Hood Lock

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
The 73 has an outside hood release.

I like the hood twist locks but it's not really a lock, twist and open.

I do remember a keyed lock (like the twist) but unable to locate it.

Is anyone here using some sort of lock?

Last edited by a moderator:
To the best of my knowledge, Mustangs never had key locking hood pins. The combination of twist locks and the original hood latch should provide more than enough protection from unintended hood raising. Theft, maybe not. It all depends on what you are looking for. I have the twist locks and factory hood latch. For the uninformed, it is a bit of fun to see them try to get the hood opened!

I used the keyed hood locks back in the 80's when I lived in an apartment complex. Vandalism and mischievous stuff happened all the time. After someone dumped a bag of sugar into my 71 Mach 1 gas tank ( they left the bag laying on the ground, the gas cap open with sugar granules everywhere --- thank you idiots - I had it towed and drained to a buddy's service station) I installed the round key style hood locks and installed a locking gas cap. It was a real 80's thing. The hood lock set up DID NOT match factory (back then who cared!).

FYI

I used the keyed hood locks back in the 80's when I lived in an apartment complex. Vandalism and mischievous stuff happened all the time. After someone dumped a bag of sugar into my 71 Mach 1 gas tank ( they left the bag laying on the ground, the gas cap open with sugar granules everywhere --- thank you idiots - I had it towed and drained to a buddy's service station) I installed the round key style hood locks and installed a locking gas cap. It was a real 80's thing. The hood lock set up DID NOT match factory (back then who cared!).

FYI
I had to install locking gas caps on all my rigs when all the the neighbor boys got their first cars...got tired of my tanks getting drained every night. I never could catch the sneaky little turds

Back