It's days like these when you shoulda stayed on the couch....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
..... and watch TV.

You may remember that I tried to black out the center of the hood on my vert. Because it was supposed to be a test only I did it in Plasti Dip so I could remove it.

So today I chose to remove it and some baaaad mojo happened.

Although the Plasti Dip was easy to remove and actually left no trace I forgot that there was a small chip in the clear coat where a bolt of the scoop had been slightly over tightened.

Now I'm left with this mess.

I wish I could kick somebody for it but I guess it was my own fault forgetting about that blister in the finish.

[attachment=15155]

well that is interesting, the clear didn't bond at all. might be a silver lining because over time the engine heat through the hood would of popped more of the clearcoat off the paint.

also over time when it got wet dirt would of gotten underneath the clear and would of drove you nuts.

That sucks lux...I defenatly feel you're pain.... I woke up one morning after a wind storm with a camper from a truck blown on top of my mustang:( She still has a few scars after that one....But i guess it is better than loosing my whole car...lol

Dang. Sorry that happened to you.

If you stay on this site long enough, you will learn from the mistakes and missteps of others.

But if no one ever tried to do anything, nothing would happen and no learning could take place.

-And many of the attempts have been very successful. If not for that blister - yours could have worked.

Hang in there and thanks for sharing.

Ray

The paint failure wasn't a result of what you did. There was something done wrong in the paint process or the clear would have been bonded to the color coat. While your test may have accelerated the paint failure it was going to happen. I'd be calling the painter and having a talk as even a new hood with fresh paint is not going to help with the rest of the car that is potentially going to have the clear coat separate. It might have been the paint too, so I'd start off being nice.

The paint failure wasn't a result of what you did. There was something done wrong in the paint process or the clear would have been bonded to the color coat. While your test may have accelerated the paint failure it was going to happen. I'd be calling the painter and having a talk as even a new hood with fresh paint is not going to help with the rest of the car that is potentially going to have the clear coat separate. It might have been the paint too, so I'd start off being nice.

That's very true Jeff.

Delamination issues can be caused by differant things. Worth discussing with the paint shop that did your work to try and sort it out.

Greg:)

Reminds me of a problem Chrysler had with their paint about 10-15 yrs ago you'd see tons of Dodge Neon's driving around with paint or clear that had peeled off of the car.

Can't hurt to talk with your painter as it would be a crying shame to see that happen to the rest of the car.

I am so sorry for you. seriously that sucks:(

Man, that sucks. But I'm with Dan - better to have it go bad like that, than come apart later like a bad Mopar paint job. Maybe just get the hood re-cleared and keep the rest under a watchful eye.

Ooooooooooo daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! That sucks, Mike. Now I wish I told you that I liked it! :D
Oh, that's cool. A volunteer for taking the blame and getting his butt kicked!;)

No, on a more serious note, I went to a few paint shops today and it won't be that easy. Nobody wants to shoot just the clear because they say that there is an issue with the paint otherwise this would not have happened in the first place. So if they shoot over this mess, it will end up flaking after a while.

I think they really don't wanna talk me into something because two of the three actually suggested I sand the flaked clear on the center part down into the "good" clear and have someone wrap the center part in matte black instead of painting it. (Means they don't touch it at all and make no money whatsoever) That way I could get some mileage out of it until it goes bad again.

Problem is that I actually now I know I prefer it yellow, the way it was before. The blackout was a test and I was kinda uncertain about it but after I got it off, I must say I like it better without it.

The paint shop that did the initial paint is no longer around unfortunately.

I have an offer from my local Ford dealer to sand the hood all the way down to the metal and repaint it yellow plus clear. Not cheap but probably worth it.

Been thinking about going for the NASA hood that I always liked but that will get more expensive because first the part here in Europe is expensive and second it needs the blackout treatment which means more work and hours. That will double the amount for the fix.

Then again, that setup is pretty standard. This plain hood with the 69 scoop is kinda special and makes the car stand out.

We'll see. I'll talk it over with the wife and sleep over it and then I'll decide which way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back