Need help spending money

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
Alright guys, I've budgeted $500 for my 71 coupe so i need some help figuring out what to buy next. I'm hoping some of you guys that have restored one can provide some insight.

My project is nowhere near complete - Here is where I am:

*BODY*

Car is gutted and most of my time and energy has been spent recently cleaning up the engine bay. I've smoothed out the firewall, as well as both fender aprons. The body still needs to be stripped/sanded, but not too much rust to speak of. I don't think I'll need any more body panels. I've also installed new floor pans on the passenger and driver side.

*MOTOR*

The engine is exactly the same as when I pulled it. It's a 302 that was apparently reworked and only has 30k miles. I haven't touched it after I pulled it, so i'm not sure.

*SUSPENSION*

The front suspension I have just replaced with factory replacement parts for the most part - other than 1" lower springs and a DIY adjustable strut rod. The rear suspension and axle has not been touched.

So as you can see, I have A LOT of stuff a can spend the money on but I don't want to buy something just have it sit in my garage for 6 months until I'm ready for it. I want to buy something that makes sense for where I a in my project now.

A few ideas I had:

Paint supplies - The paint, 2k primer, sealer, reducers, masking, etc.

Pro: I would have this purchase out of the way when I get around to painting

Con: I won't be ready for paint for months, so I'd just be sitting on this stuff and I would have to worry about storing it properly so it wouldn't ruin.

Front disk conversion - I believe there are some disk conversions out there for around $500

Pro: I'm doing this at some point, and I've already gone through the suspension, so it seems logical.

Cons: I will have a turd car with a nice shiny braking package. And it would just be one more thing i would have to mask around.

Engine Rebuild kit - If the engine is in good shape (like i was promised), i shouldn't need any machine work, so I should be able to buy a kit - including pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets for around $500, right?

Pro: I got to have a engine!

Con: I will have nice shiny rebuild engine in the corner of my shop for months (most likely years) before it's ever ready to be installed. It can't be good for a fresh motor to sit without running that long.

Rear suspension setup?

Pro: Need it.

Con: Haven't decided what type of suspension to go with. I want to stick some big meats under the rearend so I'm not sure i'll be keeping the factory leaf springs. I may opt for a 4 link setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you want to install whatever you end up purchasing immediately. I can understand that, but it can be difficult in as deep of a project as our cars often are. I wouldn't worry about buying paint until you are ready to paint, and I wouldn't buy an engine rebuild kit until you know whether or not it needs it. Especially if it really was rebuilt 30k ago. No sense in spending money rebuilding a brand new engine.

Personally out of the options you listed I'd hit the rear suspension first. But if it were me, I'd get to work on the body and paint prep and set the $500 aside until I'm ready to paint. I'd be checking the engine over during the process. Then if it turns out you do need a rebuild you still have to money to put towards that instead.

My opinion. Take it with a good amount of salt.

It sounds like you want to install whatever you end up purchasing immediately. I can understand that, but it can be difficult in as deep of a project as our cars often are. I wouldn't worry about buying paint until you are ready to paint, and I wouldn't buy an engine rebuild kit until you know whether or not it needs it. Especially if it really was rebuilt 30k ago. No sense in spending money rebuilding a brand new engine.

Personally out of the options you listed I'd hit the rear suspension first. But if it were me, I'd get to work on the body and paint prep and set the $500 aside until I'm ready to paint. I'd be checking the engine over during the process. Then if it turns out you do need a rebuild you still have to money to put towards that instead.

My opinion. Take it with a good amount of salt.
Another problem I forgot to mention, I have a wife and two kids! It took an act of congress to get this money set aside. If I don't spend it soon not telling where it will end up!!!!:s

The motor i know has been sitting for 10 years. Maybe longer. I guess my thought is it would need a freshing up - Do you not think I would need to rebuild?

Rear suspension does make sense just for the fact if I do any fab work, i'd run the rise of damaging the paint or body work. Didn't think about that.

I think you answered your own question. Obviously the rear needs attention. New leafs, shocks and possibly a new ring and pinion to help out that 302 you got sitting in the corner. Just my .02, when the ole lady gives the ok to spend just do it because she may take it right back haha.

I think you answered your own question. Obviously the rear needs attention. New leafs, shocks and possibly a new ring and pinion to help out that 302 you got sitting in the corner. Just my .02, when the ole lady gives the ok to spend just do it because she may take it right back haha.
Oh yeah, i know her game (this means she gets the equal amount for purses or clothes or something stupid) but i'll play along as long as i get to put some into the mustang.

I hear you - Rearend is probably smart. I guess my dilemma is my project would 'feel' much more done with a fresh coat of paint. It's been a 3 year project so far, and I still feel like I have 99% to go.

Oh yeah, i know her game (this means she gets the equal amount for purses or clothes or something stupid) but i'll play along as long as i get to put some into the mustang.

I hear you - Rearend is probably smart. I guess my dilemma is my project would 'feel' much more done with a fresh coat of paint. It's been a 3 year project so far, and I still feel like I have 99% to go.
I know how you feel, how i felt everytime I look at mine. But i just keep saying to myself. Mechanical funtion first before beauty. Kinda like a Enzo ferrari sitting on blocks, doesn't do much good ahah

I would worry about that motor first...If it was me....I would have it back in the car...So you can compression check it if you dont have a good runing motor stand...You could easy dump alot into the motor if there are more issues than you know...I would start with the power plant.....I would clean that engine bay....paint it up how you want it...You could end up blowing money on things like carb and such...and you could end up saving alot of money and the motor does not need anything...But best not to guess...and just check it out first..Then you can take your money and blow it some where else on the car with out too much worry.

I would gather parts, fab em up, and get the car in epoxy
I've doing some research and I think I can get everything I need for the four link an d get the summit racing epoxy for the rest of the car.

Got a question though. I would like to do disks in the back so swapping to a late model 8.8 from a exporer may be the answer. But what is the correct make/model/year? The local pick-in-pull has several exporer s in stock.

Back