71 Coupe in Iceland

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stebbsi

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Coupe
Hi

Here´s my ´71 Coupe wich I bougt in ´08 when I was 18 :D

It´s got a 351 Cleveland motor wich was rebuilt in ´03 and a C4 transmission.

The car is on stands in the garage at the moment because I´m pulling out the trans to rebuild it.

The car needs a paintjob but I cant afford it at the moment s it has to wait :p (unless someone donates me some cash :angel:)

index.php

index.php

index.php

3077340041_200215741c.jpg

3078367508_8c80ce463a.jpg

2972233183_d809bb7917.jpg

Welcome to the forums! Love the coupe! I am restoring a 72 Coupe myself!

Hope you enjoy it here!

It appears Iceland is well represented when it comes to the "big bodied mustangs."

Very nice car - - I particularly like the stance. Are you running original suspension and what size are the wheels and tires?

Welcome to the site!

BT

It appears Iceland is well represented when it comes to the "big bodied mustangs."

Very nice car - - I particularly like the stance. Are you running original suspension and what size are the wheels and tires?

Welcome to the site!

BT
Thanks

The suspension is to my knowledge original, but the car had a collision on the right front side a few years ago and some parts were scrapped and they did a poor job of welding it back together, but it works. The rear is a 9" with 2.81 (or something like that) gears and a no-spin locker :cool:

The tires are 275 50 in the back and 215 60 in the front and the wheels are 15".

Thx.

Stefán Ingi

GREAT selection on the tire sizes - - that probably accounts for the stance.

With that "high" gear, I would assume you do quite a bit of "highway-type" driving?

Again, welcome to the site!

BT

GREAT selection on the tire sizes - - that probably accounts for the stance.

With that "high" gear, I would assume you do quite a bit of "highway-type" driving?

Again, welcome to the site!

BT
The reason I have that gear ratio wasnt my choise, it was in when I bought it and it doesnt bother me as much as most people think :p but I will change to 3.55 or something like that later.

But to answer your question, yes! :p I mostly just cruise around and save the burnouts because those tires are expensive here, I think the two in the back would cost me around 450-600$ with shipping to Iceland, I cant seem to find those tires here at the moment :p

Awesome forum by the way! :D

Kv.

Stefán Ingi

Ps.

The rear end might not be originally from a mustang, a previous owner belived it was from a bronco, is there any way to tell?

The Bronco and Mustang for that period share the same carrier assembly. They are totally interchangeable between the same splines (28 or 31) axles. Generally speaking, they both had the 28 spline 9" rear.

From the factory, the carrier assembly had a metal tag on it that pretty much tells one exactly what ratio it has. It also had a three (3) letter code, probably WFC or WFD (most common 9" 28 spline carriers).

If the tag is missing, you can figure out the rear gear ratio by:

1. Jacking up the rear end

2. Mark a tire with chalk at the 12 o'clock position

3. Mark the drive shaft with the chalk with a horizontal line

4. Rotate the rear tire one full revolution while having some one watch the driveshaft to see how many times it goes around. The number of times the drive shaft rotates determining the axle ratio. I. E., if it rotates 2 1/2 times, it is a 2:50 ratio.

Note: This is if you have a locker or other limited slip axles. If you have an "Open" rear, you will multiply the rotation of the drive shaft by 2, i.e. if it rotates 1 1/4 times that would be a 2:50 ratio.

Again, I would not be concerned about the rear being from a Bronco as they really use the same rearend (Carrier assembly) as the mustang (and many other Ford/Lincoln/Mercury products) for a given application.

Hope this helps!

BT

The Bronco and Mustang for that period share the same carrier assembly. They are totally interchangeable between the same splines (28 or 31) axles. Generally speaking, they both had the 28 spline 9" rear.

From the factory, the carrier assembly had a metal tag on it that pretty much tells one exactly what ratio it has. It also had a three (3) letter code, probably WFC or WFD (most common 9" 28 spline carriers).

If the tag is missing, you can figure out the rear gear ratio by:

1. Jacking up the rear end

2. Mark a tire with chalk at the 12 o'clock position

3. Mark the drive shaft with the chalk with a horizontal line

4. Rotate the rear tire one full revolution while having some one watch the driveshaft to see how many times it goes around. The number of times the drive shaft rotates determining the axle ratio. I. E., if it rotates 2 1/2 times, it is a 2:50 ratio.

Note: This is if you have a locker or other limited slip axles. If you have an "Open" rear, you will multiply the rotation of the drive shaft by 2, i.e. if it rotates 1 1/4 times that would be a 2:50 ratio.

Again, I would not be concerned about the rear being from a Bronco as they really use the same rearend (Carrier assembly) as the mustang (and many other Ford/Lincoln/Mercury products) for a given application.

Hope this helps!

BT
Thanks for the info :D

I´m not worried about the rear end being from a bronco, its all the same to me but I will check this out when I change the gears.

Kv.

Stefán

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back