Spring Ford Swap, Columbus OH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I didn't even know it was happening... I may go tomorrow morning, but I have to be at my daughter's lacrosse game by 12:15. So if I get there at 9:00, I'd have maybe 2 hours to look around.

I went. I have been going to this show for over 20 years. When I lived in Pittsburgh we would make the three hour drive in for it. Now I live here, and work less than a couple miles form the show. I left work at 3:55 and made it to the ticket line by 4:00:)

Swap meets are not what they once were. E-bay and Craigslist have sort of made them obsolete. That is good and bad, and I am sure it has been discussed here.

As great as the web can be for making hard to find parts findable at all times of the year in all locations, I miss the treasure hunting aspect of the old days of swapping. I still recall some smoking hot pre-internet deals I found, and they are great memories.

I came home with:

~2 pieces of peanut butter fudge in my stomach from a woman who has been selling it alongside her husbands parts for years.

~1 free Boss 302 poster for my five year old sons room from Ford Racing.

~1 pair of square spring hood hinges I did not need but they were nice and I got them at a decent price. I have a few sets now, which I plan to blast and then phosphate. Hopefully I can sell the spares for enough to offset the costs of buying enough phosphate solution to submerge my original set.

I saw but did not buy:

~Nice looking but not perfect set of 15" trim rings for $650

~Set of closed chamber 351 C heads, 1970 build for $100. Thought hard on this, one of the valve seats had some bad damage, and I was just not comfortable with it. Good deal for someone.

~Clutch brake pedal assembly for $225.

~65,000 mile tach speedo cluster for $200, maybe less.

~71-72 urethane front bumper for $80. In primer, with a rust ripple on each end from the metal frame rusting and expanding. I have seen much worse, but it was clearly evident.

Definitely noticed less "hobbyists" selling and more regular circuit guys. I am guessing that with parts research being so easy with an I-pad now that any really good deals by a hobbyist are being bought up by the circuit guys and marked up for sale before the doors open. Vendors get in the doors at least two hours before the general public. Plenty of time to go scavenge before showtime.

Still a fun evening. More enjoyable than going to a movie, and about the same price (8 dollar swap admission, 5 dollar parking).

~jim

Always wanted to go to either spring or fall,didn't know it was going on this weekend.I had to work anyway,may be in the fall. Let us know when the fall one is coming up if you would please. I have heard good things about those shows.

Always wanted to go to either spring or fall,didn't know it was going on this weekend.I had to work anyway,may be in the fall. Let us know when the fall one is coming up if you would please. I have heard good things about those shows.
The Fall Columbus swap meet is the weekend after Thanksgiving. It used to be bigger than the Spring meet.

I went. I have been going to this show for over 20 years. When I lived in Pittsburgh we would make the three hour drive in for it. Now I live here, and work less than a couple miles form the show. I left work at 3:55 and made it to the ticket line by 4:00:)

Swap meets are not what they once were. E-bay and Craigslist have sort of made them obsolete. That is good and bad, and I am sure it has been discussed here.

As great as the web can be for making hard to find parts findable at all times of the year in all locations, I miss the treasure hunting aspect of the old days of swapping. I still recall some smoking hot pre-internet deals I found, and they are great memories.

I came home with:

~2 pieces of peanut butter fudge in my stomach from a woman who has been selling it alongside her husbands parts for years.

~1 free Boss 302 poster for my five year old sons room from Ford Racing.

~1 pair of square spring hood hinges I did not need but they were nice and I got them at a decent price. I have a few sets now, which I plan to blast and then phosphate. Hopefully I can sell the spares for enough to offset the costs of buying enough phosphate solution to submerge my original set.

I saw but did not buy:

~Nice looking but not perfect set of 15" trim rings for $650

~Set of closed chamber 351 C heads, 1970 build for $100. Thought hard on this, one of the valve seats had some bad damage, and I was just not comfortable with it. Good deal for someone.

~Clutch brake pedal assembly for $225.

~65,000 mile tach speedo cluster for $200, maybe less.

~71-72 urethane front bumper for $80. In primer, with a rust ripple on each end from the metal frame rusting and expanding. I have seen much worse, but it was clearly evident.

Definitely noticed less "hobbyists" selling and more regular circuit guys. I am guessing that with parts research being so easy with an I-pad now that any really good deals by a hobbyist are being bought up by the circuit guys and marked up for sale before the doors open. Vendors get in the doors at least two hours before the general public. Plenty of time to go scavenge before showtime.

Still a fun evening. More enjoyable than going to a movie, and about the same price (8 dollar swap admission, 5 dollar parking).

~jim
Wow, $650 for 15 inch trim rings; is that the going price for those!

Back