Ignition lock cylinder came out with key

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
Took the 71 out today for a cruise, got home went to remove the key and the whole lock cylinder came out with it, I've tried to line it up and slip if back in but can't get it to go all the way. I also found a very small brass "pin" inside the hole, it's depicted in the in the photos, it's probably why the lock cylinder came out.

I'm sure there's a process to put it back, looking for advice, just glad it happened in my drive way.

Jim

Key.jpgKey1.jpg

That's either the lock pin that holds the cylinder in place or one of the key pins. Does it have the metal cap in place on the cylinder holding the springs and pins in place?

Might be time for a new lock cylinder. They are installed when the key position is in the accsory position, turned back from the off position. You might be able to put yours in the acc. position with needle nose pliers and try to reinstall it again.

You need a new lock which means new door locks.

The pin looks short to me and there should be a spring.

Same thing happened to me. I could put the lock back in

and drive the car. As I recall we needed to pull the steering

wheel to replace the switch.

mike

No need to pull the wheel, If you get a new lock cylinder, take it and the old lock to a locksmith, he can swap the tumblers and you can use the same key. just turn the inside to the ACC position with a screwdriver and insert the new lock. turning the key locks it in.

No need to pull the wheel, If you get a new lock cylinder, take it and the old lock to a locksmith, he can swap the tumblers and you can use the same key. just turn the inside to the ACC position with a screwdriver and insert the new lock. turning the key locks it in.
I found a complete NOS lock kit with doors and ignition on Ebay at a great price so I purchased them, should receive them next week. My key has never fit the passengers door so I decided this is a "forced" opportunity to change them all out. You mention I should turn inside to the ACC position when inserting the new lock but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know where he ACC position is with the cylinder removed?

All the advice is much appreciated.

Jim

I've changed out a couple and on installation just lined up the new lock with the grooves in the column, with the key in the lock position pushed it down until seated then turn the key to ACC to set the pin into the column. Turn key to the off position and pull it out. That should set the lock. OP's lock definately sheared the pin.

I've changed out a couple and on installation just lined up the new lock with the grooves in the column, with the key in the lock position pushed it down until seated then turn the key to ACC to set the pin into the column. Turn key to the off position and pull it out. That should set the lock. OP's lock definately sheared the pin.
Thanks Mike, I think I accidently put it in the ACC position and pulled the key out because the radio turns on even with the lock cylinder out. I've disconnected the battery to avoid any drains just in case until I replace they cylinder when it comes in.

What's confusing to me is why the old one won't go all the way back in, is it because it's in the ACC position and needs to be in the lock position? But since the cylinder is out I have no clue as how to get into the locked position.

Jim

Took the ignition lock cylinder to a mechanic friend who works on old cars and he verified the pin did shear, plus it's a reproduction part, not the original. He advised against reproduction cylinders unless OEM parts couldn't be found, he's seen a few where pins sheared on the reproductions just as mine did.

If anyone else is looking for a NOS door & ignition door lock set the Ebay seller I ordered mine from has one set left at $69.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Door-Ignition-Lock-Set-With-Keys-Ford-Boss-351-Mustang-71-/350543949827

This is a NOS set of door locks with matching ignition cylinder. These have the original early style "small hole" Ford keys, and original code tags still attached. Keys have "FORD" on one side, and "FAMILY OF FINE CARS" on the other side. Set consists of (2) door locks, (1) ignition cylinder, (2) Ford keys, (2) retainers and gaskets. Fit 1971-1972 Ford Mustang.

Thanks Mark the instructions will really come handy when the new cylinder comes and I go to install it. I agree it appears the lock pin is what failed allowing the cylinder to slip out. Found the little brass pin laying loose.

lock.jpg

Received the new lock set today and following all the advice I've received installing the ignition cylinder was was amazingly simple. Just made sure the locking pin was pushed down on the cylinder by turning the key in the cylinder to the right until it retracted, lined the steering wheel column's female portion up with ignition cylinder shaft by using a screw driver, inserted the cylinder, then turned it all the way to the left which caused the locking pin to engage. Took less than two minutes...now the hard part, removing the door panels and replacing the door locks so I can use the same key, but that's a weekend project, I'm just happy I can now start it.

As a side note the NOS ignition cylinder I ordered felt heavier than the reproduction ignition cylinder that failed in my car.

Received the new lock set today and following all the advice I've received installing the ignition cylinder was was amazingly simple. Just made sure the locking pin was pushed down on the cylinder by turning the key in the cylinder to the right until it retracted, lined the steering wheel column's female portion up with ignition cylinder shaft by using a screw driver, inserted the cylinder, then turned it all the way to the left which caused the locking pin to engage. Took less than two minutes...now the hard part, removing the door panels and replacing the door locks so I can use the same key, but that's a weekend project, I'm just happy I can now start it.

As a side note the NOS ignition cylinder I ordered felt heavier than the reproduction ignition cylinder that failed in my car.
Good for you! I love a success story.

Depending on the age of the door panels and when

they were last removed, could be a bit cranky.

The lock itself is easy. Your NOS switch is good for many

more years :D

mike

Good for you! I love a success story.

Depending on the age of the door panels and when

they were last removed, could be a bit cranky.

The lock itself is easy. Your NOS switch is good for many

more years :D

mike

Thank Mike. I've got lots of experience with the door panels, had them off for a series of issues including rattling windows, changing weather stripping and painting. The last time I put them back on I went with industrial velcro strips knowing there would be a day I would need to take them off again, can't tell the difference and all I have to do is tug it off then stick it back on.

Jim

Back