Need tips from welding experts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downwardspiral

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
2011 Mustang GT- Vortech v3 kit, custom tune and intake. MT ET Street slicks. Goes good
04 Mountaineer - daily
Hey guys, I am going to be welding a competition engineering sump onto a new stock style gas tank with a lincoln 140 mig welder. Are there any tricks to doing it or is it just like welding regular sheet metal?

I can't help you much! We just got a Miller Mig and I'm still watching the instructional video...LOL! My Dad can well pretty good though, so I'm safe for now!

Tig would be the best but you could probably use mig. I would test the heat on similar metal. I assume your cutting the hole in the tank slightly smaller than the sump so that you have double thickness of metal to weld to. Not edge to edge. I would tack it in several places. Middle,corners. Good tacks. If they stick up hit with grinder. I would start maybe the middle bottom tack and go to the right corner stop. then top middle tack and go to the left corner and so on. Staggered pattern to keep the heat down. MB I just looked at mine. With the ribs in the fuel tank may make it tough. A flat surface would be much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tig would be the best but you could probably use mig. I would test the heat on similar metal. I assume your cutting the hole in the tank slightly smaller than the sump so that you have double thickness of metal to weld to. Not edge to edge. I would tack it in several places. Middle,corners. Good tacks. If they stick up hit with grinder. I would start maybe the middle bottom tack and go to the right corner stop. then top middle tack and go to the left corner and so on. Staggered pattern to keep the heat down. MB I just looked at mine. With the ribs in the fuel tank may make it tough. A flat surface would be much easier.
The way I've seen it done is to drill several holes in the tank with a holesaw and trim the sump to fit the tank. http://www.hotrod.com/howto/70438_gas_tank_weld/photo_10.html

I'm thinking of just doing everything up to tacking it up, then having someone weld it on with a TIG. I'm going to call a local shop to get a price on having it done. Thanks

The way I've seen it done is to drill several holes in the tank with a holesaw and trim the sump to fit the tank. http://www.hotrod.com/howto/70438_gas_tank_weld/photo_10.html

I'm thinking of just doing everything up to tacking it up, then having someone weld it on with a TIG. I'm going to call a local shop to get a price on having it done. Thanks
That would be the best bet. Checked out some of that link. Looked like some good info. machman.

Your mig should be fine .The first rule of welding is {practice practice practice} Like machman says try your hand on similar gauged steel.When you get a good setting tack it real good and only do small welds do not try to weld it all at once.You can use a wet rag to help cool the steel quicker.And again I agree with machman to cut the hole in the tank a little smaller the extra thickness will help alot.

Is the tank galvanized? If so, you have to remove the galvanizing from the area to be welded.
Very good point there--If you dont you will have all kinds of splatter and possibly a huge headache--ask me how I know :dodgy:

One thing that I need to know from the welding expert was to know more on the operating modes and their characteristic into the part of welding. It could be great to know the classification of all operating modes, just like for the plasma welding. I think that it was a good challenge to have more scrapped welding.

If you need tips from welding experts you might be able to known the value for welding. However, just like me, that I wanted to know to the expert in what could be a good process for the TIG welder that shown the advantages into the others. That could be great to know some factor and some way to make a scrap.

One of the things I need to know the welding experts to learn more about the operating modes and features in the weld. It would be good to know the ranking of all modes of operation, and plasma welding.

There is a vendor who sells 71-73 fuel tanks with sumps already set up. It may be cheaper than buying the parts and paying someone to TIG weld it. They were around $400. I am at work and don't have the link handy. I will post when I get home if no one beats me to it. He might even be in the metro NY area IIRC.

There is a vendor who sells 71-73 fuel tanks with sumps already set up. It may be cheaper than buying the parts and paying someone to TIG weld it. They were around $400. I am at work and don't have the link handy. I will post when I get home if no one beats me to it. He might even be in the metro NY area IIRC.
Cool, thats definately a nice option and I appreciate the help; but my tank has been sumped for a couple months now :) lol. It actually worked out to be cheaper than that, my buddy trimmed and TIG'ed it along with the injector bungs on my intake manifold, charged $200 for the labor and the tank was $130 (rockauto.com).

Cool, thats definately a nice option and I appreciate the help; but my tank has been sumped for a couple months now :) lol. It actually worked out to be cheaper than that, my buddy trimmed and TIG'ed it along with the injector bungs on my intake manifold, charged $200 for the labor and the tank was $130 (rockauto.com).
Sorry, the troll got me. I didn't see the original post date. Glad you got it worked out.

Back