Intake and header upgrade

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

win1897

Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportroof 351c 4v
Hi , I am looking to upgrade my stock 351c 4v intake and headers , the only affordable headers I can find to fit my 4v with c6 are hooker 6195hkr , in either painted or ceramic , are the ceramic any good , durable etc ?

as for the intake the edel 2665 performer looks good? topped off with a edel 1407 or holley 0-1850s , want a manual choke , engine is stock though has pertronix and msd with wires and coil , may upgrade cam in time , looking for best bottom end power , any views most appreciated , thx in advance

The edelbrock performer and the factry 4V intake will perform about the same from what I have read. The newer Airgap has received some good reviews, but its taller and my not fit with a raim air set up

I agree with the ceramic coated I bought a set myself{ hooker competition} and the look great and it also keeps the engine bay cooler.And I also put the air gap on my engine {not a stock cam}from stock to air gap I gained 50 hp and a good amount of torque {don't have the numbers in my head}. But as said above if you are planing on keeping a functional ram air the air gap is to tall. But I wanted the extra power so I removed the ram air .The Air Gap is also a cooler intake so the need for cool air is not as important.

2008_0304engine0022.JPG

EDL-7564.jpg

I agree with the ceramic coated I bought a set myself{ hooker competition} and the look great and it also keeps the engine bay cooler.And I also put the air gap on my engine {not a stock cam}from stock to air gap I gained 50 hp and a good amount of torque {don't have the numbers in my head}. But as said above if you are planing on keeping a functional ram air the air gap is to tall. But I wanted the extra power so I removed the ram air .The Air Gap is also a cooler intake so the need for cool air is not as important.
Thx for that , the ceramic certainly looks miles better than painted , is the finish holding up ok? , as for the intake the air gap looks good , I do not have ram air ,will one fit under a stock hood without mods , I did consider a taller intake , if there is not much difference between a performer and stock I wouldnt bother with one , would go with airgap or torker but I have heard that torker are more for top end which I am not bothered about , want more grunt low down!

Any opinions on holley vs edelbrock ,and what size? , have heard holley are easier to set up , thx in advance

Thx for that , the ceramic certainly looks miles better than painted , is the finish holding up ok? , as for the intake the air gap looks good , I do not have ram air ,will one fit under a stock hood without mods , I did consider a taller intake , if there is not much difference between a performer and stock I wouldnt bother with one , would go with airgap or torker but I have heard that torker are more for top end which I am not bothered about , want more grunt low down!

Any opinions on holley vs edelbrock ,and what size? , have heard holley are easier to set up , thx in advance
I am running the Holley 750 Street Avenger with vacum secondarys.It has run flawless for 2 years now.

Mustang 5.jpg

I am running the Holley 750 Street Avenger with vacum secondarys.It has run flawless for 2 years now.
I looked at street avengers today , guy at shop reckoned the 670 would be enough , has your motor got a cam / etc ? , remember mine is stock with just ignition/exhaust upgrades , just wonder if a 750 would be too much?

the finish is holding up perfectly on the headers no change in color at all.And yes the air gap fits under a stock hood with room to spare for spacers if you ever want to add some.

Hi , I am looking to upgrade my stock 351c 4v intake and headers , the only affordable headers I can find to fit my 4v with c6 are hooker 6195hkr , in either painted or ceramic , are the ceramic any good , durable etc ?

as for the intake the edel 2665 performer looks good? topped off with a edel 1407 or holley 0-1850s , want a manual choke , engine is stock though has pertronix and msd with wires and coil , may upgrade cam in time , looking for best bottom end power , any views most appreciated , thx in advance
I have a stock 351c 4V with a cast iron stock 4V intake and A C6. I changed from the stock Autolite 4300 carburetor to a 670 Holley Street Avenger. I have had the Holley on for more than 2 years. Right out of the box with no jet changes, it has been running flawlessly and with no leaks. It performs much better than the Autolite. Prior to that, I installed Dougs Ceramic coated headers, Summit part number DOU-D6714. They fit well but about an inch from the stater and transmission. They still look good after almost 3 years in service. They also helped performance.

I looked at street avengers today , guy at shop reckoned the 670 would be enough , has your motor got a cam / etc ? , remember mine is stock with just ignition/exhaust upgrades , just wonder if a 750 would be too much?
Small Comp 270 magnum cam.From my experiance on 4V Clevelands they like lots of CFM.I would not be afraid of a 750-850 on the Cleveland.

Heck I remember back in 71 a local guy running an old Ford Off Highway Dominator intake on a Boss motor with a 1050 Cfm.I am not saying to go this route.I have had good luck with Holleys in the 800-850 dbl pump series.850 made more power,800 had better street manors.

Mustang 1.jpg

Back