ZBAR INFO (HELP)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnfastbk

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
Ok guys after not really finding what I was looking for on the hydraulic set up, my attention has turned to what I need to go back to a stock zbar set up. But the only problem is I have none of that. I need the complete assembly from the petal to the tranny. Does anyone have that or know where to get it or any pics to show what all I'm missing.

Thanks

Roy

Ok guys after not really finding what I was looking for on the hydraulic set up, my attention has turned to what I need to go back to a stock zbar set up. But the only problem is I have none of that. I need the complete assembly from the petal to the tranny. Does anyone have that or know where to get it or any pics to show what all I'm missing.

Thanks

Roy
Roy heres the exploded diagrams..I think your gonna have a hard time finding a complete unit & if you do it's gonna be a pretty penny..I have some sources let me check in the next day or so & see what I come up with.

Scott

stangclc_0001.jpgstangclc_0002.jpg

Thanks the only rod I have is the one that goes from the pedal down through the floor. At least now I know what I am looking for. Thanks again and let the search start now.

Thanks the only rod I have is the one that goes from the pedal down through the floor. At least now I know what I am looking for. Thanks again and let the search start now.
So you have the under dash bracket & pedal ?

So you have the under dash bracket & pedal ?
yes its a factory four speed car
heres a few parts you need

http://www.cjponyparts.com/CLUTCH-EQUALIZER-BAR-BRACKET-ENGINE-SIDE-SMALL-BLOCK-1971-1973/p/CEBBE6/

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ADJUSTABLE-LOWER-CLUTCH-ROD-1971-1973/p/CRL7/

http://www.mustangpartshouse.com/clutch/equalizer/C0DD-7517-A-1971-73-clutch-equalizer-socket-pair.html

Roy found what you need I will pm you

Scott

Thanks a lot will contact them next week, There is one old guy around here who has bought I think every 4 speed part in town. My buddy knows him, so going to see if he will call him first.

Roy, I may have a used set up if you did not find one yet.

We do have these new...

Item #C5AZ-7513-A

70-73 CLUTCH LEVER BOOT

Correct clutch fork boot. Part number stamped inside boot. 6 1/2 Price: $26.95

Item #C0DD-7517-A

71-73 CLUTCH EQUALIZER SOCKETS, PAIR

Pair of socket type bushings. Made of long wearing nylon. Price: $12.50

Inventory currently out of stock, please check back soon or call for more information.

Item #C9AZ-7591

71-73 CLUTCH RELEASE LEVER RETAINER SPRING

V8 and 6cyl lower clutch release lever retracting spring. Made from original Ford blue prints to the exact specifications of originals. Painted green as original. For 71-73 Mustangs and Cougars manufactured after 6-15-71. Price: $9.95

No Picture Item #C5AZ-7B545-A

71-73 EQUALIZER SOCKET RETAINER

Clutch equalizer socket retainer. Price: $3.50

Item #D1ZZ-3513-A

71-73 FIREWALL TO STEERING COLUMN SEAL, MANUAL

Exact reproduction firewall to steering column seal, for manual transmissions. Made using the original blue prints. Molded rubber that includes special boot for the clutch rod. Price: $21.95

Item #ADJROD71

71-73 LOWER CLUTCH ADJUSTING ROD

Correct reproduction, fits all engine sizes. Price: $24.95

Item #7521-L

71-73 Z BAR ROD, LOWER CLUTCH ROD

Lower equalizer bar adjusting rod. Price: $22.95

Inventory currently out of stock, please check back soon or call for more information.

Item #7521-U

71-73 Z BAR ROD, UPPER CLUTCH ROD

From clutch pedal to equalizer bar. Price: $26.95

Item #351517S

WASHER, FELT, CLUTCH EQUALIZER BAR

Small block clutch equalizer bar felt washer. Correct thickness, to replace missing washers in equalizer bar. Each, 2 required per car. Price: $1.95

I hear ya buddy! I spent $80 on just the equalizer bar itself on ebay! Then there's all the seals, bushings, springs etc. that you need! Plus every zbar from 64-70 is reproduced except ours!

www.americanpowertrain.com

there are aftermarket clutch cable bellhousing for the toploader. and those guys above have the clutch cable you need.

i have the clutch cable from www.moderndriveline.com but i believe their cables are only for tremecs.

