Update: My 19 year old son joined the US Marines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
My 19 year old son is finishing up his first year of college in the engineering program. He's a smart kid but doesn't fully apply himself. He wants to take a break from school and do some "fun stuff", earn some money, then go back and finish college.

I'm OK with all of this so far. He mentioned the Marines or the Army. I don't think he would be a good fit for the Marines but would fit in well with the Army or Air Force. To my knowledge the Army doesn't have any engineering type jobs. Sure they have the combat engineer but that's really more like an infantry guy with explosives. The Air Force has engineering type jobs that would compliment his educational goals. The problem is he is close minded about the Air Force b/c if he "can't fly a plane then what's the point of the Air Force?"

What are the good jobs in the Army I should recommend for him to look at? His ASVAB scores are fine for any job.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 19 year old son is finishing up his first year of college in the engineering program. He's a smart kid but doesn't fully apply himself. The first year college grades aren't bad. He wants to take a break from school and do some fun stuff, earn some money, the go back and finish college.

I'm OK with all of this so far. He mentioned the Marines or the Army. I don't think he would be a good fit for the Marines but would fit in well with the Army or Air Force. To my knowledge the Army doesn't have any engineering type jobs. Sure they have the combat engineer but that's really more like an infantry guy with explosives. The Air Force has engineering type jobs that would compliment his educational goals. The problem is he is close minded about the Air Force b/c if he "can't fly a plane then what's the point of the Air Force?"

So what jobs in the Army are good ones I should recommend for him to look at? His ASVAB scores are fine for any job.
I had the same thoughts as your son when I was 19 and had just completed my 1st year of college, I wanted to find myself, pay my own way and have an adventure. I joined the Army for a 3 year tour, ended up spending 20 years.

When we met I told you about the path I took and it turned out really well with skills and training that got me a great job the day after I left the military. Have him give me a call if he wants to talk it through. He sounds like he's facing the same dilemma I did years ago. I'll give him the straight scoop about serving our Country in the Army and lessons learned.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I'll ask if he wants to discuss with someone other than "dad".

I guess I should have mentioned that I did a tour with the Army. My dad and sister were Air Force. I'm good with either of those with the Air Force being preferred due it it's more technical nature.

Thanks Jim! I'll ask if he wants to discuss with someone other than "dad".

I guess I should have mentioned that I did a tour with the Army. My dad and sister were Air Force. I'm good with either of those with the Air Force being preferred due it it's more technical nature.
Since you live near the water has he considered the Coast Guard? Now that's one had I to do it all over again I would have looked into. Staying close to America and always near water. I did 12 of my 20 years stationed overseas, tough on the family an some of it was in areas where water was what you carried with you.

Jim

i took a semester off after my first year. HUGE mistake. i regretted it within 1 semester. i fell behind my buddies. not as far as learning. Not socially. just academically. which is a world unto itself. and THEY make their rules. Do not allow your son to step off the train...you stay on and finish. there is a huge incredible massive stupid world out there as we all know...just finish the stupid 4 yr sh1t you have do ON TIME. after that, you can do all sorts of crap, but you gotta stay on schedule for the 4. in 24 months he will thank you when he is doing the final year.

My younger brother went to college for mechanical engineering,after screwing off most of his first year,he took the next one off to turn wrenches in a small time garage for min. wage.He went back the next year to finish, graduate and land a sweet cushy job with Raytheon working primarily military stuff where they send him all around the country & world to spend a couple days to fix related technical issues for the military,all expence paid.He makes a very nice living & gets rediculous benefits & time off.I remember being young and having been a parent it's hard to get them to see the future,but man if I followed a path like that,I"d be somewhere else for sure .Everyone has to find their own groove I guess.

Has he considered the Navy? He could do the nuclear power program which is demanding but the Navy will give him courses in Advanced Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics in that program. He will spend his first 2 yrs in school and the next 4 on the job. Only drawback is the 6yr requirement but alot of the training will apply to college credits. Once he gets out he'll have GI Bill for college too.

-jbojo

Navy Nuke Electrical!!!! My son Jason has done very well for himself since getting out. In Brazil right now.

I was in the Navy and I worked on EA-6B's. It was fun but if I had to do it over again I would be a SeeBee. There is one Engineering rating in the SeeBee's and it is EA (Engineering Aide). Luckily he has lots of options no matter what branch of the service he is considering.

Engineering Aides plan, supervise and perform tasks required in construction surveying, construction drafting, planning and estimating and quality control; prepare progress reports, time records, construction schedules and material and labor estimates; establish/operate a basic quality control system for testing soils, concrete and bituminous materials; prepare, edit and reproduce construction drawings; make control surveys, performing such tasks as running and closing traverses, staking out for excavations and obtaining and converting field notes into topographic maps; maintain individual combat readiness and perform tasks required in combat and disaster preparedness or recovery operations.

