Grabber Blue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpdj61

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang mach 1
I have a 1972 "Q" code Mach 1. The Marti report shows the original color as pewter metallic silver and also shows that the car is not really rare or incredibly optioned. I bought the car as a red car with all of the black Mach 1 striping and trim. I am going to do some rust repair and repaint the car and have no desire to return the car to its original color. I have always loved the Grabber Blue cars so was going to do the color change to that color. I rarely see the 72's in this color. Was that color an original option in 72 and do most people find it undesirable? In the end it is what I like that matters most for my car but I was just curious what the general consensus was on Grabber Blue

Thanks guys

Scott

You can paint it any color you want..Long as your happy....But i have to say...Pewter with black stripes is one of my favs..lol..But pewter and silver colors just dont last long sometimes...Silver just does not like to bond well for a long time "reason why you see so many peeled silver paints"...But grabber blue was an original color and option for 72 ..Code 3f i believe...and looks great too;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Grabber Blue was an original color from 70 to 72. It came back in 2010 and is still available.

There were 4,282 1972 Mustangs built with the "Grabber Blue" exterior. Of that number, 2,158 (including Mach 1s) were Fastbacks.

To me, our Mustangs look GREAT with the "Grabber Blue" exterior...good choice!

BT

The first Mach 1 that I ever saw (that I remember) was my much older cousin's 72 in grabber blue. From that moment at age 5 or so I was hooked on these cars. Grabber blue is an awesome color for our cars. I say go for it!

Thanks guys. I am definitely going to do what I want with this car. I was just curious about the color and the history of it on our cars. I figured it was a low production number color. I never see these cars in that color. I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can start shooting some paint. Thanks guys.

scott

It´s your car, make it the way you like it. And you mentioned that it is nothing rare or full optioned, so IMHO there is no need to keep it original.

But I must say, I wish mine had originally been pewter because I really like that color, just like the silver colors in general. Mine was "medium Brown", so no more original color for mine, ever.

I love Grabber Blue, it´s one of my favorite colors for our cars (just like the "Petty blue" on the Mopars) but keep in mind that it is a color that will not go unnoticed and might wear on you after a while. Sometimes I get sick of my yellow too. It´s too flashy.

If you keep it more low key, it will take longer for it to start start bugging you.

But I am not trying to talk you out of it, just wanna point out something that most people forget.

As I said, I love Grabber Blue!!

This being said, this is one of my favorite cars of all time. (Bringing the silver back)

silver 1971_ford_mustang_mach_1.jpg

It´s your car, make it the way you like it. And you mentioned that it is nothing rare or full optioned, so IMHO there is no need to keep it original.

But I must say, I wish mine had originally been pewter because I really like that color, just like the silver colors in general. Mine was "medium Brown", so no more original color for mine, ever.

I love Grabber Blue, it´s one of my favorite colors for our cars (just like the "Petty blue" on the Mopars) but keep in mind that it is a color that will not go unnoticed and might wear on you after a while. Sometimes I get sick of my yellow too. It´s too flashy.

If you keep it more low key, it will take longer for it to start start bugging you.

But I am not trying to talk you out of it, just wanna point out something that most people forget.

As I said, I love Grabber Blue!!

This being said, this is one of my favorite cars of all time. (Bringing the silver back)
After 41 years I have not tired of Grabber Blue yet.

After 41 years I have not tired of Grabber Blue yet.
I didn´t say it WILL happen, only warning him that it MIGHT. :)

When it was time to have mine repainted I considered many colors and always asked myself, although I really like this or that color, do I want to live with it for years to come?

Never considered Grabber Blue though, because I did not know at the time that it existed. I had never seen one in GB.

If I were to repaint it now, GB would be in my top 3 colors. (along with some kinda "Seven Up" green and a Foose style two tone paint job in silver and black:)

Any performance-optioned Mustang is a desirable car in its own right. You say yours isn't rare, but if it is a 4spd, there were only 2,262 Q code Mach's equipped that way in 1972. To me, that is rare and desirable. Don't have all the numbers handy, so I'm not sure for the Q code/auto Mach's for 72. (Your Marti obviously shows the number.)

The total number of 72 Q's are slightly more rare than the 73's - 10,429 (72) vs 12,557 (73).

Convertibles show a big difference change for the two years; 531 (72) and 968 (73). Keep in mind there were about twice as many total convertibles produced in 73 as 72...

But all Q codes, R codes, J codes and C codes are desirable cars.

If you're going for an original car - try and get it back to that configuration. If not, your options are mostly limited by two things; time and money. Not necessarily in that order! -They are all great cars!

I hope nobody got a headache after all these numbers! If so, have a beer or beverage of choice on me. Just tell 'em put it on "Ray's" tab!!!

Oh yeah - be ready to run!!! rofl

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Back