the americanpowertrains guys to also have a hydraulic set up but i would believe it would be with a non power disc brake set up due to the large brake booster.

give both guys a call for a clutch cable set up. its alot neater and less headache.

when i was doing my choice between the two companies i mentioned, i dealt with this guy the most and he claims his stuff does work for our cars and he's done them for customers. he mostly mentions about the hydraulic set up though but can't tell me if it was a manual brake car or power (assuming manual). doesn't say too much about the cable. the kits doesn't say it needs a cable bell housing though. i however went with www.moderndriveline.com because i knew people who gone thru them before and mustang suppliers are selling their stuff. no mustang supplier is selling their stuff. so yeah, i went with MD.com.

however, the guy at apt.com says his business is about customer satisfaction and etc so ask him about returns and etc. its well worth it for the ease of installation and headache free trying to find parts.

here is the cable kit:

http://www.americanpowertrain.com/Ford/transmissions/Actuators.html

here is the hydro kit

http://www.americanpowertrain.com/Ford/transmissions/clutch-hydraulic.html

Last edited:
Thanks talked with American power train and he said he could not promise me it it fit a 71-71. That it was designed for a 70 model.

So who[/i] knows and its also 700 bucks

Thanks talked with American power train and he said he could not promise me it it fit a 71-71. That it was designed for a 70 model.

$700? I'm assuming it's the hydro kit ur talking about. I wouldn't get it if it was designed for a 70.

I'd try the cable kit. I know for a fact the MD.com cable works but I think he won't sell unless u buy a kit. But that's hog wash cuz guys like mustang unlimited n NPD will sell it separately but u have to buy a cable bellhousing.

I believe in the 429 megasite somebody themself remade it using some kind Harder metal cuz he had to keep welding his due to a stiffer clutch. Don't know if it's same as 429 n 351. I can't find the thread cuz I'm typing on this little iPhone screen.

$700? I'm assuming it's the hydro kit ur talking about. I wouldn't get it if it was designed for a 70.

I'd try the cable kit. I know for a fact the MD.com cable works but I think he won't sell unless u buy a kit. But that's hog wash cuz guys like mustang unlimited n NPD will sell it separately but u have to buy a cable bellhousing.

I believe in the 429 megasite somebody themself remade it using some kind Harder metal cuz he had to keep welding his due to a stiffer clutch. Don't know if it's same as 429 n 351. I can't find the thread cuz I'm typing on this little iPhone screen.
Yeah it is the hydro kit. Talk with someone else there today and he gave me a much better price on it and talked more about the fitment. Who knows still have a few options out there so.........

how much better of a price?
650 shipped (thats the total price to me) seems by the time I buy the z bar and needed components to make it functional I'm going to be between 450-500 so will have to make a decision soon. Still a couple of feelers out also.

how much better of a price?
650 shipped (thats the total price to me) seems by the time I buy the z bar and needed components to make it functional I'm going to be between 450-500 so will have to make a decision soon. Still a couple of feelers out also.
nothing beats hydraulic stuff versus stock mechanical linkage though or at least a cable!

Hello Gents,

Just wanted to clear up a couple of items. The HydraMax Hydraulic kit for the 71-73 Mustangs is $589, far less than the $700 quoted. I don't know who you spoke to, but it sounds like perhaps there was a price recorded improperly in our computer. This includes everything you need for the install. There is an $89 billet reservoir upgrade available, but it is not necessary for installation as the kit comes stock with a plastic tank.

The system will fit the firewall of the 71-73, though the big boosters make it a bit of a tight squeeze.

The only complication on your car that makes it different than the 65-70 cars is that your clutch pedal is offset from the hole in the firewall for the clutch rod, making it necessary to add a small bracket to the pedal to hook up our pedal rod. We have been looking for a local car (Middle Tennessee) to do a test fit and make a turn-key pedal offset, but have yet to find a car (volunteers are welcome :D). Once we have a test car we will be able to include the bracket in the kit. Until then you are on your own, but the piece is just a small piece of steel stock and customers who have used the system so far have had no difficulties with this simple fabrication.

We have fitment for Toploader, Ford T10 (and GM for that matter) HD Toploader, T5, T56 and TKO.

Hope this clears things up. Questions are welcome.

Back