AACA museum 73 conv raffle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a beautiful car. I believe those are Kelsy Hayes wheels for a Shelby. Thought not correct for concours, i think they look great on our cars.
I think they are a painted Magnum 500 with trim rings like some 69 or 70 Bosses came with or maybe a Torino Cobra.

Here at 7173mustangs we respect the decisions of others even if one does not personally find it tasteful.

the rims were PAINTED magnum 500's with a CHROME trim ring. I do not know what they came from as I found them at a swap meet. If my phone would let me post pictures I would but I'm currently attending my wife in the hospital so I really can't do anything about it.

Actually the pic looks more like the 69-70 shelby 5 spokes with the black paint. The 67 kelsey hayes magstars had thinner spokes and a machined spoke face. Either way they look great on the car. Just dont look like magnum 500's

magnumwheel.jpgmagnum500.jpg

Actually the pic looks more like the 69-70 shelby 5 spokes with the black paint. The 67 kelsey hayes magstars had thinner spokes and a machined spoke face. Either way they look great on the car. Just dont look like magnum 500's
Several styles of Magnum 500 wheels were made for Ford and Mopars and I think Buick too. Most of us are familiar with the Chrome ones in 14 or 15 inch with various caps including a spinner version. They started making a painted Magnum 500 for the 66 Shelbys and I'm pretty sure the same wheel was available in 14 inch as an option on many Fords and Mopars and some must have tried on trim rings and figured that looked okay.

Google Kelsey Hayes wheels and you will see a lot of familiar muscle car wheels

Last edited by a moderator:
Torinos and Cougars and granadas had painted Magnums with Trim Rings. The Cougar and Torinos were 14x7. They came stock on the Factory Starsky and Hutch Torinos. I ran them on my 73 H Code Mach 1. They were also used on Rancheros and the torino replacement for 1977 LTD II.

Kelsey Hayes was not the manufacturer of magnum 500's. the Motor Wheel Corporation of Lansing Michigan manufactured them. The company supplied versions to all the car companies, including AMC. Hemmings did a small article on them in 2006.

Well there they are with trim rings on a '65. You clearly had them on there. They look kinda like '77 trans am wheels with the trim rings on.

And Matrixx i dont think i said they looked bad or good. All i said was they didnt come on the car. My car came from Ford with 14" steel and dog dishes. Didnt have any rings when i got it. I didnt really have an opinion at the time if it looked good or bad, but thats what Ford put on it. Kinda strange with a cleveland and 2.73 hwy gears, you have thought it would have had 15's. we can all do whatever we want. Only has to please the owner. But when i see it i just think about if it was "factory" thats all. Like seeing Craiger ss wheels are supposed to be on a camaro and AR torque thrusts are supposed to be on a mustang and Ansen slots are supposed to be on a 73 mustang... And if a car is panther pink it has to be a mopar, ha ha.

I just drove by the Museum yesterday after attending a car show....wish I could have brought it home with me lol

Kelsey Hayes was not the manufacturer of magnum 500's. the Motor Wheel Corporation of Lansing Michigan manufactured them. The company supplied versions to all the car companies, including AMC. Hemmings did a small article on them in 2006.

Shoot - my bad. I thought they made them but surely they made other wheels for the car companies or maybe they are just a distributor.

This is what the Year One website says: The original Magnum 500 wheel (made by Kelsey-Hayes way back when) was so popular during the muscle car era that it was used by Ma Mopar and every other U.S. manufacturer. Now, with YearOne's improvements, the Magnum is now set to continue its reign of popularity well into the future.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet :)

http://blogs.moparmusclemagazine.com/6769943/miscellaneous/yearone-magnum-wheel-a-b-c-e-body/

no you cant listen to what the parts distributors say very often (try getting the PCV hose that goes from the drivers side valve cover to the back of the carb on a '72 2V) but if you speak to the owner of True Design Wheel he will give you a lot of info. Good guy too. He is making REAL magnum 500 restored steel wheels for our cars and should be supported by our members. Kelsey Hayes made fantastic wheels that i personally think were works of art. They were indeed a OEM parts supplier to Ford Motor Company, as well as a supplier to the aircraft industry. No wonder Shelby used them on some of his cars. If they matched our cars i might put them on...wait, you know what, i dont care if they are specific to '68, if i could find an original straight set i would put them on my '72. They look so good.

Well there they are with trim rings on a '65. You clearly had them on there. They look kinda like '77 trans am wheels with the trim rings on.

And Matrixx i dont think i said they looked bad or good. All i said was they didnt come on the car. My car came from Ford with 14" steel and dog dishes. Didnt have any rings when i got it. I didnt really have an opinion at the time if it looked good or bad, but thats what Ford put on it. Kinda strange with a cleveland and 2.73 hwy gears, you have thought it would have had 15's. we can all do whatever we want. Only has to please the owner. But when i see it i just think about if it was "factory" thats all. Like seeing Craiger ss wheels are supposed to be on a camaro and AR torque thrusts are supposed to be on a mustang and Ansen slots are supposed to be on a 73 mustang... And if a car is panther pink it has to be a mopar, ha ha.
Yeah i see where you are coming from. I'd like to find a set, well hell anything that might look decent on my '73. I like to mix it up a little, try something to add my personal little touch to it. even though it doesnt look like much now.

Back