NASA HOOD SPRINGS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 460 crites headers,summit cam ,edelbrock dual plane hi-rise intake,edelbrock 780 carb,C-6 trans,Pertronix flamethrower 2 billet distributor & coil
Wondering if anyone has found a reproduction of those out there anywhere?

71-73 Cougar are the same if that helps you find some.

No, they are not reproduced.
I did'nt think so Mark, I guess I was just thinking with all the hoods being sold,someone would jump on the spring bandwagon sooner or later .

I wonder if early-'70s T-Bird, Torino, or LTD springs would work - they've got some awful big hoods on those cars.

The front coil springs from a Pinto should work fine with just a little custom fabrication :D
Maybe double them up,does 2 pinto's = 1 mustang? :p

Kermit,

1971/ F-except with hood scoop ** Coil Type-6-1/4" overall length > D1ZZ-16789-A

1971/ F-with hood scoop ******* Coil Type-6-1/4" overall length > D1ZZ-16789-B

Torino 70/71 - Coil type>6-59/64" over length >D0OZ-16789-B <

I believe the Big Ford hood springs might be a bit too long.

mustang7173

My hood with the ram air is running on the wrong springs and it never gives me a problem. I am a bit more careful when closing it and I will block it open if working outside under it just to keep from splitting my head open, but it has never fallen on me. I know they aren't correct, but they do work okay.

perhaps a dodge hood spring might work?

I'm pretty sure mine was an oddball mach with the stock hood,my marti doe'snt list a ram air hood.It got a brand new ram air hood before it was painted(non functioning)& new (stock hood style springs).It stays up pretty good,but on windy or high humidity days it can come down sometimes. :s Just annoying when it happens.

I think you could use these http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-hood-spring-1955.html and they are inexpensive.

The minor length difference should be okay-as I was looking I saw that the SS Camaro's used 2 different springs and the heavier one was 5/8 of an inch longer than the lighter duty, but that the same hinges were used with both.

I think you could use these http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-hood-spring-1955.html and they are inexpensive.

The minor length difference should be okay-as I was looking I saw that the SS Camaro's used 2 different springs and the heavier one was 5/8 of an inch longer than the lighter duty, but that the same hinges were used with both.
I figured there must be something out there that would work.Used ones are hard to find & everyone wants an arm + leg for them if you are lucky enough to find

You can get some very nice billet hinges with adjustble springs from eddiemotorsport.com. He guy has a 71 and fits all the custom 71-73 pieces on his own car to make sure they fit. Very impressive bling if you want it.

I figured there must be something out there that would work.Used ones are hard to find & everyone wants an arm + leg for them if you are lucky enough to find
I have a single ramair spring around here somewhere... that I would trade for a brick of .22 CCI-SV or Federal 510 ammo...

(Don't know which would be tougher or lucky to find, the ammo or a ramair spring...)

:s

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a single ramair spring around here somewhere... that I would trade for a brick of .22 CCI-SV or Federal 510 ammo...

(Don't know which would be tougher or lucky to find, the ammo or a ramair spring...)

That's a tempting trade,but I think it's cheaper for me to keep my ammo & buy a box of bandaids when the hood falls on my head. :dodgy:

That's a tempting trade,but I think it's cheaper for me to keep my ammo & buy a box of bandaids when the hood falls on my head. :dodgy:
hehe... I like the way you think!

Back