73 460 lincoln mounted in a 71 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach 1 marc

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 lincoln 460,72 Grande 351 cleveland
Any one know how close the oil pan should sit to the lower frame rail when installing a 460 1973 Lincoln in a 1971 mach 1 also we installed stock 4 leaf springs and with stock spring clips and bushings and it seems that the drive shaft is 3/4 of an inch 2 lon we bought the car with the motor already installed and are restoring it we started with new leafs and the previous spring holders were longer than stock.DSC_5028.JPG. Any Thoughts ..... Good to know you.... Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several 460 cars on here and if I'm not mistaken you just purchase 429 mounts and it should fit just fine, but someone will be along shortly with exact info

There are several 460 cars on here and if I'm not mistaken you just purchase 429 mounts and it should fit just fine, but someone will be along shortly with exact info

This is my first time on here i just joined.the car had a 73 460 when i bought it but it seems as though the motor is to close to the frame 1/4 inch and the exhaust is still stock and it seems as though header install will be tight. Thanks for the quick reply great to hear from ya.. Marc

I used 71 Lincoln 460 in mine, I have a canton oil pan. If you need pics or measurements I could get some if it helps

This is my first time on here i just joined.the car had a 73 460 when i bought it but it seems as though the motor is to close to the frame 1/4 inch and the exhaust is still stock and it seems as though header install will be tight. Thanks for the quick reply great to hear from ya.. Marc

Yeah, headers are a pain on a 460 haha. I had lots of problems from my hooker headers and ended up with Ford Powertrain Applications which fit alot better.

I believe what you have is big ford (LTD, Torino,etc) motor mounts utilizing the OEM 351C perches. This method does work but is very difficult with header / exhaust clearance. The correct method which all the header companies base their fit on are stock 1971 Mustang 429 perches, isolators & block plates. The factory items are hard to find and very costly. Reproductions are available from Crites Performance & Peroigie Enterprises in kit form.

Thanks, Jay

Any one know how close the oil pan should sit to the lower frame rail when installing a 460 1973 Lincoln in a 1971 mach 1 also we installed stock 4 leaf springs and with stock spring clips and bushings and it seems that the drive shaft is 3/4 of an inch 2 lon we bought the car with the motor already installed and are restoring it we started with new leafs and the previous spring holders were longer than stock.. Any Thoughts ..... Good to know you.... Marc
Hey Marc,Clevelandcoupe gave you the same names I would have,I have crites mounts in mine.I can't recommend the crites headers,I have those as well,they hang terribly low.If you are looking for some another member xoliex had some decent used ones for sale from his car.Also if the front coils are original from a smaller engine,you may want the 429 springs up front. :)

Thank you . Very helpful advice. Great to know you all.to kermit i ordered springs from npd they sent springs that on there site say 351 app.not the 429 app i called they said they will work? To all: Is there any way to tell if the mounts that are in now are wrong i.e.pan distance to frame.Exhaust clearance.? We put new leaf springs from npr with stock spring shackles and the drive shaft now seems to be to long the old springs were shot and the shackles he had on it were different made out of iron with holes drilled for bolts would you say we should take the drive to drive train shop and have it shortened ?or maybe there is some other reason. thanks for all the feedback too all. Marc

I believe what you have is big ford (LTD, Torino,etc) motor mounts utilizing the OEM 351C perches. This method does work but is very difficult with header / exhaust clearance. The correct method which all the header companies base their fit on are stock 1971 Mustang 429 perches, isolators & block plates. The factory items are hard to find and very costly. Reproductions are available from Crites Performance & Peroigie Enterprises in kit form.

Thanks, Jay

Thank You for your help. Marc

I used 71 Lincoln 460 in mine, I have a canton oil pan. If you need pics or measurements I could get some if it helps

Yeah, headers are a pain on a 460 haha. I had lots of problems from my hooker headers and ended up with Ford Powertrain Applications which fit alot better.

If pics are not to much of a pain that would be cool.is there more than 1/4 inch clearance from oil pan to frame cross member ? Mine still has stock exhaust. Thanks marc p.s. 71 460 has more hp than 73 compression any ideas on giving the 73 more hp.

I went with the 429 springs for a little stronger rate(my car started as 351C) ,but still staying 4 leaf because of the rough roads in my area.I have not installed them yet to see if my chioce is right.As far as perking up the 460,if you don't want to get too involved ,headers,intake,carb,mild cam.I understand the ones built in the smog era were retarded 8 degrees which lowered hp,depending what you have a timing chain kit may be of help.This was what was done to mine before I bought it.Wish I could help with pics,but still healing from hip surgury right now.

CAM00228.jpg

I went with the 429 springs for a little stronger rate(my car started as 351C) ,but still staying 4 leaf because of the rough roads in my area.I have not installed them yet to see if my chioce is right.As far as perking up the 460,if you don't want to get too involved ,headers,intake,carb,mild cam.I understand the ones built in the smog era were retarded 8 degrees which lowered hp,depending what you have a timing chain kit may be of help.This was what was done to mine before I bought it.Wish I could help with pics,but still healing from hip surgury right now.
Kermit,

Thanks alot. Very helpful.Rest up,Hope you feel better soon,Great to know ya.Sincerely Your new friend in florida. Marc

Looks pretty tough from the back with those beefy back tires.Why is that guy peeing on your front tire? Ha Ha. :p

Cool another 460 stang guy oh and just fyi your spoiler is backwards and a bit far up the trunk lid

Love the flat black lol looks familiar
My 73 Mach is a satin black which has a little sheen to it and doesn't have the grey tinge to it that flat black has.

Mach 1 at Big M.jpg

Lot's of Mad Max attitude on mach 1 marc's stang!! I really like it. Mustangsunlimited has also a mounts & pads for the 429/460 to 71-73 Mustang. I would have used them from Mustangsunlimited but I got lucky and got dirt cheap original 429 mounts which are now in use. I was goind to show you a direct link to the mustangsunlimited motor mounts but, since living in the other side of the pond I've got different time zone like with 7-8 hours, so I get this message very often from mustangsunlimited webpages... "...is currently undergoing routine maintenance. Please keep checking back, as we'll be up and running again shortly! " Those guys are surely maintaining their web-pages!!!

So you will need to find out by yourself the correct parts, should find with "429 mounts" written to search area.

Cool another 460 stang guy oh and just fyi your spoiler is backwards and a bit far up the trunk lid

Love the flat black lol looks familiar

thanks. nice pic of your car
My 73 Mach is a satin black which has a little sheen to it and doesn't have the grey tinge to it that flat black has.

Lot's of Mad Max attitude on mach 1 marc's stang!! I really like it. Mustangsunlimited has also a mounts & pads for the 429/460 to 71-73 Mustang. I would have used them from Mustangsunlimited but I got lucky and got dirt cheap original 429 mounts which are now in use. I was goind to show you a direct link to the mustangsunlimited motor mounts but, since living in the other side of the pond I've got different time zone like with 7-8 hours, so I get this message very often from mustangsunlimited webpages... "...is currently undergoing routine maintenance. Please keep checking back, as we'll be up and running again shortly! " Those guys are surely maintaining their web-pages!!!

So you will need to find out by yourself the correct parts, should find with "429 mounts" written to search area.
Thanks

Looks pretty tough from the back with those beefy back tires.Why is that guy peeing on your front tire? Ha Ha. :p
thats my son chris hes just walking by the car, yeah it kinda looks like hes peeing ha ha the yellow car is his 71 grande .those are micky thompson 28/50/15 on the back

Back