'72 fastback trapdoor, fold down seat help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
It started off when I tried to put my new "CJPonyParts" trunk mat down. I found to make it go all the way forward past the hump in the front of the trunk, I had to remove a 14" by 41" carpeted piece that was held down with four 2 1/2 " sheetmetal screws ( probably not a Ford installation). This piece was also partially covering the spare tire mounting bracket. Now to be able to use the bracket, I will have to cut the mat. I thought it would come pre cut.

What I really want to know is...does anyone have pictures, or a website I can go to to see the different ways the folddown seat moves around, where the trapdoor fits into this monkey motion, and if that large piece was supposed to be screwed down like it was, covering part of the trunk and the spare tire mount. I do have an interior manual, but I don't see any clear description of how all this is supposed to work, or is assembled.

Do you know if the car came with the fold down seat originally? I think that they also came with a space saver spare because the full size didn't fit with the fold down. Anyway, let me know if you want and I'll take pictures of how things work for my 73. Just ignore my trunk mat...

Do you know if the car came with the fold down seat originally? I think that they also came with a space saver spare because the full size didn't fit with the fold down. Anyway, let me know if you want and I'll take pictures of how things work for my 73. Just ignore my trunk mat...
The tire mounting fixture is on the right side on where the trunk slopes up. Good question about the fold down seat. Would the door tag identify that? I wish I had a side by side to compare to. Yes, if you can send me pictures, that woudl help greatly.

OK, here is where the tire spare tire mount is in mine. There is no spare currently and the fire extinguisher takes the place of the inflation bottle.

dczbwk.jpg

1zn7uc1.jpg

Let me know if there are other areas that you want to see.

Good pictures, thank you. You also have a fastback right? I have nothing that looks like your tire/bottle mount in my trunk. My tire mount is on the up slope of the trunk on the right side.......The picture that shows the trap door open and laying in the trunk would not work on my car if I had the spare tire attached to the fixture. I will post pictures later today. I will try to fit my trapdoor today and see what I have. Is there any part of the folddown assembly that is supposed to be permanatly attached to the car? The piece I am talking about is the one that has 2 metal recesses in it.

My fold down 73 had both spare tire holders. I think the one in the middle came on all cars and the mini spare was added to the fold down seat models. Does your floor have the 2 bracket holders for the fold down door?

Good pictures, thank you. You also have a fastback right? I have nothing that looks like your tire/bottle mount in my trunk. My tire mount is on the up slope of the trunk on the right side.......The picture that shows the trap door open and laying in the trunk would not work on my car if I had the spare tire attached to the fixture. I will post pictures later today. I will try to fit my trapdoor today and see what I have. Is there any part of the folddown assembly that is supposed to be permanatly attached to the car? The piece I am talking about is the one that has 2 metal recesses in it.
Just went back out and looked at my trunk from the back forward, and from inside the car to the trunk. My car is completely open from side to side, wheel housing to wheel housing. I have nothing to attach the trap door to. I have nothing seperating the trunk area from the interior of the car. I wonder if the previous owner cut this area up for some reason?

Just went back out and looked at my trunk from the back forward, and from inside the car to the trunk. My car is completely open from side to side, wheel housing to wheel housing. I have nothing to attach the trap door to. I have nothing seperating the trunk area from the interior of the car. I wonder if the previous owner cut this area up for some reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have a fastback. That is the carpeted pass through door and it looks exactly like mine. The frame around the pass through door is permanently attached. All the rest comes out - trap door, seat bottom, fold down back, etc. Here are a couple of pictures from the inside with most of it removed.

afet1x.jpg

257q8pk.jpg

2jfc0ht.jpg

Yes, I have a fastback. That is the carpeted pass through door and it looks exactly like mine. The frame around the pass through door is permanently attached. All the rest comes out - trap door, seat bottom, fold down back, etc. Here are a couple of pictures from the inside with most of it removed.

afet1x.jpg

257q8pk.jpg

2jfc0ht.jpg
Thanks, great pictures and help, for starters I have no frame on either side. It was either removed or was never there. This is my first expierience with a fastabck, my previous was a '66 notchback. Are these pieces available? Was there a fastback model with no frames like you have?

Sounds to me as if someone replaced the trunk floor in your car and didn't reinstall the latches in the trunk or the frames.

-Kurt

Take a look at vthe first picture in this post. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-converting-from-regular-to-fold-down-rear-seats?highlight=fold+down

It is a non fold down car. Does you car still have the rear window package tray in that picture? Looks like a shelf under the rear window.
From the pictures on the thread you sent, it appears I have a non-fold down model. No I have no package tray either, I assumed it was just missing from the car when I got it. When I got the car it had the fold down seat, and a trap door layinin the back not attached to anything. Just went and looked at my setup again. The rear seat back is attached to the floor. There is an "L" shaped, carpeted piece that is hinged to the top of the seat back, the back side of the seat back is also carpeted. There was also a 14 x 41 inch carpeted piece that was screwed to the floor behind the seat back that I removed so the trunk mat would be able to extend all the way forward. Thanks for your help, I am trying to figure this all out.

In the pictures I posted, the piece behind the rear seat that is screwed to the floor is sitting half way in the trunk. It sounds to me like you did have a fold down. If you can send some pictures from the inside, I can give you a better guess. Are the side trim pieces attached? Here is a picture of one for a fold down that was out to install a speaker. (A PO installed bad speakers and I was replacing them. These are not reproduced and I would not suggest cutting into them if they are intact.) The carpeted piece that was screwed to the floor sits on top of the lips on the trim. I stopped my trunk mat at the pass through door because that was the end of the trunk in my opinion.

v7xe2a.jpg

In the pictures I posted, the piece behind the rear seat that is screwed to the floor is sitting half way in the trunk. It sounds to me like you did have a fold down. If you can send some pictures from the inside, I can give you a better guess. Are the side trim pieces attached? Here is a picture of one for a fold down that was out to install a speaker. (A PO installed bad speakers and I was replacing them. These are not reproduced and I would not suggest cutting into them if they are intact.) The carpeted piece that was screwed to the floor sits on top of the lips on the trim. I stopped my trunk mat at the pass through door because that was the end of the trunk in my opinion.

v7xe2a.jpg

mustange.png

v7xe2a.jpg
This is what I am dealing with.

mustange.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly does look like that was not originally a fold down rear seat. Hopefully you can fabricate the missing parts. The earlier shots I posted shown what they should look like.

Back