• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

27k original miles 71 Mach?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean it did not come with duals, tips and the cutouts? :rolleyes:

I see what you mean about the front end - look like its met a high curb or two in those 27K miles. Obviously many things have been repainted (bumper, engine, air cleaner, springs to name a few) and some things are missing (choke tube from the a/c) but for its age the car looks in decent shape and the price isn't insane but I'd pull that 140hp 302 in a New York minute and put in a 351W or Cleveland. :shy:

You mean it did not come with duals, tips and the cutouts? :rolleyes:

I see what you mean about the front end - look like its met a high curb or two in those 27K miles. Obviously many things have been repainted (bumper, engine, air cleaner, springs to name a few) and some things are missing (choke tube from the a/c) but for its age the car looks in decent shape and the price isn't insane but I'd pull that 140hp 302 in a New York minute and put in a 351W or Cleveland. :shy:
Wasn't the 71 302 rated higher than 140hp?

71 302 hp rating was gross and a little ore due to a .5 higher compression than the 72 that was rated net of 140.

This website says 210ho in 1971, http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=232

but since the rating system changed from 71 to 72 most cars "lost" 25% of their power to make the insurance companies happy.

Race a 71 vs a 72 Mustang with 302' 2bbls and I doubt there would be a 1/2 second difference in 1/4 mile times.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 302 gets no love :(
302 gets more than enough love on fox body forums;)

BTW..i think its a good little motor..Does a little of everything...Its design is a bit outdated compared to the 2v and 4v clevelands...but it will kick some butt too..Good light duty truck motor too.

Last edited by a moderator:

BTW..i think its a good little motor..Does a little of everything...Its design is a bit outdated compared to the 2v and 4v clevelands...but it will kick some butt too..Good light duty truck motor too.
That's because the old 302 Fox bodies (1980's) came with 225 hp.

I"ll bet looking that good,it"ll get someones attention.

That's because the old 302 Fox bodies (1980's) came with 225 hp.
well, I like my ole 302, it may not be fast but it sure as hell sounds good. I may do a 351w swap later on, but for now its just what's in there and I need to be happy that it works. :)

302's are great engines that respond well to upgrades {I've had 4 of them}. I have a warmed up 351w in a foxbody and a basicly stock 351c 2v with longtube headers and exhaust in my 73 sportsroof. I like the C best of all of those engines

by far, performance, sound and look.

My plan is to swap the cleveland for a mild fuel injected 5.0 based engine. Light weight, decent power and efficiency are the reasons. I figure I can build a decent 5.0 for way less than converting the Cleveland to fuel injection. I have been mulling over the pros and cons for quite a while. It's a decent sized investment no matter how it is looked at.

Do you think someone should tell him the plastic air deflector on the top of the radiator is backwards? Should be between rad and support.

Back