Big Ford 11 inch Brake Kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
Hello To All,

I am researching the Master Power Big Ford 11 inch Rear Brake Drum Kit. They are nice and are priced at $520.00 for the kit. Has anybody purchased and installed? Also, Ford Motorsport makes a similar kit for about $265.00. This does not include the drums.

The have the big finned drums and are cryogenically treated to increase durability and superior heat dissipation.

mustang7173 :D

All,

So, I drove to Mooresville, NC and picked up the Master Power 11 inch Brake drum kit for my 9 inch rebuild. Yes, I can hear all of your questions. Why did you not go with Disc Brakes? Well, the cost! Yes, there are other alternatives like Crown Vic police cars and etc. I wanted a solution that was simple and easy to install. The first, I am on a Budget! It is a direct bolt on, bleed the brake cylinders, connect EB cable, and you are ready to go. These thing are huge and heavy.

I will post more pictures as install and process the 9 inch rebuild.

Thank You

mustang7173 :cool:

wssbb4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

So, I drove to Mooresville, NC and picked up the Master Power 11 inch Brake drum kit for my 9 inch rebuild. Yes, I can hear all of your questions. Why did you not go with Disc Brakes? Well, the cost! Yes, there are other alternatives like Crown Vic police cars and etc. I wanted a solution that was simple and easy to install. The first, I am on a Budget! It is a direct bolt on, bleed the brake cylinders, connect EB cable, and you are ready to go. These thing are huge and heavy.

Thank You

wssbb4.jpg
It will be interesting to see how you feel the braking improves. I give you credit for taking the path less traveled.

All,

look like stock brakes...

Thank You

wssbb4.jpg

To all who want the rear disc brakes, Master Power has this new kit! NEW!!! FORD 4-PISTON REAR BIG BRAKE KIT, SMALL BEARING FORD BEARING END

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=1116

Just a small of bit of change for $1195.00. Does not include the Master Cylinder and Disc/Disc portioning valve!

Yes, I agree with the rear disc brakes per Olie's comments. I would have loved to do the rear discs. But, Like I said early, Budget dictates and I need a few more parts to complete the mustang. I have asked for an increase in my budget, but darn it, I keep getting turned down!

I will post pictures and report back on how they work.

mustang7173:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
To all who want the rear disc brakes, Master Power has this new kit! NEW!!! FORD 4-PISTON REAR BIG BRAKE KIT, SMALL BEARING FORD BEARING END

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=1116

Just a small of bit of change for $1195.00. Does not include the Master Cylinder and Disc/Disc portioning valve!

Yes, I agree with the rear disc brakes per Olie's comments. I would have loved to do the rear discs. But, Like I said early, Budget dictates and I need a few more parts to complete the mustang. I have asked for an increase in my budget, but darn it, I keep getting turned down!

I will post pictures and report back on how they work.

mustang7173:cool:
Your asking the wrong way then...try asking another way, maybe without words:banana:

Hello To All,

Here are some pictures of the assembly of my 9 inch with the Master Power's huge 11 inch brake drum kit. Man, these things heavy!

dfvpt1.jpg

jpwmyp.jpg

2vsg7mb.jpg

Thank You,

mustang7173

looks like a good upgrade, and they look good.

but a disc setup doesnt have to cost that much.. you are in the USA, lots of donor cars/parts around you. just get the calipers/disc from the scrapyard and order some adapter brackets and you're good to go..

for the 1200 that the rear setup costs, i think you can do the front as well , then you would have a 13"front 11.65" rear disc setup. all from a 1994-2004 Cobra..

i went that route and i love it.. but i made my own brackets ( a buddy of mine did the lasercutting of the brackets) , i had to make the fronts because at that time nobody was making anything for the 71-73 bodied mustang

but then again, this is much easier.. :D

All,

Thank You

wssbb4.jpg
Hi,

I am installing these 11" brakes, too, but not driven the car yet.

How are hey behaving when breaking.?Is there any fear that they are too efficient when having the original discs at the front ?

Do they need any braking pressure regulator ?

Hello Higgins56,

I have not driven the mustang yet. Still in the process of finalizing underneath replaced floor pans.

How are they behaving when breaking? Not used yet-Hopefully soon

Is there any fear that they are too efficient when having the original discs at the front ? Nope-

Do they need any braking pressure regulator ? No- As long as you have the original power disc brake proportioning valve, you are good to go.

That is one advantage of this kit. It is a direct bolt on. I plan on replacing the Master Cylinder with a NEW one since the mustang has been sitting for a period of time.

I do agree with the forum members , that rear disc brake kit would have been the way to go, but my budget did not allow for me to add due to the cost.

mustang7173

Hello Higgins56,

I have not driven the mustang yet. Still in the process of finalizing underneath replaced floor pans.

How are they behaving when breaking? Not used yet-Hopefully soon

Is there any fear that they are too efficient when having the original discs at the front ? Nope-

Do they need any braking pressure regulator ? No- As long as you have the original power disc brake proportioning valve, you are good to go.

That is one advantage of this kit. It is a direct bolt on. I plan on replacing the Master Cylinder with a NEW one since the mustang has been sitting for a period of time.

I do agree with the forum members , that rear disc brake kit would have been the way to go, but my budget did not allow for me to add due to the cost.

mustang7173
Thanks for your comment.

I just had the possibility to make a short test drive and the big rear drums work fine. Not at all too aggressive. I like it !

Good luck with your project !

Hello JamesS,

For God’s sake, these things are huge! You might need to add an air bag to your steering wheel!! I watched the You Tube Video of the install and wow, what a kit. The rotors are some of the largest I have seen in a kit. I like the fact that they used a Ford caliper. Also, the ease of removing the pads without having to remove the whole caliper is a nice feature.

Amazing!

Mustang7173 :D

Latest posts

Back