Calling all military & vets

Don65Stang

Well for those of us that didnt serve, we honor all of you that did. I was on the tail end of the NAM era. My brother had just returned in 71 out of the 1st Armored from Ft.Hood and my uncle just returning after 5 (pretty sure that's accurate) fun filled trips with 82nd Airborne from Ft. Bragg. Kenny was there when we didnt exist over there. His buddies would come over on the weekend and they were Berets, Rangers and the like and I can only assume he was a Ranger. I use to listen to them for hours, I lived with him at Ft.Bragg until my brother returned I was 13.

Both talked me down as I announced my desire to enlist.

I don't know what kind of award would be appropriate for a guy that almost joined...

maybe this one clittle.png.1b56922c04ca6d9f3a1cdbeaab7a8963.png

spacer.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 years in Air Force-Basic training at Lackland AFB TX

Tech school at Sheppard AFB TX

Aerospace ground equipment (AGE) Robins AFB GA

6987th Security Group SHU LINKOU Air Station Taipei, Taiwan.

Have been TDY to Keesler AFB MS

Fort Bragg NC

Fort Benning GA

Eglin AFB FL

Pope AFB NC

Wright-Patterson AFB OH

Elmendorf AFB AK

and a few places so remote they didn't have names! Have other family members that were or still are in Marines, Navy, Army, Air Force and the Guard!!

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

8 yrs, 4 mos, 29 days, US Army, survived the NAM with only a few holes in my hide and 5 MOS'S Germany was a blast, banging nails (carpenter) not knuckles, Texas/White Sands, lived on sand, heat stroke and rattlesnakes in a XM816 wrecker and a bar to "reenlistment", a wannabe general didn't like the idea that I was going to be making more then him without having to say "sir" to any one.

1974-1976 82nd Airborne Division, Pathfinder Platoon and 2/505 Combat Support Company, Ft. Bragg, NC

1976-1978 172 Artic Light Infantry Brigade, Pathfinder Detachment. Fairbanks, AK

1978-1979 Armor Crewman, Georgia Army National Guard

1982-1984 2LT, Medical Service Corps, US Army Reserve

1984-1995 Major, Veterinary Corps, US Army (Ft. Bragg, Ft. Detrick, Walter Reed, USUHS)

2001-2011 LTC, Veterianry Corps, US Army Reserve

I spent time at Ft. Ord, Ft. Polk, Ft. Benning, Ft. Bragg, Ft. Wainwright, Ft. Richardson, Ft. Sherman (canal zone), Ft Detrick, Walter Reed, and Uniform University of the Health Sciences.

When I was young and immortal, I was tough as woodpecker lips. I tried like hell, and am still disappointed that I was never allowed to go to Ranger school.

In 2011, with 24 years of service, I finally decided to hang up my spurs. Nearly 17 years of active duty, 2 breaks in service, and almost 8 years in the reserves was enough. I joined when Nixon was president and retired when Obama was president.

Defense of our great nation is a young man's game, though, and I'm not young anymore.

Ron

The Rickster, a 1973 Mach 1, being restored as a tribute to my brother who passed away with COVID in July 2020.

Billy, a 1976 Ford Bronco, also needs a lot of work.

El Guapo, a 1986 F150, frame-off Resto-Mod.

Also, in the queue, a 1950 Ford F1 Panel truck and 1962 Falcon Ranchero

Well for those of us that didnt serve, we honor all of you that did. I was on the tail end of the NAM era. My brother had just returned in 71 out of the 1st Armored from Ft.Hood and my uncle just returning after 5 (pretty sure that's accurate) fun filled trips with 82nd Airborne from Ft. Bragg. Kenny was there when we didnt exist over there. His buddies would come over on the weekend and they were Berets, Rangers and the like and I can only assume he was a Ranger. I use to listen to them for hours, I lived with him at Ft.Bragg until my brother returned I was 13.

Both talked me down as I announced my desire to enlist.

I don't know what kind of award would be appropriate for a guy that almost joined...

maybe this one

I shall accept said award and wear it with honor and shame alike :D

67 Diamond Blue Vert

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRveIaRU6OAzTfd2Mv6ypGH49BZcPU7MS_7PBKhiOmpmJJrHJ_B_Q

DUDE

LOL even my sig line offended somebody!

I had almost 10 years on active duty, and then took an 8 year break, and got 12 years in with the Idaho Air National Guard. On AD, I was at F.E. Warren, in Cheyenne, Wyo., as well as 3 years at Rhien Mein in Germany, for the desert shield/desert storm tour. Loaded a lot of C-5's, C-141's, and a few C-130's.

Guard time was waaayyyyyy better for me, as I got to go to Saudi Arabia, (2x), Kuwait, Iraq, Qatar, Germany, (4X)TDY on the east coat for school in Georgia, brief tour in Charleston, and Dover, Del.

Retired in October of 12, tried to find a new home and life around Colorado Springs, and didn't get it done. I am now a diesel mechanic for the US Post Office, trying to transfer back to Colorado, as that is where everything I own is.

When I came to NY, I was only supposed to be here a short time, on my way back over seas as a contractor, and I didn't get any of those jobs either!

I really like what I do, I just need to get back out west...My quality of life will be MUCH better, when I am able to enjoy the fruits of my labors!

USAF born and bred, so was wife. I spent 20 years in USN FBM Program C4/D5, TLAM N, 19 strategic disappearances etc. etc. Still doing work as a contractor.

Also did 20 yrs , 1 tour on an SSN and 2 tours on a SSBN. Was always playing hide and seek during my time in the service.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

SGT Bromen Sheldon Robert U.S. ARMY (RET) served 7 years, started national guard retired active duty 11B was early full medical after injured LOD I served with the 34th infantry division, 84th troop command, 175th RTI, 4th ID under MEDAC. have been to ft benning , ft McCoy, camp riply, ft chaffe, McGwire afb, ft dix, peaterson afb, shreiver afb, grand forks afb, Fargo afb, ft, Lewis, st paul afb, ft, gurnsy, afb in Cheyenne, great lakes navel station, Canada, Netherlands, Croatia, hungry. I would sell me soul to get back in!

SGT Bromen Sheldon Robert U.S. ARMY (RET) served 7 years, started national guard retired active duty 11B was early full medical after injured LOD I served with the 34th infantry division, 84th troop command, 175th RTI, 4th ID under MEDAC. have been to ft benning , ft McCoy, camp riply, ft chaffe, McGwire afb, ft dix, peaterson afb, shreiver afb, grand forks afb, Fargo afb, ft, Lewis, st paul afb, ft, gurnsy, afb in Cheyenne, great lakes navel station, Canada, Netherlands, Croatia, hungry. I would sell me soul to get back in!

Were you wounded?

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

• 4 years later...

I served as a Ammunition Technician MOS 2311 in the USMC and got out in 1970. Is it too late to get this award?

1972 Mustang Sportroof Restomod Finished September 2017, Coyote 5.0, TKO 600, Wilwood brakes, Rod & Custom Coil Over suspension front and rear, TA Radials on Billet Specialties wheels, Mustangs to Fear headers. w/SS exhaust and TMI interior. Painted Ford's Deep Impact Blue.