1971 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Owned my 1971 Mach 1 for almost 10 years now. Solid car originally from upstate NY with 96K original miles. Multiple parts robbed from a Boss 351 at some point in its life. Recently started the process of replacing the 40+ year old rubber and getting the car back to good driving condition. Try to post up pics later today.

Welcome to the site from another Virginian! Post up some pics. We also have a member map where under FUN STUFF you can post where you live.

Car is interesting combination of parts. Started as a plane jane 302 2v 3 speed Mach 1 that gained alot of parts off a crashed boss 351 sometime in the 70's or 80's.

So right now as it sets it is a 302 4v W/OEM Ram Air, 4 Speed, 3.91 Trac Lock rear end and various other parts.

Car is interesting combination of parts. Started as a plane jane 302 2v 3 speed Mach 1 that gained alot of parts off a crashed boss 351 sometime in the 70's or 80's.

So right now as it sets it is a 302 4v W/OEM Ram Air, 4 Speed, 3.91 Trac Lock rear end and various other parts.
Welcome from Wa state

+1 to what old pony said...And did you get the running gear from the boss? The traction lock rear end and 4 speed?

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks good...Was blue the original color too? So much happens to these rigs over the years....That 302 4v must be out of a earlier stang or Cougar? im sure with that low rear end and 4 speed she gots some take off power;)

Welcome to the club, also from Virginia. We have quite a few members from here yet I never see a 7173 on the roads. Nice looking car, do you plan to keep the 302?

Alot people have asked me why and I would love to go to a 351C 4V 4 Bolt Blah Blah Blah, but I simply have not found a trust worthy donor at a reasonable price.

That said I am picking up a 302 next month which will be my base for a new engine. I refuse to screw with the motor in the car right now since it is the original motor, still runnin on leaded gas.

These cars are heavy and the weight distribution sucks. So a lighter motor up front helps that some. With the Strokers easily built today I figure it is an easy route with a more or less stockish setup. I have alot of work to do in between deployments the car has only been driven a few miles in recent years. Still has much of the 40 year old rubber that needs replacing. Biggest thing for me is it is enjoyment which means driving it.

So within the last few days I finally started the adventure of making it fully capable of long trips. not the short ones it has only been able to do in recent years.

She looks good...Was blue the original color too? So much happens to these rigs over the years....That 302 4v must be out of a earlier stang or Cougar? im sure with that low rear end and 4 speed she gots some take off power;)

Welcome from Oklahoma!

I think he has a original F code (302-2V) that has been upgraded to a 4bbl carb/intake setup...

Ray

I think he has a original F code (302-2V) that has been upgraded to a 4bbl carb/intake setup...

Ray
Hehe...Well that is still a 2v with a 4 barrel too me...Damn...I need to be less technical at times;) not much dif between the 302 2v and 4v thou besides carb i guess....But 302 4v's did have higher compression.

Ray

Actually it was a 68 4bbl intake and Carb that was installed many years ago long before I owned it. But ya original F code. This summer I might be able to dig up the picture and scan it of way back in the early 70's in its original form.

Currently setting on a 4bbl OEM Ford Aluminum intake from an 84 Mustang that I plan to replace it with. When I set the aluminum next to the 68 cast iron other than a few extra emissions ports they were almost identical. Cast Intake is the only one right now that has the carburetor with spacer at just the right height to mate to the ram air plenum on the hood. The aluminum one is the same height so I have no doubt it will work also.

Great looking car and I love the rear window slats and the different hood stripes.

Welcome from Houston, Tx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back