Meet the donor car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1000

Reaction score
My Car
1966 convertible
1971 Mach 1
1971 Cougar XR7
1967 F250 Camper Special
Just picked up this 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, 4.6 4V for the engine and trans. Putting it in my 71 Cougar. I'll keep you guys posted on progress and documenting the process in case anyone is insterested in doing this conversion to their 7173.

100_4128.JPG

100_4126.JPG

This should be very interesting. I know those would be a really tight fit even in our cars. Those 32v engine make excellent harmonics and will be really cool in any classic ford.

I've heard that in 1999 the horsepower of the 4.6 jumped from 260 to 290 because of an improved head design. If it was 99 and not 98 then you might want to consider a head swap while doing the engine swap.

Make sure you check the intake manifold for a crack around the thermostat housing. These were notorious for cracking. I had one crack on a 97 Towncar and my 98 GT Convertible. Ford even had some type of program where they would pay for the replacement if under 70,000 miles and less than 7 years old. I missed out on both of my cars. The improved intakes has some metal reinforcement around the thermostat housing.These were 2V cars so the 4v may be different.

I had considered going with a 5.4 for my 72 convertible project, but it quickly faded when I started considering all the extra work compared to the 5.0 EFI swap I am in the middle of doing. Here are some things to consider...

A) 4 o2 sensors and at least two catalytic converters are required or the PCM will limp into a run rich mode unless PCM is custom tuned.

B) I'm pretty sure that has the PATS antitheft system, so unless you somehow wire in the GEM module, ignition switch antennae, and cluster in addition to the PCM, she isn't going to run. I believe there are custom tuners out there that can remove the PATS from the PCM.

C) I think the exhaust manifold will dump right onto the steering gear, so you'll have to do some creative fabrication there.

D) I am not a fan of the modular motors. They have tiny short piston skirts and I consider them quite fragile. Make sure you only use 5W-20 in that motor. TRUST ME.

E) Since you picked up a non-PI 4.6, you can get the same horsepower from a stock 5.0 HO and a much easier, cleaner, and inexpensive swap. EDIT - not true, forgot it's 32 valve.

I know there will be many many other obstacles you'll have to overcome and I look forward to the outcome! I just want to see how it fits between the shock towers to start off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently baught a '73 Q code convertible without the engine and trans. I want to do this same swap because of the reliability and horsepower of that engine. I can't wait to see your progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
You plan on keeping the black box that the man uses to track us like tagged animals? I like my old car without transistors and chips and that stuff. Cant shut my car off with a sattellite signal. Heh heh

You plan on keeping the black box that the man uses to track us like tagged animals? I like my old car without transistors and chips and that stuff. Cant shut my car off with a sattellite signal. Heh heh
Finally some progress on this build. I picked up a hydro boost brake master cylinder and pump out of an 03 Cobra for the swap from Carlisle this year. Need it since the 4.6 4V wont clear the stock booster and master cylinder. I've been doing some research on suspension and steering and brakes. I may go with RRS bolt in rack ($1,800) and their coiler over suspension and 13 rotor brake kit. (about $2,500). Worked on tear the Mark apart for a couple hours with my father yesterday. Just trans and engine mounts and fuel lines and pull it all out. Will update as I go.

And yes all engine / trans electrical will go with the engine.

IMG_1788.JPGIMG_1791.JPGIMG_1793.JPG

Progress. Slow. But progress

IMG_2603.JPGIMG_2602.JPGIMG_2600.JPG

Ummm...I think you have a bit of camber issues with that front suspension...

Gosh I would have wanted the Mark. Our company president had one of the Lincoln Marks. We were in a meeting with a bunch of BMW engineers and designers and they ask him why he did not drive a BMW. He said " go get one of your BMW's and lets go out on the interstate and see who is fastest. They did not take the challenge. When you went to fully throttle with those cars they actually lowered the whole car with the air suspension system.

I bought a PI modular 4.6 for a 1950 Ford business coupe and lost interest. I think Ford was pretty open with info to clear our the computers to put in hot rods just have to ask them.

I had issue with getting engine back far enough in the 50 as a rule of thumb you need the second spark plug to be inline with the front spindle to get weight right. I was going to have to cut the firewall an move a bunch in the 50 to get it that far back.

The new engines I think are amazing way more HP and much better gas mileage.

Always loved the Mark VIII (and Mark VII too) The Mark wasn't bad shape. 95k miles on it. Needed some TLC but bought it to be a donor car. My father has a 4.6 3 valve in his 71 Cougar so thought I'd go one more and do the 4 valve. Will have shorty headers, a computer tune and some other mods. Will be over 300 HP on pump gas at the turn of the key while getting around 18 -20 mpg. Plus will look super cool in the engine bay. My budget (kids and wife) don't allow for a Coyote crate engine at this time so went this route.

I remember our old DM at Super Shops , Dan B doing a killer stinky burn out in a rental car just like the donor. It was impressive.

Back