'72 fastback trapdoor, fold down seat help

It started off when I tried to put my new "CJPonyParts" trunk mat down. I found to make it go all the way forward past the hump in the front of the trunk, I had to remove a 14" by 41" carpeted piece that was held down with four 2 1/2 " sheetmetal screws ( probably not a Ford installation). This piece was also partially covering the spare tire mounting bracket. Now to be able to use the bracket, I will have to cut the mat. I thought it would come pre cut.

What I really want to know is...does anyone have pictures, or a website I can go to to see the different ways the folddown seat moves around, where the trapdoor fits into this monkey motion, and if that large piece was supposed to be screwed down like it was, covering part of the trunk and the spare tire mount. I do have an interior manual, but I don't see any clear description of how all this is supposed to work, or is assembled.

Do you know if the car came with the fold down seat originally? I think that they also came with a space saver spare because the full size didn't fit with the fold down. Anyway, let me know if you want and I'll take pictures of how things work for my 73. Just ignore my trunk mat...

1673if.png

50 F1

73 Mach 1

86 F150

96 F150

2014 F150

Always looking

Do you know if the car came with the fold down seat originally? I think that they also came with a space saver spare because the full size didn't fit with the fold down. Anyway, let me know if you want and I'll take pictures of how things work for my 73. Just ignore my trunk mat...

The tire mounting fixture is on the right side on where the trunk slopes up. Good question about the fold down seat. Would the door tag identify that? I wish I had a side by side to compare to. Yes, if you can send me pictures, that woudl help greatly.

OK, here is where the tire spare tire mount is in mine. There is no spare currently and the fire extinguisher takes the place of the inflation bottle.

dczbwk.jpg

1zn7uc1.jpg

Let me know if there are other areas that you want to see.

1673if.png

50 F1

73 Mach 1

86 F150

96 F150

2014 F150

Always looking

IMG_2296_zpse481ac30.jpg

IMG_2297_zps2a622835.jpg

Good pictures, thank you. You also have a fastback right? I have nothing that looks like your tire/bottle mount in my trunk. My tire mount is on the up slope of the trunk on the right side.......The picture that shows the trap door open and laying in the trunk would not work on my car if I had the spare tire attached to the fixture. I will post pictures later today. I will try to fit my trapdoor today and see what I have. Is there any part of the folddown assembly that is supposed to be permanatly attached to the car? The piece I am talking about is the one that has 2 metal recesses in it.

My fold down 73 had both spare tire holders. I think the one in the middle came on all cars and the mini spare was added to the fold down seat models. Does your floor have the 2 bracket holders for the fold down door?

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

IMG_2296_zpse481ac30.jpg

IMG_2297_zps2a622835.jpg

Good pictures, thank you. You also have a fastback right? I have nothing that looks like your tire/bottle mount in my trunk. My tire mount is on the up slope of the trunk on the right side.......The picture that shows the trap door open and laying in the trunk would not work on my car if I had the spare tire attached to the fixture. I will post pictures later today. I will try to fit my trapdoor today and see what I have. Is there any part of the folddown assembly that is supposed to be permanatly attached to the car? The piece I am talking about is the one that has 2 metal recesses in it.

Just went back out and looked at my trunk from the back forward, and from inside the car to the trunk. My car is completely open from side to side, wheel housing to wheel housing. I have nothing to attach the trap door to. I have nothing seperating the trunk area from the interior of the car. I wonder if the previous owner cut this area up for some reason?

IMG_2296_zpse481ac30.jpg

IMG_2297_zps2a622835.jpg

Just went back out and looked at my trunk from the back forward, and from inside the car to the trunk. My car is completely open from side to side, wheel housing to wheel housing. I have nothing to attach the trap door to. I have nothing seperating the trunk area from the interior of the car. I wonder if the previous owner cut this area up for some reason?

