Bushing Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbill4

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Here's where I show my complete ignorance, but then again I joined this site to learn lol So with that in mind I have a few questions

what is the correct name of the bushings the arrows are pointing to in my pic?

Is there more than one kind to replace them with?

Where should I look to buy them?

The bushings on both sides got completely destroyed at the same time....is that common for that to happen on both sides at the same time? and is there some kind of solution that may have caused them to deteriorate quickly?

thanks ahead of time....bill

34srzht.jpg

you should be able to get them separately it is a front shock bushing.

it looks like you had poly bushings originally. i would recommend switching to normal oem Rubber versions. they work just as well take some stress off the shock due to springs not moving on the perches(unless you have roller perches), it makes the shock a little more flexible in movement which may make the handling a little less tight but polys Squeak like crazy and the rubber will not and rubber tends not to split like polys do

thanks to all of you for the info......I went to the local auto store and was able to purchase a set of bushings.....the thing that bothers me is that both sides got destroyed at exactly the same time.....I don't abuse my car at all....I was wondering if it's common for that to happen to both sides at exactly the same time? The people where I take my car for service (same place as who did my restoration) and the folks at the auto parts store told me they never saw that before.....just wondering thanks

thanks to all of you for the info......I went to the local auto store and was able to purchase a set of bushings.....the thing that bothers me is that both sides got destroyed at exactly the same time.....I don't abuse my car at all....I was wondering if it's common for that to happen to both sides at exactly the same time? The people where I take my car for service (same place as who did my restoration) and the folks at the auto parts store told me they never saw that before.....just wondering thanks
I would think it is a good thing for bilateral parts to wear evenly.

For me that would indicate your car is "balanced".

mike

These poly parts have a tendency to fail more than rubber ever would. some people use poly on the strut rods, and I have read stories of the strut rod actually failing since the shock is getting passed into structure rather than attenuated like the original design.

I'm not a fan of these new poly items to tighten up suspension. My guess is yours got old enough and finally broke them selves. It could be that one failed, but the unevenness of the ride increased stress on the other side and it failed very shortly thereafter.

I'd avoid using poly next time. Agree with the other boys above - go with original spec rubber. They used it for a reason....

Jay

I have had them wear out in 5 - 6 years with 8 - 10K miles of driving. I suspect the 'rubber compound' is not real rubber these days.

Back