Headers and steering box mix

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
Hello Everyone,

I'm working on a 1973 mustang Mach 1 with a 351C with an automatic. I got the tilt steering fixed and yesterday replaced the power steering box and it was a two man job, because of the headers that are on the motor, and I guess my question is after replacing the box and thinking about it over night I was wondering if anyone else has headers that touch or come close to touching their steering box. The steering box and the headers are very very close to each other and I'm wondering if the headers will cause premature failure of the box with all the heat. I don't know how old the old steering box was because it was on there since I had the car and could have been the orginial one. On a side note it really changed the way the car drives with that new steering box. No more chasing the steering wheel and wondering if I'm going to go into the ditch.

Another question I have for you guys is the rag joint. I pulled the rag joint off and replaced the rubber disk with a poly joint. While replacing the joint I notice that if this was to break there is no catch built into the joint. So in other words if the joint fails you are just along for the ride which kind of makes me wonder if this joint is right or it the prior owner cobbled something together to make this work or is this the way they are. Thank you in advance for the information......

My headers are kind of close to the steering box, and it is the original steering box. I haven't had any premature wear on it from what I can tell. Headers have been on the car for 10 years. I have a 4v, w/ PS and long tube headers.

Hello,

Due to clutch problem on my '73 Grandé I pull out the gear box, then the headers to repair the left one, then at least I decided to disconnect the steering box to inspect it, from it I need to change this steering coupler, which should be the original one, and also to check the grease inside, then I filled up the steering gear box (non integral), cause I saw that was grease came outside.

The headers are very close to the steering box and for me almost touch the rubber from the clutch fork, and was a pain in the a$$ to put back all pieces in place, espacially while working under the car in horizontal position.

About all the heat that come from the headers, I roll them around thermic wrap, to avaoid any overheat around the headers and inside the car itself. A friend of mine did like this and is happy about.

About the rag I choose one in polyuréthane.

I also have a 73, 351C with PS and headers. The headers are Hooker and I have about 1/8 inch clearance. I can get a sheet of paper between the header and the steering gear. I've had no problems with the original steering gear. To the best of my knowledge, the headers were installed about 13 years ago by a previous owner.

8yxglf.jpg

I have only been running my headers with my steering box for a couple months now, and my long tubes had to be dented to fit around the box. My PS box wasn't in very good shape in the first place, but it certainly heats things up. The grease on my box likes to start smoking after a trip. Fixing that leak today.

I also have a 73, 351C with PS and headers. The headers are Hooker and I have about 1/8 inch clearance. I can get a sheet of paper between the header and the steering gear. I've had no problems with the original steering gear. To the best of my knowledge, the headers were installed about 13 years ago by a previous owner.

8yxglf.jpg
That is how close they are on mine.... I will not worry about it any more then. I do have two of the tubes that where dented to keep it away from the steering box.. I will put that to rest then, Now I still wondering about the rag joint. My rag joint is just the ploy circle with the two halfves bolted together. All the rag joints I have seen have two pins sticking out to caught a metal plate on the other side of the rag joint. Mine don't have the pins sticking out or a plate for it to catch the pins to let you steer the car if the joint breaks. Is this right? I will try to attach a really bad picture but you get the idea I think. Sorry my camera sucks....

SUNP0002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back