Knotts Berry Farm Show Today Re-Cap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi everyone,

As most of you know, I am a recent 71-3 guy with my 73 Mach purchase.

Once a year they hold a Huge show at Knotts here in So Cal. Today there was over 2000 Fords with 1100 of them being Mustangs. I came to the show in hopes of looking at all the 71-3 mustangs and taking pics of some of the completed one's for when re-assembly time comes. To my huge disappointment, there were only 8 of our cars out of 1100 mustangs. I was pretty shocked and did not realize that they are either much rarer than I thought or that most people would rather have a 65-70. Maybe it is a combination of both...there were 2 Boss 351s that I saw, 2 verts, a Grande, and 3 Machs with none of the Machs being anything special for pics.

Here are a couple pics of the crowd...let me know why you guys think there were so few of our cars?

Jeff

Here are a couple pics of the crowd...let me know why you guys think there were so few of our cars?
When the world is polluted with restored '65s, '66s, and new S197's, statistics begin to get skewed ;)

-Kurt

I think most of the mustang crowd yawns at the 71-73s but the rest of the world sees one and thinks they are cool. At least that's what happens when I drive my cars...get several positive comments everywhere I stop.

Hi everyone,

As most of you know, I am a recent 71-3 guy with my 73 Mach purchase.

Once a year they hold a Huge show at Knotts here in So Cal. Today there was over 2000 Fords with 1100 of them being Mustangs. I came to the show in hopes of looking at all the 71-3 mustangs and taking pics of some of the completed one's for when re-assembly time comes. To my huge disappointment, there were only 8 of our cars out of 1100 mustangs. I was pretty shocked and did not realize that they are either much rarer than I thought or that most people would rather have a 65-70. Maybe it is a combination of both...there were 2 Boss 351s that I saw, 2 verts, a Grande, and 3 Machs with none of the Machs being anything special for pics.

Jeff

I just got in from a great day at knotts'. What a show! I found 3 Mach 1s worth taking picks of. The black 71 was very nice. I B/S with the owner for a while, he will be checking out are site.
Yeah every year there is only about a dozen or so 71-73s. Those 2 Boss 351s are there every year. I must say you won't find any better examples. They are stunning.:cool: Then again my wife's 2013 was the only V6 convertible in the 2010-2013 class.

Knotts 2013 002.jpg

Knotts 2013 001.jpg

Knotts 2013 003.jpg

Knotts 2013 004.jpg

Did you happen to get photos of any of the 8 71-73 cars? Would like to see

them if you did.

I didn't go to Knotts this year or last but went for most of the 10 yrs before then.

My reaction then was similar to yours, where are the 71-73s?

I'm surprised there were that many...they are growing in popularity and price tag but the earlier mustangs still hold the favorite for most car buffs even though (in my opinion) they are not built as well as ours for handling

I had a blast at the show today , my 5.0 EFI"d 72 coupe ran awesome there and back, met wolverine and one other gentlemen from this forum, yes it was totally a great experience, I took alot of pics ill post them when I get a chance. the number of 71s and 73s were few but in my opinion i think that just makes our cars that much more unique against a sea of 64-70 mustangs.

We had 7-8 in my club's show here in san diego last october. So I'm a bit surprised there weren't more given how much bigger that show is (we only had 300 cars at ours)

But as for the 71-73's at knotts themselves, while I wasn't there I know of at least 2 that should have been there. There should have been a black/silver 73 w/ a 429 and also a red/black 71 w/ a 302 there as well. So if anyone has pics of those,and is curious they are both in the SDMC along w/ me and at least 2 other 71-73's

(so while there may have been few at the show, they are out there)

....and before anyone asks I could not attend w/ mine because, while my car was in nearby in SD, I was 1300 miles away in Dallas :(

But BTB while I'm on the subject for anyone in southern california or even western AZ on here, if you want to see more try and make it to my club's car show "mustangs by the bay" here in San Diego every October (like I said, we at least 7 last year). And this year I believe we are going to be extending the number of 71-73's classes with one just for verts too (since there's more of them now and they used to get shut out by the mach's,lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
When the world is polluted with restored '65s, '66s, and new S197's, statistics begin to get skewed ;)

-Kurt
Part of the reason is production numbers.

64.5-66 1,288,557

67-68 789,575

69-70 491,063

Total other classic years production about 2.5 million

Our 71-73 total production -- 412,114

ref:

http://www.mustang-club.com/Mustang_Production.html

Not the only reason but early stangs are still fairly easy to find...

Ray

Ray,

Those stats really answer the question...based on your numbers there were about 3.0 million mustangs made from 65-73. Only 412 thousand were 71-3s which is only 14% of the total. That really brings home how few of them there are compared to the early years.

