Tilt Steering Wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Ok, this is driving me crazy. I know I have a tilt wheel in my 73, but can't get it to tilt (except for one time).

Is there any trick to it besides pushing the turn signal towards the dash and moving the steering wheel up or down?

Thanks

Try pushing lightly on the bottom of the wheel while pushing the TS lever forward.

The wheel is sprung "up", so there's some spring pressure working against the release dog in the column.

Does it matter if the ignition key is locked or unlocked?
Should work without the key. I agree, just press the lever back to disengage the cog and kind of jiggle the bottom of the steering wheel back and forth a little.

In order to get it to "pop" out of the way upon entry (opening the driver door), there needs to be vacuum. Make sure the cannister holds air (no leaks) and you need to start the car after locking the wheel into driving position to give the system enough air again to "pop" upon entry again! Does that address your concerns?

In order to get it to "pop" out of the way upon entry (opening the driver door), there needs to be vacuum. Make sure the cannister holds air (no leaks) and you need to start the car after locking the wheel into driving position to give the system enough air again to "pop" upon entry again! Does that address your concerns?
Not on 71-73's

The tilt swing away was on 67-69's only, iirc.

Try pushing lightly on the bottom of the wheel while pushing the TS lever forward.

The wheel is sprung "up", so there's some spring pressure working against the release dog in the column.
That did it. But I had to push the TS just a little harder than I was comfortable doing.

Thanks

Back