NASA Hood

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
The 73 is going in on Tuesday for some upgrades.

While it currently has the NASA hood the center is going to be painted black.

Did the center of the NASA hood come from the factory gloss black or matt black?

Are you doing the Mach I style hood with the accent line? I believe the full hood treatment should be reserved only for the 71 Boss. The single fastest Mustang in the Quarter mile ever produced by the factory. Its a personal thing.

Are you doing the Mach I style hood with the accent line? I believe the full hood treatment should be reserved only for the 71 Boss. The single fastest Mustang in the Quarter mile ever produced by the factory. Its a personal thing.
Accent line, but not full hood. Looking to do the center like on the bottom left. 71-73 Mach I.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/EM_CatalogSite/00345.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Accent line, but not full hood. Looking to do the center like on the bottom left. 71-73 Mach I.

They came matte black or argent but unless you are doing a concourse restoration, do what makes you happy. As for me I prefer gloss as in clear coated and buffed smooth with no lines to collect wax

They came matte black or argent but unless you are doing a concourse restoration, do what makes you happy. As for me I prefer gloss as in clear coated and buffed smooth with no lines to collect wax
No concourse restoration for me, but I wanted something that looked OEM and and leaning towards matt black.

My hood was matt black and I just had it repainted semi-gloss. When it was matt it sucked everything into the paint and it was hard to keep clean. Maybe it was the paint?

It should be easier to keep clean if you gloss it up bit. Just my 2 cents.

My hood was matt black and I just had it repainted semi-gloss. When it was matt it sucked everything into the paint and it was hard to keep clean. Maybe it was the paint?

It should be easier to keep clean if you gloss it up bit. Just my 2 cents.
I'll discuss it tuesday with my body shop.

Thanks

The factory flat/ matte black looks period-correct but is very, very difficult to maintain. It can't be waxed or it turns chalky if it is not in like-new condition. It was applied very thin from the factory so normal washing eventually rubs through.

On mine, I used 75% flattening agent in the black paint. Put a couple of good coats on it. Clercoated the whole car, then carefully masked off the black area and sprayed a clear coat with 50% flattening agent on top of the black. When I wetsanded the car I did NOT wetsand the black ( which would have increased the gloss effect)

There is a slight edge, but even when waxed the black looks very matte. Not quite like original, but as good as I could do and maintain some lo.g term durability and sun resistance.

+1 on the original wearing off easy, on my car the black is almost all gone. I would advise doing what makes you happy but trying to avoid any edges as much as you can. My 2012 has tape stripes on the side and they collect wax every time I clean it and its a pain to try and clean it up. Certainly wasn't something I really thought about when I got the car

While my body shop said NOT to get any wax near the black, he did apply two coats of clearcoat on it.
If clearcoat was applied to the matte-black paint then you can certainly wax it without issue. However, along with the clearcoat "shining it up", waxing it will also give it some more gloss, what you probably do not want.

Back