Exhaust

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351 CJ all matching numbers, under restoration.
73 Ford Mustang Sprint from Mexico.
Hello,

A question about the exaust. The left header is back from the welder, it will be sandblasted and paint, then ready to go.

So my question is that I would like to replace the H Pipe by this flex tube but I don't know if it recommanded or not, due to the flexibility it will give I guess beteween the 2 exausts.

Any advice, I take with pleassure.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought the H pipe went after the collectors? never saw headers with a crossover installed.
+1. Never seen anything like it, and I'm not sure it should be done.
+1. I thought the H pipe connector was always just after the transmission so you don't overheat it.

When I bought the car was light this already, thanks for your comments, I will think about.

Hello manu64,

Wow, I wonder what it does to the back pressure? I would cut off and seal up the pipes on the collector and move the cross over just pass the bend where that are close together.

X-pipe and H-pipes synchronize the balance of the exhaust pulses from each bank of cylinders based on firing order which increases velocity and scavenging from each cylinder.

I found this information and I will use it next time.

I just got a 2 1/2" dual setup on my truck. i picked it up late after work, and when i looked under the next morning, there was no balance pipe. i called the shop, and the owner said he forgot to tell me. the white paint deal is tried and true, and he said there will be a burn on each pipe after a few days of haulin' ass, and this spot is the sweet spot for pressure. then you put in the pipe. he said any other spot is a waste of time, since the pressure and heat which you are trying to address is focused there, and no one can guess where that is.

Learn something new all the time.

mustang7173

it is an easy fix, do it right or you will damage something or at best have some driveability issues. exhausts are designed to scavenge and do so by takin advantage of the gas flow that increases as it goes through a constriction, in this case the collectors. with the cross over you break down this airflow and the air "puddles" and requires more energy to push it out and your exhaust will get very hot

Installing one header at a time is a pain, but both.....how the cuss is that supposed to work? seriously you should cut that out and patch the collectors. You could certainly use the flex joint down stream as a crossover, but that's not really what its meant for. I use them just behind the collector to remove engine torquing from the rest of the exhaust system. If you do remove that please cut it up into small pieces and scatter them far and wide. :p

Just ribbing you a little there all in good fun.

I'm a firm believer in the gains made by a crossover pipe but man our car sounds real good with independant duals made up of headman longtubes, Mac flowpath mufflers and turndowns pointed slightly outward. Back to the topic at hand that is an unusual crossover pipe but if it works then why not I guess.

Ok ok so I need to cut off the H Pipe and move it backwards on the system.

Hope won't be a problem with the drive shaft. Well i will find the solution.

Yes everyday we learn, hopefully,

Thanks all.

Thanks all.

Here a picture where I should join the 2 tubes, and look close to the drive shaft.

DSCN9297.JPG

Thanks all.

Thanks all.
Here a picture where I should join the 2 tubes, and look close to the drive shaft.
Looks like they really tucked the pipes up high. Ideally the crossover pipe should clear the drive shaft with the rear suspension unloaded. Try to keep near the yoke if possible. The advantage of using the flex joint in you case is you could put some bow in the crossover to gain clearance.

I was being polite on my first post. Hey manu64 pull that sh1t off your pipes immediately. it will not work. it will make your car run badly. every discussion i have studied of exhaust scavenging details the original Ford research of using the H pipe rather than the X pipe as a better crossover design for cyl exhaust balance and canceling pulses in order to promote faster pipe velocities. The tighter piper will promote more low rpm torque for the 2v's. the bigger pipes will allow the 4v's to get to the higher rpm ranges faster where they perform better (in their gm crushing manner) but the factory always had the crossovers in the intermediate pipes.

I will cut off tand patch the H on the headers and put it just after the curve of the 2 tubes. Thera are finally enough space between the drive shaft and the H;

I really don't know who where and when this modification has been made, but for sure was not by professionnals.

I would like to thnaks everybody here where you help me to rebuild this Mustang.

As I said to Mark73 alreday, this 7173 site is wonderfull, specially for a guy like me who is almost alone physically to work on that car. I want to make it reliable as possible.

Thanks all.

So the headers are to the welder to cut off the H pipe and patch them.

Is that ok if I put the H pipe like that? Or too close to the mufflers?

H pipe modif.JPG

Exaust.JPG

Back