lowering suspension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnlnvrz

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
Hi guys im really in to modern look big wheels low cars. Now im trying to go about lowering my 72 mach1 at least 3 inches. I have been doing some research and the only thing i can come up with is airbags. There really isnt many after market parts for 71-73 mustangs. Does anyone have any idea

No special ideas but I can tell you what I did:

I had the 620 lbs coils from Mustangs Unlimited that are one inch shorter than stock height and I simply cut one complete turn off. That lowers the front considerably. On the rear axle I have 1 inch lowering blocks but I think that my leaf springs are a little lower than they were supposed to be. I don´t know if mine still had the original springs in the back when I got the car but when I bought standard height rear leaf springs for a 72 convertible they brought the rear down about an inch.

This was the end result:

IMG_0849.JPG

The ride looks pretty sweet i just dont understand why i havent seen many cars like aweres customized. There is only one that i have seen so far its called 71 mustang pegasus youtube it i think you will like it. Thanks for the ideas. Oh yeah how is your front alingment after the drop?

No special ideas but I can tell you what I did:

I had the 620 lbs coils from Mustangs Unlimited that are one inch shorter than stock height and I simply cut one complete turn off. That lowers the front considerably. On the rear axle I have 1 inch lowering blocks but I think that my leaf springs are a little lower than they were supposed to be. I don´t know if mine still had the original springs in the back when I got the car but when I bought standard height rear leaf springs for a 72 convertible they brought the rear down about an inch.

This was the end result:

IMG_0849.JPG

The ride looks pretty sweet i just dont understand why i havent seen many cars like aweres customized. There is only one that i have seen so far its called 71 mustang pegasus youtube it i think you will like it. Thanks for the ideas. Oh yeah how is your front alignment after the drop?
The camber needed readjusting and that was it. No problem there.

The guy who built Pegasus is a member here by the way. Goes by the name of "vintage upgrades", if I remember correctly.

Hi guys im really in to modern look big wheels low cars. Now im trying to go about lowering my 72 mach1 at least 3 inches. I have been doing some research and the only thing i can come up with is airbags. There really isnt many after market parts for 71-73 mustangs. Does anyone have any idea
Or you could use the same system I installed in my car..fully adjustable drop for the front..

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-video-install-of-sot-coilover-conver

To duplicate what I have done... if you have average mechanical ability and / or a good friend that is.

Spring compressor about 60.00, Grinder and cutoff wheels to cut the front springs about 30.00 (for a Harbor Freight special), a set of 2" blocks will run about 35.00 from Speedway motors. That and about an afternoon with a buddy laying under the car (a 12 of PBR and a pizza 20.00)... viola all done. Well maybe about 60.00 for a front end alignment.

Then the "while I'm at its" kick in and sway bars, shocks and subframe connectors get thrown into the mix. There goes another 3-400.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back