Intermittent Wiper Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
351 Cleveland
PS, PB, A/C, rear defrost
My intermittent wipers are acting more like random wipers. When turned on using the normal on position, the wipers do not stop when turned to off. They continue for a couple of minutes, about 2 minutes then stop. Same thing if I try the intermittent setting, they run constant for a couple of minutes then stop.

Looking for any advice - switch? relay? both? neither? They do stop eventually. If you shut the car off and then turn it back on - the wipers resume until they decide to go off.

Thanks.

When I pulled mine to bits to fix it I did notice that there is a stop position which disconnects power. They designed them like this so they won't turn off half way up your windscreen. I'd say it just needs adjusting. If you're crazy enough to pull it apart. Not that complex once you analyse it. Can't remember whether it's just copper tracks or a cam or both which was out of whack on mine. Sorry I can't be more specific.

I watched Flash of Genius but didnt see any adjustment details. And can someone post pics of how the box is installed under the dash. I cannot find anywhere under the dash where the bolts can fit.

Unless I am confused, the wiper park is part of the wiper motor. The relay is the intermittent governor. It is mounted below the dash and tucked up under the center section (that holds the gauges if you have them). Here is a picture of where mine is placed. My '73 came with intermittent wipers so I suspect this is the original location. I will be taking it out soon to see if that is the problem.

Sorry the picture plug in is not working right now - I'll try to post the picture later.

WP_000621.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 bolt holes in the metal panel below the radio that looks like a shelf. They are on the left side toward the back. Hope this helps

Back