Catastrophic Hood Latch Failure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Took the 'vert out for a spin, and on a straight empty stretch outside of town I opened her up. At about 90MPH the hood flew up and bent over backwards. Didn't hit the windshield and no one was hurt, thank God. Bent both hinges and I'm certain the hood is only a worthless piece of sheet metal now. Here's the pics from the side of the road:

Hood damage (Small).jpg

Hood damage 2 (Small).jpg

Severe Hood Damage (Small).jpg

Hood hinge (Small).jpg

Hood off.jpg

Both hinges are bent as well. So it looks like I need to find two hood hinges and a new convertible hood. Anyone have something like that sitting in the corner of the garage? I will also need to pay shipping to 89445. Dang the luck! Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Time for a Ram Air hood and lock downs.

That really sucks! I'm glad nobody was hurt, and that the damage was minor. It could have been alot worse!

Ouch! I woulda had to change my underpants after that incident.

Shows that hood pins are not only for show. I feel a lot safer with them as I often push it to 105 mph on the Autobahn.

Is the cowl/inner fender area ok, where the hinges are attached?

I also have a hood I just picked up with some doors in chicago. I needed the doors, I wont be using the hood. If the others don't work out let me know. i'm in Indiana so shipping may be expensive. I have never shipped anything like that and I wouldn't know where to start. Im thinking I may have to add hood pins when the time comes on mine. That would most certainly ruin a great run. Thankfully no one was hurt and you kept calm and didn't wreck, good job. one question underwear still usable? I know mine would be in bad shape. :) Dennis

Wow Doc!!

I am so very glad that no one was apparently injured.

As you probably know, the hood is readily available from the Vendors. The problem will be with the shipping, in my opinion. I would think that Mike (Motor City Mustang) or Don (OMS) might also be a possible source for a "used" one.

Considering shipping costs, it might serve you better to find one closer where you might be able to pick it up.

I am REALLY sorry to read about the incident but again am glad to know no one was injured.

Hang in there, my Friend!

BT

Sorry to hear what happened!

Happened to me on a Country Squire Wagon a long time ago.

Glad no one was hurt.

Check Craig's, there's always someone replacing their standard hood with a NASA.

You might even place an add saying that you looking for a standard hood.

You'd be surprised how many of these hood are laying around in people's garages!

That was bad, and congratulations for handing the situation so well.

I have often worried about my hood flying up and was always checking the hood to make sure it was latched securely. My younger brother had a 73 Mach 1 and we would also run a chain -- same one used to put in his 351 C -- around the pin in the hood and lower radiator support. This was also done to keep people out of his engine compartment. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
New NASA hood

New hood hinges w/ springs

Shipped 625.00

ADD complete ram air kit 529.95

ADD complete twist lock kit 219.95

What is bad on the latch side ??? Latch or catch

Real sorry to hear about this incident. Do you know what actually failed?

I'd be real interested to know as I own one just like yours.

Thanks for the concerns, everyone. The underwear made it through OK. :) I was fortunate that it was an empty road and the top was down so I had a clear view all around to shut it down and get to the side of the road.

Super-Mustang in OK City and Chris71Vert up the coast in Eugene, OR have a line on a couple of hoods. Shipping may be the sticky part. Don - your whole package deal may be the way to go, especially now that the NACA/NASA hood upgrade is sounding more and more interesting.

Don and Tom, I don't see anything screwy with the latch mechanism although the hood has always been hard to open after putting it back on after the rebuild. It may have not been latched properly, so the catch may have not been able to save the hood if the hood slipped through the latch.

I feel a lot better this morning after not finding much last night. I now have some options. Thanks again, guys!

I don't see any deformity in the cowl area or fender apron, although the top of the passenger fender took a nasty gouge that will take a little body work and paint. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
MAN, that was bad.

You did magnificent job in handling the situation, good for you!

mike
Agree! A less experience driver would have lost it in a situation like that. Magnificent job of maitaining your cool and landing her safely.

Jim

I saw the thread title but didn't read it until today b/c I knew it would be a bad thing to read. I'm glad no one was hurt and glad no more damage than what was shown. That's crazy! Twist locks for me for all my cars now after seeing this. ;)

Back