Mach Stripes on the Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
We skirted around this topic in a few other threads, but I wanted to start a new thread for some opinions...

I'm thinking of putting a black vinyl roof on the coupe and keeping the original Gold Glow Metallic color but adding the top part of the Mach stripes. I don't think the lower black out decal would look good with the chrome rocker strips. I did a little photoshop to help illustrate! What do you guys think? Will the ginger interior look ok with a black top?

72coupe.jpg

Barry,

As you may recall, that is essentially what I am looking at with my Grande. Of course, I am currently going with medium bright yellow instead of gold glow, though. My intent is to not use the chrome strip; I will black out the bottom portion (around 6 -8 inches).

I wish I would stop seeing photos of that gold glow stuff...it REALLY looks good!! I have started to notify my painter a couple of times to make the change. Woe is me!!

BT

Haha, Sorry Cobra!

I do like the gold glow and it's the original color...not so important since we are resto-modding it to a slight extent but at least it will be the original color code! The interior is 100% original also.

Just left the shop and was told the Grande will be going to the Painter on or about this Friday. According to the owner, I will still have about three weeks before they will need the color decision.

I have ordered the "Marti Report" and have decided I will go with what it says was the original color (if it is medium bright yellow or Gold Glow). I am 99.99% sure that it will say "Gold Glow." If so, I will leave it that color..NOW, I have officially said it!

Plus, the First Lady has said she thinks I should leave it the original color. Oh well, I will still have the YELLOW Mach I.

THANKS Rocketfoot :)!

BT

Sounds good! Either way, you can't go wrong! :D

For what it's worth, my 73 Greengold has this black stripe. It was on there when it was bought new so I know that this stripe is "authentic" on a coupe. Or was that the ?...lol been gone a a few days and trying to catch up.

I just want it to look good, not going for a concours restoration or anything. That is good to know though! I didn't know any coupes came with stripes!

Honestly Rocket..I think originality is pretty much out the door anymore. Nobody can afford the stock classics anymore. Nowdays it's about restomodding and building to taste. Yeah looking at an all original 32,000 mile Mach looks cool, but thats for the B-Jackson crowd. Your ride should be just that.....yours. Build it to have fun!!!

Personalize it brother!!!!

Mine has both lower stripe and chrome strip. I know it is not true Mach 1 but looks good to me and will stop some of the gravel chips I get from living down 1/2 mile of gravel road....

I've been toying with the idea of a 70 boss stripe variation--a bit thicker perhaps--I also plan on a NASA hood so might tie it into that somehow

Not sure where I found these but I've had them on my computer ever since I got my car--sort of something to shoot for

71FOMU03.jpg

71coupe.jpeg

Nice! I do like the stripes with vinyl roof!

Well, ya'll will be able to see it pretty soon because that is the exact pattern (the white coupe) that I am going with on "Ice" (my '73 Grande).

The only differences will be the color (Barry's Gold Glow:) with black striping) and the Mach I grilles, front and back.

Should be completed (the paint and body work) by the end of October, per my contract with the shop!

BT

Yeah almost made me reconsider dumping my vinyl top--almost lol

I just want it to look good, not going for a concours restoration or anything. That is good to know though! I didn't know any coupes came with stripes!
In 1972 Ford was trying to come up with ways to market the car to a wider audience. So in 72 they added all the Mach 1 options to the coupe and it was unofficially called the sport coupe. Starting in 72 you could get a coupe with a Mach1 front grill, and matching honey comb tail panel, along with the front and rear spoiler, the color keyed urethane front bumper, color keyed front fender extensions, with the fog lights, a ram air hood, and all the same stripping options that the Mach 1 came with. When I started my resto on my 72 coupe, I printed out a picture of this original add and put it on the freezer in my garage. I need to find it and post it here, as there have been many questions about what options were available on these coupes. I built my to match that add exactly (minus the rocker panel and hood blackout because those are painted on and the stripes are decals, I decided to leave them off because you cant match the rockers and the hood color to the stripes.) And it came out GREAT, remember the options were available in 72-73 coupes only to help boost slumping sales.

0804101227_tn.jpg

0804101226_tn.jpg

0731101609.jpg

0804101226a_tn.jpg

0731101609a.jpg

Back