Speedo gear for 72 mach1 c4

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnlnvrz

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
20130328_145037.jpgI have a 72 mustang took the stripped speedo gear out. I bought one from so cal and it looks different and its a bit shorter then mine. Wich one of the two is the correct one?

I have the motor and trans out of my car now and can get a pic for ya later tonight, probably not til late!!! I have a c4 in mine too so i will let you know what i have in mine.

Hello mnlnvrz,

I do not think the tip length is going to hurt anything, but I do now that the colors matter. The color is the color code for the number of teeth of the gear. They white gear looks like it has a few less teeth than the brown one.

mustang7173

The speedo gear is dependent upon your real axle ratio. My stock 2.75 gear is different than the 3.50 speedo gear that a member kindly sent me with the pumpkin I bought from him, but crap now I can't find it. What gear ratio are you running? And as stated, it is defined by the color.

I just got to take a look at mine and it's the same as your original. Orange colored and has long tip. Hope this helps. I would find one that's the same. No pic right now. I can post one tommorrow if it helps.

The "color" can matter but it is my understanding that a lot of the reproduction ones are actually molded in "white."

The important thing to know is the "number of teeth" on the gear as that is what determines whether or not it is correct ...to a great degree.

The other issue is whether the gear is "right" or "left" driven which I understand are separated (in part) by the length of the "stem" on the gear. Automatics have the gear attached to the right (Passenger Side) of the transmission while the Manuals have the hole on the left (Driver Side) of the transmission. This, as you might imagine determines whether the rotation is either left or right.

Your C4 transmission requires the "right" rotation which is distinguished by the longer stem speedometer gear. It would appear that you were sent the gear (the shorter shaft) for a manual transmission.

BT

That is the correct gear

I stock the ones made by Danial Carpenter

All are white, all are short stub

they are L & R rotation as BT described

They only thing I have found with the short stub

Cable fits into the stub - you may need to trim the

cable - usually they are fine.

If the gear fits on your cable and locks in - length is fine

Make sure it is connected and pushed into the speedo head first.

Originals were color coded for the line workers

Don

I have a 72 mustang took the stripped speedo gear out. I bought one from so cal and it looks different and its a bit shorter then mine. Wich one of the two is the correct one?
Heres the pic of mine I promised sorry it took so long.

343pu9s.jpg

Thanks alot i apreciate you taking the time to take a picture and helping me out.

I have a 72 mustang took the stripped speedo gear out. I bought one from so cal and it looks different and its a bit shorter then mine. Wich one of the two is the correct one?

Heres the pic of mine I promised sorry it took so long.

343pu9s.jpg

Back