Recmmendations for replacement seat belts?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
351 Cleveland
PS, PB, A/C, rear defrost
The lap belt on the drivers side gave out today. Since I am going to have to replace it at the very least, I think I am going to install three point replacements for the front. Does anyone have recommendations (good or bad) for three point replacements? I'm hoping there is something out there that will use the current shoulder strap mounting points on my 73 sportsroof.

Thanks in advance.

If you are looking at a retractable type, I'd recommend you use a drop belt linkage. The linkage alters the angle of the belt slightly so when you are wearing it then it won't rest uncomfortably against your neck. Also, if you can, buy a retractable set with 10° bias built into them so the mechanism can be mounted at an angle. If you buy a set without the bias you will need to mount the mechanism vertical to allow it to work properly and the belt edges will wear because the belt will come out of the mechanism at an angle and rub.

I posted a little bit of relevant info on retractable setups here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-question-on-3-point-front-seat-belts-71-mach1

seatbelt11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I went with a company called Seat Belt Solutions. I was a bit skeptical because the three point retractable belt kit was supposed to fit all 1965-1973 Mustangs - coupes, convertibles, and fastbacks. When it arrived today and I installed it. No problems, very easy and it does fit my 73 Mach at all of the original mounting points with no brackets, extensions, rivets or other interesting things that came in the installation kit. For less than $200, this was a very quick and easy installation (less than 15 minutes per side) and safety upgrade.

11lpyrb.jpg

295epu0.jpg

They do not sell retail but many of the Mustang Vendors have the kit. I got mine from CJ Pony Parts #SBR4B. It looks like the kit you referenced earlier but instead of the button release, I got the flip top like an airplane seat belt because the plastic push button housing is what disintegrated on the old belts. Mine did come as a pair for about the same price as 2 of the singles you posted the link for. There are no part numbers on the instructions and the title is Custom 3-Point Seat Belt Installation Guide for: 1965-1973 Mustang. (And by the way the instructions are useless - look at the parts and you'll see how they go.)

The bolts that came with the kit worked great with on exception. The top mount by the roof has a smaller diameter mounting bolt but the originals swapped right in and using the original spacer behind the top mount provided make a good fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do not sell retail but many of the Mustang Vendors have the kit. I got mine from CJ Pony Parts #SBR4B. It looks like the kit you referenced earlier but instead of the button release, I got the flip top like an airplane seat belt because the plastic push button housing is what disintegrated on the old belts. Mine did come as a pair for about the same price as 2 of the singles you posted the link for. There are no part numbers on the instructions and the title is Custom 3-Point Seat Belt Installation Guide for: 1965-1973 Mustang. (And by the way the instructions are useless - look at the parts and you'll see how they go.)

The bolts that came with the kit worked great with on exception. The top mount by the roof has a smaller diameter mounting bolt but the originals swapped right in and using the original spacer behind the top mount provided make a good fit.
Great! I ordered myself the same set-up today before i read this post. It comforts me as I didn't really want to replace the existing set-up, but one retractor belt was damaged beyond repair when I removed the interior. This set-up, i believe, still has that old feel to it.

Back