just purchased a 73 convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dviskoe

Reaction score
My Car
01 Bullitt DHG #2364
73 convertible ...rust colored
hello all, I just bought a 73 convertible, and it looks like this is the place to be

:)

i'll put a few pics up, but this was no gem, I got it for $1500, and prolly saved it from being scrapped for parts.

Just got it home, put in a new battery, and keys and it fired up with gas poured down the throat. and it ran for 2 min. or so from gas in a mt. dew bottle (we both now run on Dew)

there's much more to tell, and even more to ask (of course).

but for now I'm hoping to just get it on the road, then start replacing parts that are rusted (there's quite alot)

a bit more about me:

this will be the 1st classic 'stang I've owned, but I've had several fox bodied, and currently have an 01 Bullitt (2364).

Things i'd like to do to the '73:

get it running ...

new top

new left rear 1/4

new floor

.. then we'll see how creative I feel after that (and how the time / $$ equation is working out)

I'd really like to stuff something like this:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/3656574141.html

underneath it, but we'll see ...

anyway,

thanks for having me !

(like you had a choice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, it though i uploaded it into the tinyPic thing ?!?

ok, try #2 ?

gotta love technology .

(IT guy by trade, auto guy by birth)

2z8b5so.jpg

Welcome from Rhode Island.

you did find the right place for 71-73 Mustangs, any questions you have feel free to ask away.

there are alot of convertible owners here, and a lot of members know these cars inside and out.

Welcome to the 73 Mustang Convertible club (apologies to all my Mach I, Grande, etc. friends :p ).

You are definitely in the right place. Looks like a nice project you've got there. Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the site from another 73 Mustang Convertible and an 01 Bullitt (#0637) owner (my son drives the Bullitt mostly)!

Post up some pics of your Bullitt too!

Thanks,

When I saw it and how complete it was, I couldn't resist.

once the snow stops here (we're supposed to get another 6-12" tonight), I really want to start tearing into it a little more, put it up on jacks and get a better look at how much rust on the bottom.

A couple o quick questions,

if I replace the floor pan, how do i make sure everything is straight ?? Where is the structure that holds everything together once the floor is cut out ?

if the frame rails are rusted, can I just replace them as well with the same / similar method? I've done body panels before, but not structural pieces, makes me nervous.

So ... where's the best spot to look for sheetmetal ? so far I've had good luck with cjpony, but I interested to see where others shop.

Thanks,

When I saw it and how complete it was, I couldn't resist.

once the snow stops here (we're supposed to get another 6-12" tonight), I really want to start tearing into it a little more, put it up on jacks and get a better look at how much rust on the bottom.

A couple o quick questions,

if I replace the floor pan, how do i make sure everything is straight ?? Where is the structure that holds everything together once the floor is cut out ?

if the frame rails are rusted, can I just replace them as well with the same / similar method? I've done body panels before, but not structural pieces, makes me nervous.

So ... where's the best spot to look for sheetmetal ? so far I've had good luck with cjpony, but I interested to see where others shop.
Don at Ohio Mustang is a member here and posts up here often. Check with him for your parts too.

Welcome from another 73 convertible owner.

As one of the guys already pointed Don from Ohio Mustang is a member, check out Saturday morning garage with Q. He is another member and does some amazing body work. Even better he shows it on video.

Welcome from coastal Alabama! I'm a Mach 1 kinda guy but I also love the verts - just dont own one yet. Yours looks bad but not too bad. Check the cowl corners for rust. Easiest way is to pour water in the opening and watch for leaks. Don't pour much b/c odds are it will leak badly on one or both sides and onto the footwells. Pull out the interior & carpet to really see what youve got. Assess the entire car. Look at the base of the shock towers for cracks, frame rails, trunk floor, torque boxes, radiator support, inner fenders, etc, etc, etc.

Answer: radiator support/cross brace to front frame rails to torque boxes to rocker panels to rear torque boxes to rear frame rails to trunk cross brace. The floor pans rest in the cradle of the central structural support network.

Answer: yes. See saturdaymorninggarage videos. Scott does an excellent job educating us. He is the master. There are many others on here as well but Scott has videos. :) Also read Eric's posts. He is bringing his car back from beyond the grave.

Answer: Don at Ohio Mustang, CJs, and NPD are good sources. Don is fantastic.

Hi and ::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Getting a 71,72,73 vert is always a good idea. :)

Welcome! You'll love your car and this site. 73 is a great year for the vert, I love mine.

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back