GIVE YOUR CAR A LIFT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Thought you guys would like to see the stands I made to get the car at a comfortable level for doing the filler work on the lower half of the body..2x4's 16.5" long & deck screws..Now I can sit on a chair instead of laying on the ground..Plus makes it real easy to see...Need to finish the ones for the front..

These would great for lots of other tasks too..Not my idea these been around for a long time..One thing I did do is strap a tire to the stand for peace of mind

101_0199.JPG101_0200.JPG101_0202.JPG

Cool idea Scott...hadn't seen that one before. Might be good for some upside down welding I have in the near future on my grabber blue car. Thanks for posting.

I have used these before but I had center support cause I'm a chicken
I really like the height they provide but I'm with you on being chicken without additional support. I once helped get a man from beneath a car after it fell on his chest, he didn't make it...every since then I support the heck out cars before getting under them.

Jim

how do you jack the car that high to get the stands under the tires??
Floor Jack with a 2x4 block for the extra height right in the center of the rear end

I really like the height they provide but I'm with you on being chicken without additional support. I once helped get a man from beneath a car after it fell on his chest, he didn't make it...every since then I support the heck out cars before getting under them.

Jim
I'm not working under the car & if I was for sure I would have jack stands under the rear & the front..Just something I'm in the habit of doing....takes 5 minutes & you have peace of mind ..Even though I feel super confident in this setup.... YOU MUST STRAP A TIRE TO THE STAND

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim
When I was a youngster I got the chewing of a lifetime when my boss came in and saw me under a car with just a jack...he told me how he was pinned under a car for hours because the seal failed in the jack, and I later lost a friend from the same thing so now I over support.

how do you jack the car that high to get the stands under the tires??
Floor Jack with a 2x4 block for the extra height right in the center of the rear end

Jim
I'm not working under the car & if I was for sure I would have jack stands under the rear & the front..Just something I'm in the habit of doing....takes 5 minutes & you have peace of mind ..Even though I feel super confident in this setup.... YOU MUST STRAP A TIRE TO THE STAND
I knew you would know better but I wanted to make a point for anyone who might try and use this idea as a lift for undercarriage work like I would have when I was young and stupid...not that I'm smart now, just experienced...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
its bad when we take saftey seriously only after someone is hurt!!
Unfortunately that's the way some of us learn...by mistakes
I'm a 46 yr old novice and was seriously considering this to work under the car. Thanks for the follow-up posts guys. You may have saved my wife from a considerable insurance payout and a trip to Europe!

Back