Trunk Lid Gapping Problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhazbun

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach I
I'm currently trying to gap the trunk lid on my 73 Mustang Convertible. Apparently, at one point in the cars life, it had been hit on the drivers side quarter panel. As a result, it seems the quarter panel has shifted, and the trunk lid won't gap correctly. If we align the passenger side and front side of the lid with the car, then the drivers side seems to have a horrible growing gap, seen in the pictures attached.

Has anyone on the forums had to deal with something like this ? Suggestions?

February 13, 2013 032.jpg

February 13, 2013 036.jpg

I'm adding one additional picture. We've stripped the top of the quarter panel, and the buckle is clearly visible. Looks like it was pushed forward and out.

April 1, 2013 015.jpg

Thanks,

RH

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like it is not squared up yet. looks like it needs shifted clockwise a bit more which will help. what are the measurements of the gaps on the front, and back on both sides?

Your going to need some one on the board here to take measurements (width at numerous points) from an undamaged car..Once you have those you can see where your at..Theres a few ways to make the pull to bring it back to spec...But the best way would be on a frame machine with the unibody clamped down on the pinch welds /rocker panel..You want to start at the area OF LEAST DAMAGE & work your way up to the area of most damage..They do make a clamp /hook that grabs the rain gutter weatherstrip channel from behind the panel that can be used for the pull

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/mo-clamp-panel-puller-1250-p-10110.aspx I would back it up with a piece of wood along the back edge to distribute the pull & not dent the inner edge

If you can't access a frame machine you can use the clamp with a come-a-long tied off to a tree..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't access a frame machine you can use the clamp with a come-a-long tied off to a tree..
LOL... I've tried tieing the car to a tree and a concrete lamp post base and then putting it in gear and pulling... both worked, both not exactly precision, but really, you can have quite nice results doing autobody without absolute precision.

Do your self a favor...Take it to a shop that has a frame machine..It's going to need a double pull at the same time..in other words 2 posts set up for 2 pulls both at the same time..One pulling the qtr back & one pulling the qtr in..

Do your self a favor...Take it to a shop that has a frame machine..It's going to need a double pull at the same time..in other words 2 posts set up for 2 pulls both at the same time..One pulling the qtr back & one pulling the qtr in..
Thanks for the info. The car is at a shop. Unfortunately, we've stripped all the suspension off the car and put it on a dolly so that we could get the car fully paint stripped. As I understand it, we're having trouble around getting the body/chassis on the frame machine.

--RH

+1 the last pic tells it all

Back