Thanks for the insight.

Jeff

Well I am happy to own 1 of only 412,114 mustangs. :)

Exactly!

We had 7-8 in my club's show here in san diego last october. So I'm a bit surprised there weren't more given how much bigger that show is (we only had 300 cars at ours)

But as for the 71-73's at knotts themselves, while I wasn't there I know of at least 2 that should have been there. There should have been a black/silver 73 w/ a 429 and also a red/black 71 w/ a 302 there as well. So if anyone has pics of those,and is curious they are both in the SDMC along w/ me and at least 2 other 71-73's

....and before anyone asks I could not attend w/ mine because, while my car was in nearby in SD, I was 1300 miles away in Dallas :(

But BTB while I'm on the subject for anyone in southern california or even western AZ on here, if you want to see more try and make it to my club's car show "mustangs by the bay" here in San Diego every October (like I said, we at least 7 last year). And this year I believe we are going to be extending the number of 71-73's classes with one just for verts too (since there's more of them now and they used to get shut out by the mach's,lol)
I talked to Ron Friday night, he told me was not going to make it. The red 302 Mach 1 wasn't their ether.

I had a blast at the show today , my 5.0 EFI"d 72 coupe ran awesome there and back, met wolverine and one other gentlemen from this forum, yes it was totally a great experience, I took alot of pics ill post them when I get a chance. the number of 71s and 73s were few but in my opinion i think that just makes our cars that much more unique against a sea of 64-70 mustangs.
Steve it was to cool to meet you and check out your coupe. Where is James ( wolverine ) with the pic to show that we did meet.:dodgy:
Mike.

Some more pics from knott's.

I had a chance to meet Dave ( 69rustang ) and his boys. Dave was doing a quick run threw the show and didn't stay long because he had other plans with his boys that after noon. It was too cool meet him and the boys.

Check out this 70 cougar, I went by it 3 times. It's freakin awesome:cool:. Isn't the 351C the best looking Ford motor ever? Chuck would dig the 70 Boss 302 Cougar Eliminator, it was perfect. I would have to say the wildest car there was this 63 galaxie wagon powered by a twin tubro 6.0 powerstroke diesel,you know a trailer tow package .:D Can't forget the survivor 74 Mach 1 and CHP Mustang. Oh yeah and my wife's 2013.

Steve it was to cool to meet you and check out your coupe. Where is James ( wolverine ) with the pic to show that we did meet.:dodgy:
Mike.

You guys think I live for this stuff?

Steve is cool. So is his pa. There is definitely a lot of knowledge there.

By the way, I am the skinny guy. Yes, that's right. The skinny guy. In fact, I think my Speedo would fit tighter on Paris Hilton then on this white guy's behind...but then Paris has to get them off a lot more often then I do.

23jlv8z.jpg

That silver Cougar has been restored twice. When looking at the glass, I noticed it was thicker and definitely not factory cut. The rear window bowed out, not in. I asked the wife/girlfriend about it...all she mentioned was all the cash the guy through at the car. I mentioned it was better then throwing it a girlfriend. She didn't laugh.

The guy had every piece of glass made for that car. I think he had air on the front suspension also. It was pretty flawless.

That white Mustang convertible wasn't too shabby either.

I talked to Ron Friday night, he told me was not going to make it. The red 302 Mach 1 wasn't their ether.

Mike.
well I thought ron went but having since made that original post I learned that though the guy w/ the 302 71 actually set off for knotts he didn't make it cause his mach started acting up on the way.

In his words

"driving my 71 (302 3spd M/T) Saturday and once I got it on the highway and got the speed up it seemed like the tranny disengaged and I lost all fowrard momentum to the point of having to pull over . This is new as it has never done it before and does not do it at low speeds in 1st of 2nd"

so not sure what's going on there, but dang, I thought at least 1 made it....oh well, I know for sure they'll all be there at our show in october,lol

Geez, guys, I'm jealous! I really woulda liked to be there with all of you. I'm happy to see you finally met each other.

By the way, kudos to James both for being the skinny guy and most of all for the shirt he's wearing!

My wife saw the pic and immediately said: "Wow! What a cool shirt!". :)

It was really nice to be there and meet the folks i did and have folks check out my car im very proud of my car, and its come along way and still has a way to go.

I know my time stamp on the camera is wrong im still working on fixing that. also alot of ppl really dug my jack daniels coolant overflow bottle lol

that yellow mach 1 just showed up to my club's monthly meeting tonight....apparently they're part of the club. So that actually means that a mach 1 from the club did actually make knotts,lol

BTW Stangrpunk, are you gonna restore yours into the DAF Bond car? Cause it seems to have the same paintjob

Back