Staples question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lifizgud

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertable
Does anyone know how these are attached? The repops came with a bag of staple-looking things, but is there a device you use to attach them to the trim piece?

IMG_0850.JPG

Unfortunately no special tool. They probably also send you a drill bit.

Remove the inner plastic panel. Note location of old (if it's still there). Use binder clips or squeeze clamps to set the new weather strip into position. This applies to both inner and outer.

Use drill to make new holes for the staples. Most of the repops come with little indentations for the staple locations. Use hose pliers to properly squeeze and fold staples tight. I've always started the fold with needle nose pliers and complete the job with the hose pliers. Make sure the staples are folded tight!! If they stick out, they will scratch the glass.

BTW: check the exposed end of the stainless steel trim. You may have to file it smooth. It cost me megabucks when the sharp exposed steel caught on my wife's LBD and ripped a hole instantly....you do not want to be in that position when arriving in the stang for a nice event....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Some work in store but at least now I have a clue!

+ 1 with what Bill says

I also use touch up paint to black the silver staples out, otherwise you see them thru the windows

What I did was use contact cement to hold the new strips in place, then drill the holes for the staples and put them on as suggested above. Make sure to clean the plastic first or the new trim wont stick to it:)

Lifizgud,

I have a friend of mine with a 1972 Mustang Convertible who carried his trim and felt strips to an Auto Upholstery shop and had them staple the pieces on. He said it looks nice and factory. The Auto upholstery shop did all kinds of auto work that includes convertible tops. I would reach out to one of the better shops, if available in your area.

mustang7173

Lifizgud,

I have a friend of mine with a 1972 Mustang Convertible who carried his trim and felt strips to an Auto Upholstery shop and had them staple the pieces on. He said it looks nice and factory. The Auto upholstery shop did all kinds of auto work that includes convertible tops. I would reach out to one of the better shops, if available in your area.

mustang7173
Since a new top is in it's near future, that's a great idea! They can do it all at once! Thanks for the suggestion!

Back