarter panel extensions. Those quarter panel extensions are much wider on a fastback, so the middle stripe is about two inches too short on each side of the deck lid, and you need to cut a piece off the curved ones and tape it to the deck lid and make sure that the stripes continue in a straight line .

Because the transition between those 3 stripes will not be in the gap between the extensions and the deck lid it means that you have almost no material to wrap around the edges.

I wish I had known this before I ordered the stripes.

In fact, I never even noticed that the lids were of different width on coupes, convertibles and fastbacks. I only found out while I was taping them into place with masking tape that I was gonna have to improvise. I invented some very interesting foul words along the way, believe me. :)

So, now you know.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures. I was too pissed to think about that. :)

By the way, all of this also applies to coupes.

If you click the pic and blow it up you can see the transition between the parts right above the white reverse light on the driver side. The passenger side turned out better and is harder to see.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Luxtang. Your car is wicked cool and I completely understand if something doesnt look "quite right" in your eyes, but the stripes look really good. I've looked at your pics many times because I have debated blacking out my back panel for the Boss look your car has. Did you put the side stripes on yet? I ask because I have had a set of stripes sitting in the tube for a couple of years and am debating on putting them on, so I would love to see tour car with the side stripes installed if you've done so!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I had the Jim Osborn ones. Maybe it does not count for every manufacturer.

I just wanted to warn you in case you wanna apply the Mach 1 deck lid decals to a convertible like I did. Bear in mind that those are made for fastbacks and not for verts.

That means that they won't fit properly as the vert's deck lid is much wider than that of a Fastback.

Now these decals come in 3 pieces, the center stipe and the two curves that go on the quarter panel extensions. Those quarter panel extensions are much wider on a fastback, so the middle stripe is about two inches too short on each side of the deck lid, and you need to cut a piece off the curved ones and tape it to the deck lid and make sure that the stripes continue in a straight line .

Because the transition between those 3 stripes will not be in the gap between the extensions and the deck lid it means that you have almost no material to wrap around the edges.

I wish I had known this before I ordered the stripes.

In fact, I never even noticed that the lids were of different width on coupes, convertibles and fastbacks. I only found out while I was taping them into place with masking tape that I was gonna have to improvise. I invented some very interesting foul words along the way, believe me. :)

So, now you know.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures. I was too pissed to think about that. :)

By the way, all of this also applies to coupes.

If you click the pic and blow it up you can see the transition between the parts right above the white reverse light on the driver side. The passenger side turned out better and is harder to see.

attachment.php
Looks pretty good from here!

I would of never thought that either...But kinda makes sense...Only major body part that is interchangable on our stangs is the front clip pretty much..lol...Door too..besides window glass bit taller on grands...same with verts too?

still looks good..and i seen worse stripe jobs...But i understand. Sometimes you want it perfict..specialy when you do it your self...reason why you do...It is that muscian in you ;)...lol

It is that muscian in you ;)...lol
Nope. Then I woulda put it on with some distortion and maybe a little chorus and delay. Most of all, the stripes woulda been much louder. :-D

Hi Luxtang. Your car is wicked cool and I completely understand if something doesnt look "quite right" in your eyes, but the stripes look really good. I've looked at your pics many times because I have debated blacking out my back panel for the Boss look your car has. Did you put the side stripes on yet? I ask because I have had a set of stripes sitting in the tube for a couple of years and am debating on putting them on, so I would love to see tour car with the side stripes installed if you've done so!
Nope, no side stripes. They would make the car look too stock in my opinion. I am debating with myself on putting some stripes on the sides but then I will have to come up with something different.

Time will tell. :)

Mike,

I had to look hard but I see what you're saying.... I wouldn't have thought about the difference in size either with reagrds to the deck lid. I've wanted to put the stripes on the deck lid for ages because I've always felt it just wasn't complete....have to look at having them painted on when I get the car painted.

Funny thing, there is a semi-abandoned project '71/72 convertible here in Miami, sitting on the side of a house - and it's done up exactly the same way as Lux's car (right down to the paint scheme).

It's too far from the road to have had an opportunity to examine how they got around the narrower trunk stripe section, but I'll knock on the door someday. It looks like one of those left-for-dead 1990's restomods, so it's probably been done up with spliced stripes.

-Kurt

Funny thing, there is a semi-abandoned project '71/72 convertible here in Miami, sitting on the side of a house - and it's done up exactly the same way as Lux's car (right down to the paint scheme).

It's too far from the road to have had an opportunity to examine how they got around the narrower trunk stripe section, but I'll knock on the door someday. It looks like one of those left-for-dead 1990's restomods, so it's probably been done up with spliced stripes.

-Kurt
Well someone must have had great taste....! :)

Let´s talk business. Of course there is no way I can tolerate that sort of Luxstang wannabe. Can you make it disappear and how much will it cost? Make it look like an accident. :)

Let´s talk business. Of course there is no way I can tolerate that sort of Luxstang wannabe. Can you make it disappear and how much will it cost? Make it look like an accident. :)
I'll find out how much they want. You wire me the money, and I'll make it disappear to my driveway immediately.

-Kurt

I had no plans of putting a decal on my trunk lid but I really like that one you found on ebay mpdsr. Thanks for sharing!

Mach I stripe.

Luxstang - Thanks for the info in the PM.

I'm looking to either do this stripe. Guy claims custom for the vert. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Convertible-or-Coupe-Trunk-Stripe-Decal-Kit-/280863195512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4164c04178&vxp=mtr

Or the Mach I stripe from Mustangs Unlimited as I'm looking to make it a Mach I Tribute.

Luxstang - that's a really nice job. I'm thinking some careful taping, a pinstripe brush and some careful paint matching could blend in the driver's side so only you would know....

I had no plans of putting a decal on my trunk lid but I really like that one you found on ebay mpdsr. Thanks for sharing!

Mach I stripe.

Luxstang - Thanks for the info in the PM.

I'm looking to either do this stripe. Guy claims custom for the vert. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Convertible-or-Coupe-Trunk-Stripe-Decal-Kit-/280863195512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4164c04178&vxp=mtr

Or the Mach I stripe from Mustangs Unlimited as I'm looking to make it a Mach I Tribute.

Great. Lets us know how the install goes.

Back