Help replacing accelerator / throttle cable

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
-Former 70 & 72 Mustang coupes owner.
-69 Torino GT, Formal Roof, 351W, Edelbrock 600 cfm, dual plane high rise intake, long tube headers, AOD trans, dual flowmasters, Pertronix II Billet, 3.5 TRACLOC g/r, 15" Magnum 500s, 100A alt, mini-starter
-70 Mach 1, 351W, FMX
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This probably sounds pretty easy, but I couldn't get the accelerator / throttle cable off of the pedal on a 72 Coupe. Is there some trick to it or can anyone explain how to do it?

Background: I converted from an I6 to a 289. My accelerator cable works, but is WAY too long and it winds around a bit in the engine compartment causing notable stiffness in the pedal and the pedal is way too close to the floor.

I bought a replacement that is the proper length for a 302 that I'm looking to put on...can anyone help out in the explanation?

KR

There should be a small cotter style pin holding a larger retaining pin in place. Pull out the cotter and then the larger pin should come free. Here is a picture I found online for reference.

http://images.cougarpartscatalog.com/dc/D3ZZ-9A758-B/D3ZZ-9A758-B_%288%29-1028.jpg

Or if its the later version 72-73 version then all that's needed is to pull the throttle cable towards you and lift the retaining portion from the pedal. Here is a picture of that one for reference.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/images/1000/ACC4_1.jpg

John,

I sincerely appreciate the reply and that cleared it up a good bit to me. Looks like I ordered the wrong one or rather the one with the wrong end. I have a 72 and ordered what was listed as 72 but it looks like I need what is listed under the 73.

KR

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to my web site you can see pics of either

The changeover was in 72

Item #FM-EA012B

71-72 ACCELERATOR CABLE, 302/351

Reproduction throttle cable for 71 and early 72. Pedal mount is pin type. Price: $31.95

Item #FM-EA012C

72-73 ACCELERATOR CABLE, 302/351

Reproduction throttle cable for late 72 and 73. Pedal mount snap in type. Price: $31.95

OMS,

I appreciate the info but I just ordered one from CJPonyParts earlier this morning. I should have checked your site earlier so I'd know to double-check the end of the cable for the right type.

KR

Gurus,

Received order from CJPonyParts and swapped out the accelerator cable. The tension and position of the gas pedal is definitely correct now. The previous cable is easily twice the length (from an I6) and would wind around in the engine compartment.

It was actually a decent bit harder than I thought it was going to be. Getting the clip off the top of the pedal was a pain.

Thanks for everyone's help. I definitely recommend a thorough look before just buying a replacement since they changed over halfway in 72.

KR

Crew,

Just a follow up on this one since it was a pain several months ago. The reproduction accelerator cables are junk. I installed one and within days the sheathing pulled away from the spring and the accelerator pedal was barely 1 in from the floor. Thinking it was an odd occurrence, I ordered a replacement and within 2 weeks the same thing happened again.

I later ordered an authentic (although it's seen the years) accelerator cable off of Ebay and have not had any issues at all.

KR

There was an issue with cables over a year ago

Manufacturer replaced sellers stock - defective ones were suppose to be destroyed.

Newer cables have a crimped metal sleeve on the cable at the end of the plastic sheath to stop the slide / pull thru.

Did yours have the cripped fitting ? Please PM me.

Want to make sure it is not a new issue.

Don

Back