Wilwood rear Disk Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfairmont

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1
Hi All, just finished upgrading rear drums to the wilwood 12" Dynalite kit with internal parking brake. was a very simple install. The only two issues I ran into were having to drill out the lug holes to fit the rotor and the id of the rotor centering rings did not fit my a 31 spline axles. After talking with Wilwood, they said the rings were not necessary if the rotor was securely centered on the studs which was the case.

I also ordered the universal parking brake kit and was able to instalusing the factory brackets and pull. I just shortened the cable cover to the mounting bracket and secured the bare cable ends together using the block provided. Works like a charm.

I decided not to use the flex lines and just ran the factory hard lines right to the caliper. I will likely never drive this thing enough to wear out a set of rear pads

Finally, I used a master cylinder from a 93 explorer, $40 brand new. It's got a 1" bore and pedal feels good. Only needed to get a couple adapter fittings for the hard line as they are 10 and 12 mm off the MC. Scrapped the proportioning valve and installed the adjustable valve in the rear line.

Still have factory disks in front for now. Will likely upgrade those soon. Need to get out on a road test still. New motor is in the car and waiting on the pulley setup.

2013-04-01_20-53-24_795_zpsbc3bf863.jpg

2013-04-01_21-43-02_935_zps29ff0536.jpg

2013-04-01_21-41-37_679_zps34e2fff8.jpg

2013-04-01_21-53-15_640_zpsfc0b12e1.jpg

2013-04-01_21-57-14_23_zps553ddfb9.jpg
2013-04-01_20-52-34_220_zps52fe80e0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The master from a '95-01 explorer would likely work better, as they had factory rear disk brakes w/o a prop valve. the 91-94 had rear drums.
My research tells me the MC bore size is exactly the same on those 2wd vehicles pre and post '95 - 0.938". The 4wd models had a slightly larger bore of 0.975". I originally thought they were 1". Is there something else I didn't consider? The pedal feels good. Will know more when I get out on the road.

That is my number one upgrade wish. But i have to get the 17" wheels first...and the tires....and then cough up the $2k for the full set up. really nice job bud.

Nice! You will probably cuss yourself if you do have to change those pads though. :p Are you happy with that block for coupling the cables? I plan on switching to a parking brake from a fox body Mustang and was looking for something like that.

Have done all the same as you except:

Did use the flexible parking brake lines, as my factory ones were already gone

Did not have to drill the rotor holes, everything lined up tight on one of the two patterns in my rotor

Am using the master that was on my car already, but it is not a 73 Mustang stock one, I have no idea where it came from, was on my car when I bought it

Have not yet installed adjustable prop valve, defnitely need it, rear brakes lock up first!

Greg

Nice! You will probably cuss yourself if you do have to change those pads though. :p Are you happy with that block for coupling the cables? I plan on switching to a parking brake from a fox body Mustang and was looking for something like that.
I hear you, with the wilwood calipers, the pads come up and out without having to remove the caliper. Only held in place with a single cotter pin. Would likely still have to remove to compress the pistons though. That block does the job but I'm going to come up with something better. Was thinking about replacing it with a sleeve using several set-screws to better hold/align the cables together.

My axles are 31 spline with (i beleive) 1/2" studs. They were on the car when I got it but I think they are from Superior. The rotors would otherwise be fine without drilling except the shoulder of the stud comes through the axle flange a bit and didn't allow the rotor to sit flat like it should.

Thank you for posting this (especially the pictures and the alternative MC you used). This is an install that I plan on doing myself in the future. If you don't mind, can you post up the part number of the Wilwood kit you used and where you bought it from? Much thanks! :D

Rich

Thank you for posting this (especially the pictures and the alternative MC you used). This is an install that I plan on doing myself in the future. If you don't mind, can you post up the part number of the Wilwood kit you used and where you bought it from? Much thanks! :D

Rich
The brake kit was 140-9282 for small bearing ford with 2.5" offset and parking brake was 330-9371. I just ordered it through a local Mustang supplier. They had another shipment comming in so I was able to save a little on shipping otherwise no great bargian.

Yes I've been driving it every chance I can get. Since then I also did the fronts as well with 12" diameter rotors and 6 piston calipers. The car stops quick and the pedal feels good and solid. I'm not sure about the vacuum as I have never put a gauge on it. It's a good sized comp cam (292HR) so I'm sure I'd benefit from a vacuum canister.

The front install was not bad at all. The most difficult/time consuming part was enlarging and tapping the three bolts for the caliper mounting bracket. I had disk spindles. Very happy with how it all turned out.

Do you have any pictures of the install on the front end and the part number of what you used? Brakes are number 1 on my upgrade list once my car is road worthy again. Very clean looking car and I dig the wheels!

Do you have any pictures of the install on the front end and the part number of what you used? Brakes are number 1 on my upgrade list once my car is road worthy again. Very clean looking car and I dig the wheels!

No Sorry, I didn't snap any pictures of the front installation. Was not too much to it. I used kit number 140-12945. I had disk spindles and had to drill out and re-tap the three bolt holes that attached the dust cover. That is how the caliper bracket mounts to the spindle with the Wilwood kit. If you have drum spindles, the brackets simply use a different set of pre drilled holes. Other than a little massaging of the bracket to line up with the bolts, it all went together nicely.

They perform good and look good. Well worth the effort now that it's all done.

Back