6pt Roll cage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsquier91

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach 1
351W bored .30 over, 408 stroker, probe forged flat top pistons, forged H-beam rods, main gurdle, AFR 205 heads, harland sharp rocker arms, edelbrock performer intake, 750 carb.
Hey everyone i posted something about a roll cage a couple weeks ago, and yall suggested autoweldchassis.com for cages. ive been talking to them and i think im going with the 6pt roll cage with the swing out side bar option, safety kit with 5pt harness, the total shipped to my shop is going to be $550, do ya guys think this sounds like a good price?They will pre-notch the tubes for me, another question is do ya guys think the swing out side bar is a good idea? im a tall skinny guy and i dont want to have to crawl over a bar every time i wanna go out. and will this cage meet NHRA standards and also be street legal? im from maryland by the way. thanks in advance fellas

Jake

Hey everyone i posted something about a roll cage a couple weeks ago, and yall suggested autoweldchassis.com for cages. ive been talking to them and i think im going with the 6pt roll cage with the swing out side bar option, safety kit with 5pt harness, the total shipped to my shop is going to be $550, do ya guys think this sounds like a good price?They will pre-notch the tubes for me, another question is do ya guys think the swing out side bar is a good idea? im a tall skinny guy and i dont want to have to crawl over a bar every time i wanna go out. and will this cage meet NHRA standards and also be street legal? im from maryland by the way. thanks in advance fellas

Jake
I think it counts on the state...I hear it is legal in some and not in others..Mite be something you should check into...But i know a few registered cars with roll bars in them and drive them to the track..Does not mean they was legal thou..Specialy in my state were you dont get emission testing ..You can mod your car to hell long as they dont notice..lol..."Shelby had a head ache bar in the converts and on ac cobra's" But as for a 6 point..i think some states "and maybe most" will have a issue with it...I hear alot of insurance company's will turn you down if they know about it.

That's something I always thought was rediculous. Putting a cage in will give you more insurance of your safety therefore risk of severe personal injury is reduced.

I guess they figure you are more likely to "hot rod" your car with a cage. In VA they don't even look at the car before putting a policy on just give them your VIN and pay them some money and your all set. ( least in my area that is). Years back they would take pictures of it in case there was pre existing damage that they would use to not cover the claim.

Best to check with MD and maybe a NHRA rep to confirm the legality in case you spend money and then realize its not legal.

That's something I always thought was rediculous. Putting a cage in will give you more insurance of your safety therefore risk of severe personal injury is reduced.

I guess they figure you are more likely to "hot rod" your car with a cage. In VA they don't even look at the car before putting a policy on just give them your VIN and pay them some money and your all set. ( least in my area that is). Years back they would take pictures of it in case there was pre existing damage that they would use to not cover the claim.

Best to check with MD and maybe a NHRA rep to confirm the legality in case you spend money and then realize its not legal.
It is because roll cages are designed to be used with 5 point harnesses and helmets. In the event of a crash on the street, a roll cage is much more likely to do more harm than good. People have gotten seriously hurt and killed from smashing into the cage.

Yeah same thing with insurance in GA and NC and TN. They don't look at your car at all, and there are no inspections for cars this old.

NHRA has their rules online somewhere, just google it and you should find it.

Back