perfect aftermarket overflow tank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mycoses

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach-1 351C
I found a perfect fit aftermarket rad overflow tank from Speedway Motors. part # 91102210. brakets fit the existing screw holes in rad support. also looks good. had to fit a small piece of rubber hose inside a bigger piece to fit the male fitting on the tank bottom.

P2184558.JPG

Thanks. Ive been looking for a replacement for the stock one I have. Have not been able to find anything what did not require modification.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Ive been looking for a replacement for the stock one I have. Have not been able to find anything what did not require modification.

Pretty sure there is no stock over flow tank

From the factory there was a hose that dripped on the ground.

Oh. Thanks for the heads up. The mustang I have has been in the family almost as long as I have and I remember the little resuvuar always being there so I just figured it was stock. Learn something new every day.

There was a Ford Accessory overflow tank offered in the 1973 Accessory Catalog by Ford. I posted some pics from the catalog in this thread:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-overflow-tank?highlight=overflow

Definitely not stock...but there is no modification (other than it being there) needed to fit it to the car. I think it adds a nice touch, but fully get it if you're trying to stay totally original in all ways.

John

I got this one from Summit Racing - comes with a hose fitting and a cool drain for the bottom. P/N: 63657 $32.97 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-63657

mor-63657_ml.jpg

Bracket: P/N" 63401 $8.97 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-63401

mor-63401_w_ml.jpg

It's totally restomod, and I'm mounting it next to the windshield washer reservoir. But the tank itself is black plastic, so if you mount it with the logo hidden, you won't even know it's there.

Tried to get a better pic from the 1973 Ford Accessory Brochure:

I have got that catolog too. Has any one ever see the coolant recovery system that ford sold. The part number was 8522
This looks very similar to what I have in the car right now. Its not stamped with any ford logos but its similar in size and shape.

I found a perfect fit aftermarket rad overflow tank from Speedway Motors. part # 91102210. brakets fit the existing screw holes in rad support. also looks good. had to fit a small piece of rubber hose inside a bigger piece to fit the male fitting on the tank bottom.
I have a similar one. I got it through NPD awhile back. Works great and looks even better through the grille.

8a080-2a.jpg

IMG_11994764310642.jpeg

I have that same tank but never installed it as I thought it was just too big. Also with my AC lines there it would have had to have been mounted on the passenger side. Unlike you, I didn't care for the look, though black paint would fix that.

The factory for tank is remarkably similar to this http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Replacement/Coolant_Reservoir/RBS161301.html

but it is cheaper here http://www.carparts.com/results/?uts=true&searchType=global&Ntt=Radiator+Overflow+Tank&N=0&VN=0&No=10&Npp=10, you'll just have to scroll down and find it for like 8 bucks

Although it does look clean, I'm not a big fan of 'foreign items' shining brightly through the grille either. I'm probably even going to wind up painting my A/C lines to the dryer if they show through.

I mounted the same type of overflow tank in the same position. I did not like the way that it stood out. I took it back out, roughed up the shiny finish with Scotch Brite and painted the tank with a rattle can to match the semi gloss black paint in front. The only thing I did not paint was the cap. You can hardly see the overflow tank unless you were really looking for it. The cap only shows up when the hood is open.

Latest posts

Back