Trying different wheels....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug The Dog

I'm back!
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351CJ, 5 Speed. Currently being restored. Projected finish date is some day.....
wheel1.JPGwheel2.JPGNot sure I like the look, plus it will take major modification to the front suspension to make them fit. Any thoughts??

I too found this a difficult choice ... I finally decided to original as possible to go with the look of the 70's.

17 "& 18" are nice but do not belong to the 70's style for a Mustang (my opinion).

I opted for the Magnum 500 15 "x 7" front and 15 "x 8" rear.

The orig. on pic 1 are the nice ones...

:D

I agree with eddy. 17 and 18's don't belong on old Mustangs. Magnum 500's are my choice, but the slotted mags are fine.

What if you went with a 17" in the older style? American Racing has the slotted mags in 17x8. Not to mention you can get the Torque Thrust D's in 16". I have them on my '68 coupe. If you want really good brakes, you're going to at least want 16's.

Slotted rims might be fine and proper, but I'm going with Magnun 500's on my recently purchased 73 vert as I think they look better.

Will be selling the original 73 slotted soon and will post them at this site if anyone is interested.

Out of the 2 wheels posted in the pics the factory slotted wheel looks way better, vintage factory style rims be it slots or magnum 500's look the best on these year cars IMO.

I like the look of the Shelby wheels, but not on this car. I'm sticking with the originals!

The body stripes make me think you have a 71-72? The Ansen alum slots are great looking wheels imo and always indicate a 73 car to me. I think that was the only year 71-73 they were offered from the factory on mustangs? I know they were on the red Torino...and big sellers in the aftermarket. I would like to put magnum 500's on my 72 convert and i think they were offered on any model mustang in 71-72. But, the 15" original size cause caliper clearance problems for most upgrades and the 17" alum wheels are huge dollars.

If you like the magnum 500's, look at American Racing. You can get them in 17x8 and 17x9.5. Perfect size for a '71-'73. As for cost, I don't know. But I agree it's a great look and perfect fit for nice wheels and great brakes.

Agree 100% You can also shop around Ebay to see if you can get an older set from a Torino and clean them up a bit. The newer aftermarket look nice and certainly offer a variety in sizes, but there's just something about the originals that's pretty cool.

-KR

100_1681.JPG

Full Length Pic.jpg

I looked at them, and the look good. The price isnt bad, but i had a few retailers tell me they are always back ordered and hey dont like to offer them because the customers always lose their cool after 3-4 weeks. The domestic guys at Wheel Vintiques are supposed to make the holy grail of alum magnum 500's wih their model 94 available in 17" x 8 up to 10" i believe. But the cost is very steep. Having bent more than 2-3 alum wheels up in the NE im not eager to drop $3k on those show wheels. But they are quite a sight. For that money i think i could get some forged Fikse 5 spoke wheels that wouldnt be magnum 500 looking, but would be proven at the 24hrs of Daytona.

Rutkak, are you saying the wheels in the picture are original factory steel 15" magnum 500's? I dont think you are. But that is a sweet coupe. My first car was a 72 coupe. Stiffest chassis, lightest weight, best outward vision! That is the best 71-73 for roadracing hands down.

That color combination is so classy it looks like like a Cougar! Ha ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Back