I had ten years on active duty with the Air Force, and after an eight year break, I retired last October from the Idaho Air National Guard with 22 years time in service.

The military was a great way to go, but as our society changes, and the concept behind the military keeps getting watered down, I don't think I am as anxious to recommend it as I was five years ago.

If he can continue to pay for school , then stay that course.

I'm an Active Duty Army Officer with 13 years in...hit me up about specifics but stricty engineering is more at the Warrant Officer or GS employee level. Nevertheless, there are still dozens and dozens of MOSs that are technical in nature.

The question is...what does he like to do and what are his interests? What type of engineering is he studying and does he like it?

-KR

wow, lots of great info and advice turning up. I knew you guys would share your thoughts on this one.

The question is...what does he like to do and what are his interests? What type of engineering is he studying and does he like it?

-KR
He likes guns, mustangs, his new (old) '88 F250 4x4, hunting, fishing, camping, and all things outdoors. He's good with computers and engines. When he plays video games it's not often but it's the car racing type games. He takes the truck 4 wheeling in some local mud bogs occasionally. He's in the civil engineering program in college. He mainly likes to stay outdoors, not the kind of office/indoor person. He really good with coming up with smart ideas. Aso Im sure that's the engineer coming out.

Don,

He sounds very well rounded. Well here's some thoughts on his basic MOS (job):

Guns and outdoors - 11 series - Infantry

Engineering type job - 12 series - http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/featured-careers/engineering-jobs.html

Computers - 25B (network technician) or maybe something like 25N or 25S

Mechanic - 91B - ehhh, working on mil vehicles isn't really fun

After his MOS then he should look at why type of unit or location to be assigned. If he's in good shape, focused, wants to be a paratroop and dedicated to success I recommend the 75th Ranger Regiment. They have plenty of communications (25 series), Infantry and mechanic slots. I don't think they have much in the way of 12T or N. Otherwise the type of unit based on location will generally dictate the level of fun he'll have.

-RLTW,

KR

I was active duty Navy for 8 and half years, and have been in the Navy Reserves since active duty in 2010. I was in the same place your son is in 2001 and after 9/11 I knew what I had to do. All the forces offer up great things, and I won't say anything bad about any of them. Army corps of engineers are pretty awesome, but its a commissioned gig, that means degree first. However, there are several programs that allow enlisted personnel to excel their careers by working towards a commission. The Navy has its Nuclear program, very hard and it has a huge dropout rate. The Marine Corps is a hard charging place for MEN. I have a lot of experience training the guys that go downrange, and the Marines are the best at it. With that, means deployments after deployments after deployments. Of course, all of this depends on the job he chooses. If he would like to get an all around preparation for the real world after the military, I would say the Navy. The leadership environment does wonders for training a person to excel in life after the military. If he wants to see the world, join the fleet, a ship has its ups and downs, but so does everything else. The first couple of years suck, no matter where you are as a newbie, but life gets better after that. So there are my 2 cents, hope they help a little.

Your son sounds like he has the same interests as me. I have been active duty Army for 4 years now. I am a wheeled vehicle mechanic (91B). If your son has the right attitude he can make it far in the military, in any branch. The problem with many kids that join is that they are just that, kids. I have learned many things and made the best friends I will ever have in the Army, and I have seen and done things I would have never experienced without it.

On the other hand, I have spent 3 of the 4 years overseas. My first marriage couldn't handle it. It can get very hard and frustrating at times. Oh and being a mechanic is not as fun as it would seem for most people. (I love it)

I don't regret it, and I think that this is going to set me up very well once I finish my term and leave the Army. rutkak I'm sure has been many more places than I have, he can give better advice I'm sure.

I just retired with 20 years in the Air Force Security Forces (military police). Most of my family have been either Army or Marines. I think you're going to find that the Army and Marines are primarily "combative". If you want computers, I would look at the Air Force and Navy. If he's doing this for the college benefits, look into the national guard.

He's talking about Air Force TACP. This is pretty hard core for the AF. It's one of the very few jobs where an Airman is a battlefield soldier. TACPs are embedded with the Army & Marine units on the battlefield and are the guys that call back to the AF for close air support. They drop bombs; "BIG bombs, small bombs, dumb bombs, smart bombs" and carry "105 pounds". Two references in the video worth listening for - hilarious and definitely worth watching. I had to watch it a few times. :D

[video=youtube]

Back