Leaf Springs or not

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
I finally was able to get the Magnums and new tires on the 73. Upgraded from 14x6 to 15x7. Either way I feel the car might be sitting a little low in the back.

The leaf springs are at least 23 years old and I know the bushings are dry rotted.

If I need new springs, go for 4 leaf (factory) or 5 leaf which should raise it a little?

Your thoughts???

Thanks

IMAG0188.jpg

That is a very nice convertible! Yep, new springs bushings and possible shocks would give it lift and an attitude! I would go for it, your car deserves it.

I would def get new springs. I personally like the rear of the 7173 squatting just a bit. But that can be done by other means once you have nice new springs if you agree.

Plus to me, I feel that I'm sitting low in the seat. (Compared to my other cars). Thought new springs while lifting the rear, would also give me a little lift.

Do I go with stock 4 leaf?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Just found a leaf spring shop right by my office. Think I'll check them out on Monday. But I'm sure he's going to need to see the car before making any recommendation.

Have been thinking about getting new leaf springs.

Will probably order the competition grade springs

as my Grande came with the competition suspension

package, 138 lb rating vs 94 lb. Then replace the

current air shocks :angel:, there has been some

discussion about air shocks here.

What else do I need to replace? The current springs

are probably the original ones, 42 years old.

The Ford shop manual says to replace all mounting

components when you replace the springs.

The springs I am considering are NPD part number

5560-20 made by Eaton at $299 for the pair. May

sound expensive but I have never let cost be a

deciding factor when doing restoration work on this

classic Mustang :D

mike

This is something I would not want to tackle myself. A local shop is quoting me 4 hours of labor to change the leaf springs. Is this normal?

Plus at first I'm just doing the leaf springs with leaving the shocks alone to see how the car rides and feels. I can't see changing something out if it's working fine. The leafs are being changed since the bushings are dry rotted and I'm sure that does have an effect on the ride and handling of the car.

But I do have 2 serious concerns.

1) If I change the leaf springs and shocks, I'm afraid that the rear might sit to high.

2) Then of course I would need to do the front shocks and coils.

It's like going to change a washer in the bathroom faucet. First it's washer and before you know it, you'll ripping out the entire bathroom.

The leafs really are not that difficult to replace, but really depends on how bad the mounts are. 4 hours sounds about right for a shop. But IMO if your going to replace the springs, might as well just put new shocks in while your there(unless they are not that old), if its factory spec springs/shocks i doubt it will sit high as these cars came a little lower in the rear from factory.

This is something I would not want to tackle myself. A local shop is quoting me 4 hours of labor to change the leaf springs. Is this normal?

Plus at first I'm just doing the leaf springs with leaving the shocks alone to see how the car rides and feels. I can't see changing something out if it's working fine. The leafs are being changed since the bushings are dry rotted and I'm sure that does have an effect on the ride and handling of the car.

But I do have 2 serious concerns.

1) If I change the leaf springs and shocks, I'm afraid that the rear might sit to high.

2) Then of course I would need to do the front shocks and coils.

It's like going to change a washer in the bathroom faucet. First it's washer and before you know it, you'll ripping out the entire bathroom.
LOL, same thing happened to me. Took it a suspension shop to switch out the sagging 40 year old rear springs, ended up redoing the whole suspension when they pointed out how worn everything was, front and back, springs, coils, shocks, all new bushings, new seals in rear end to stop leaks ... new brakes while they were at, ($1,600.00 later) a completely different handling car, sits up proud, every squeak and mysterious rattle gone, no bouncing and very little lean in the corners. By far the best spent money I've put into my 71.

Jim

My buddy replaced both my leaf springs in less than 3 hours, and all he had was a lift, a few wrenches, an air gun and several sockets for the air wrench/gun. I was there 4 hours, but he was diverted to re-wire 2 trailers and then he also fixed some issues with how my exhaust system was hung.

The OP is from New Jersey. If the car is an east coast car I would pay the 4 hours labor for the spring replacement. My car came from California so I got lucky and the front bolts came right out. I have read some horror stories on getting the bolts out when the are rusted in.

I like the lower stance
+1 Lower the front a 1/2 inch or so and you are there!

Back