Take a look at vthe first picture in this post. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-converting-from-regular-to-fold-down-rear-seats?highlight=fold+down

It is a non fold down car. Does you car still have the rear window package tray in that picture? Looks like a shelf under the rear window.

2rr7aiv.png

Yes, I have a fastback. That is the carpeted pass through door and it looks exactly like mine. The frame around the pass through door is permanently attached. All the rest comes out - trap door, seat bottom, fold down back, etc. Here are a couple of pictures from the inside with most of it removed.

afet1x.jpg

257q8pk.jpg

2jfc0ht.jpg

1673if.png

50 F1

73 Mach 1

86 F150

96 F150

2014 F150

Always looking

Yes, I have a fastback. That is the carpeted pass through door and it looks exactly like mine. The frame around the pass through door is permanently attached. All the rest comes out - trap door, seat bottom, fold down back, etc. Here are a couple of pictures from the inside with most of it removed.

afet1x.jpg

257q8pk.jpg

2jfc0ht.jpg

Thanks, great pictures and help, for starters I have no frame on either side. It was either removed or was never there. This is my first expierience with a fastabck, my previous was a '66 notchback. Are these pieces available? Was there a fastback model with no frames like you have?

Sounds to me as if someone replaced the trunk floor in your car and didn't reinstall the latches in the trunk or the frames.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

Take a look at vthe first picture in this post. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-converting-from-regular-to-fold-down-rear-seats?highlight=fold+down

It is a non fold down car. Does you car still have the rear window package tray in that picture? Looks like a shelf under the rear window.

From the pictures on the thread you sent, it appears I have a non-fold down model. No I have no package tray either, I assumed it was just missing from the car when I got it. When I got the car it had the fold down seat, and a trap door layinin the back not attached to anything. Just went and looked at my setup again. The rear seat back is attached to the floor. There is an "L" shaped, carpeted piece that is hinged to the top of the seat back, the back side of the seat back is also carpeted. There was also a 14 x 41 inch carpeted piece that was screwed to the floor behind the seat back that I removed so the trunk mat would be able to extend all the way forward. Thanks for your help, I am trying to figure this all out.

In the pictures I posted, the piece behind the rear seat that is screwed to the floor is sitting half way in the trunk. It sounds to me like you did have a fold down. If you can send some pictures from the inside, I can give you a better guess. Are the side trim pieces attached? Here is a picture of one for a fold down that was out to install a speaker. (A PO installed bad speakers and I was replacing them. These are not reproduced and I would not suggest cutting into them if they are intact.) The carpeted piece that was screwed to the floor sits on top of the lips on the trim. I stopped my trunk mat at the pass through door because that was the end of the trunk in my opinion.

v7xe2a.jpg

1673if.png

50 F1

73 Mach 1

86 F150

96 F150

2014 F150

Always looking

In the pictures I posted, the piece behind the rear seat that is screwed to the floor is sitting half way in the trunk. It sounds to me like you did have a fold down. If you can send some pictures from the inside, I can give you a better guess. Are the side trim pieces attached? Here is a picture of one for a fold down that was out to install a speaker. (A PO installed bad speakers and I was replacing them. These are not reproduced and I would not suggest cutting into them if they are intact.) The carpeted piece that was screwed to the floor sits on top of the lips on the trim. I stopped my trunk mat at the pass through door because that was the end of the trunk in my opinion.

v7xe2a.jpg

mustange.thumb.png.b063e2d3c0e46ec36596d0333987b8ac.png

v7xe2a.jpg

This is what I am dealing with.

mustange.thumb.png.b063e2d3c0e46ec36596d0333987b8ac.png

Looks like you had a standard rear seat car, with a package tray, and someone started to cut it out for the fold down.... You're missing some metal.

1973 Mach 1 Q code 351 4V, 9A paint, standard interior, 3.50 rear, C6 trans.

It certainly does look like that was not originally a fold down rear seat. Hopefully you can fabricate the missing parts. The earlier shots I posted shown what they should look like.

1673if.png

50 F1

73 Mach 1

86 F150

96 F150

2014 F150

Always looking

The first picture (like yours) is a standard back seat. The second is a fold down. See the difference at the top?

DSCN1682.thumb.JPG.7fefdfe831d863608f647316e50001d2.JPGDSCN1692.thumb.JPG.72c0a97ed707ceeea46d9140d8b29fcc.JPG

2rr7aiv.png

Looks as if someone tried converting Danno's car from a fixed seat to a fold-down, and didn't quite realize what they got into until they chopped off the rear seat support.

This is what it's supposed to look like, along with the package tray support:

71_mustang_70.jpg

-Kurt

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

It certainly does look like that was not originally a fold down rear seat. Hopefully you can fabricate the missing parts. The earlier shots I posted shown what they should look like.

THAT makes my day, for sure.....what are my options now? Is it savable without too much work? If I continue with the rear seat etc like it is what do I need to do? I am working from the trunk to the front, (methodically, because of the weather and I have the car backed in to the garage)). I thought that interior cosmetics were all I had to deal with. I know I have a very noisy front end, squeaks and groans, but that I can handle. I want to keep moving forward in the car, putting this on the back burner for now and address the minimal rust on the floors and start to reinstall the interior. Are these missing supports a "big deal"?

Looks as if someone tried converting Danno's car from a fixed seat to a fold-down, and didn't quite realize what they got into until they chopped off the rear seat support.

This is what it's supposed to look like, along with the package tray support:

71_mustang_70.jpg

-Kurt

I am missing the package tray support and the seat back support. Now at least I know what I am dealing with. What is the curved trim panel that is just below the window called........that is gone too. Are the tray support and seat back support one piece?

I am missing the package tray support and the seat back support. Now at least I know what I am dealing with. What is the curved trim panel that is just below the window called........that is gone too. Are the tray support and seat back support one piece?

Not sure what the steel back end of the package tray is called, but Don at OMS should be able to hook you up with everything, along with the proper non-folding seat setup.

You should be able to recoup some of your expenses by selling off the retracting seat assembly.

I don't remember exactly if the package tray is one piece or not, but it is welded to the inner fenders. You should be able to find your answer in the seat conversion thread: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-converting-from-regular-to-fold-down-rear-seats?highlight=fold+down

Again, Don is the fellow to speak with for the replacement sheet metal. No repops for this.

-Kurt

Not sure what the steel back end of the package tray is called, but Don at OMS should be able to hook you up with everything, along with the proper non-folding seat setup.

You should be able to recoup some of your expenses by selling off the retracting seat assembly.

Thanks, I looked at the thread you mentioned.....WAYYYYY beyond my expertise at this point. I am still looking for more options, and still wondering what was going through the PO's mind when he started cutting........

I don't remember exactly if the package tray is one piece or not, but it is welded to the inner fenders. You should be able to find your answer in the seat conversion thread: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-converting-from-regular-to-fold-down-rear-seats?highlight=fold+down

Again, Don is the fellow to speak with for the replacement sheet metal. No repops for this.

-Kurt

Danno,

Take a deep breath! Look, if you have the parts for the fold down seats, I can help with the frame around it. The 2 pieces you really need to find is the bottom support that the door hinge and trim screws to that welds to the trunk floor and the smaller cover that inserts under the window. The sides you can fabricated relatively easy. Give Don at OMS a PM and see if maybe he has any parts available. We'll get you where you want to go.

2rr7aiv.png

Danno,

Take a deep breath! Look, if you have the parts for the fold down seats, I can help with the frame around it. The 2 pieces you really need to find is the bottom support that the door hinge and trim screws to that welds to the trunk floor and the smaller cover that inserts under the window. The sides you can fabricated relatively easy. Give Don at OMS a PM and see if maybe he has any parts available. We'll get you where you want to go.

Thanks, I will do that.............