Front Coil springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Hey there...

I have a 73 Mach 1 that I bought from someone going after a G car type thing. The rear had lowering springs on it, and the front has grab a track 750 coil springs.

I changed out the rear, to stock height Summit leafs, so it sits pretty much where I want with 15" rims running 295/50/15

The front is causing me issues...

I pulled out the shock, and tried to insert the internal claw type compressor. The 750 springs are incredibly thick, so I cannot seem to get it to work.

I thought about the ball joint method, where you lower the control arm slowly and spring decompresses, however, being that the Mustang has the spring to the UCA which is almost fully extended under load, I cannot see how this would work.

With springs that thick, should I try external/strut type compressors?

For lowering the car between 1 to 1.5 inches, should I cut these ones (I keep reading that these springs are 'race only'), buy stock replacements and hack a half coil at a time, or buy the suspension techniques 1" lowering springs on summit?

I think if I use the 750 isolators and stock springs, I will already have a 1" drop from what I have read.

Keep in mind this is the biggest project I have attempted on this newly aquired car, and my reading skills out weight my actual doing skills.

You didnt mention how it rides, only the height. If you cut 1/2 a coil from the spring you have i believe you will get a 1" drop, but of course it will be a slightly stiffer spring. As for compressing them, maybe a bigger claw compressor tool? Would be cheaper than getting injured.

I would go with the Scott Drake springs that fit 67-73, part # C7ZZ-5310-P. They are 600 pound rated and lower the car approx 1". They are around $75. Seems like a way better way to go than experimenting with what you have and the one's you have are going to be really stiff, especially if you cut them.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies...

I took the compressor apart, and fished in the bottom part and then put the top in. I compressed the spring, but the rod bottoms out into the perch so its impossible to take the spring out. I have read about placing a piece of pipe as a spacer to prevent bottoming, but cannot get my head around where the spacer would go or how big. Sorry guys, I am determined to do this one myself, please expect more dumb questions.

Thanks for the replies...

I took the compressor apart, and fished in the bottom part and then put the top in. I compressed the spring, but the rod bottoms out into the perch so its impossible to take the spring out. I have read about placing a piece of pipe as a spacer to prevent bottoming, but cannot get my head around where the spacer would go or how big. Sorry guys, I am determined to do this one myself, please expect more dumb questions.
K, I figured out where the spacer goes, just have to make/find something that works or a whole ton of washers. Don't know how it rides, have not driven it yet :) We had the worst winter on record and the snow is finally gone (month late, I live in Winnipeg). So, just working out the kinks. Here is a pic of what look I am going for. I have the same tires and the sportlite version of these rims. My car is the same color.

73mach.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you that I really do not like messing with these front coil springs. Marks home made compressor is the style I would recommend. I ended up buying one on ebay a couple of months ago from a guy in Texas who makes and sells them regularly. It is a little pricey, but well worth the investment and comfort level when you are installing those springs. I installed both of mine with the upper control arm in about 10 minutes each. I then went back and removed and re-installed the drivers side after seeing the top coil bushing was pinched around the rim of the top mount. Removal and re-install was about 15 minutes on that side.

i use the 620lb front lowered springs.

the lowered springs do not require much compression before you can release them, but you could also jack the lower suspension arm up on that side then tighten the compressor and release the jack and see if the spring is loose in and can come out, before the bomb goes off.

i used this type of compressor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTJ5I8

I've used the claw type and the internal finger version and they are all scary as hell to use. the 620lb springs on mine are very thick like the 700+ version so i went with this type of compressor, it was still VERY scary but i only needed to compress a small amount to pull it out. with the front end on jack stands i then inserted the OTC compressor tightened it up snug, then jacked up the suspension arm from underneath tighted the compressor till i couldn't go anymore. and slowly lowered the lower arm. the spring came right out. i carefully moved it out of the way, and released the compressor VERY slowly.... I REALLY HATE front springs.!

now using that OTC tool it was a little involved in setting it up. and i had to use it upside-down from the instructions the instructions show the nut tighter coming out the bottom of the car, impossible on our fords has to come out the top through the shock mounts. onces i had everything lined up it took my big hands a little time to get the locking pin into the compressor ball joint through the center of the large spring coils but i did it :D. and and follow the directions about lubing up the threads, very important. i used some bearing grease i had around.

There is an easy and quite safe way to compress or remove springs that I have described here.

Not sure if it will work for you because I don´t know how your compressor works.

If you cut the coils they get much stiffer. I have the 620 lbs ones with 1 inch lowering from Mustangs Unlimited and I have cut one complete turn off of them to achieve the stance I was looking for and they are pretty stiff. Almost like a new car with a lowered setup.

Given that you have the 750 ones, I would be careful because you might end up with something similar to the compression ratio of a iron rod. :)

Got them out today, took 10 minutes a side if that once I put a stack of washers on the compressor (couldnt find pipe anywhere).

Ordered a set of stock Mach 1 springs from Summit, seems Canadian parts store suck as far as stocking this stuff goes. They are Moog springs.

I am going to install them as they came with the insulators/isolators from the 750 springs which apparently drop the car already without chopping. I don't mind pulling them out again and experimenting with chopping to get the stance I want.

Thank you for all the info everyone.

I would go with the Scott Drake springs that fit 67-73, part # C7ZZ-5310-P. They are 600 pound rated and lower the car approx 1". They are around $75. Seems like a way better way to go than experimenting with what you have and the one's you have are going to be really stiff, especially if you cut them.

Jeff
Didnt even see this post! Dang..... When I was searching Summit these didnt come up, but they come up when you type in the part number. FML, lol

Ok, so, I can always return the ones I bought. I found the spring rate, they are rated at 286lbs. I think I have to order the Drake ones and return the Moog?

Last edited by a moderator:
Drake springs are here. You can certainly see the difference in coil spacing, the 750's must ride like steel rods! Anyway, the Drake's are physically higher by a half inch, will the the height of one spring vs another have any bearing on ride height, or will that compress away under weight? Sorry if that is a silly question....but aren't all of my questions silly so far?? :)

If anyone has an opinion on this, I would really appreciate it. I dont want to install them and have to take them out again... Although since I am the spring MASTER now, its not so bad. my lazy side is telling me to cut a half coil before I install them

The smaller diameter wire will compress more. Generally the smaller diameter wire spring will need to be longer to achieve the same installed height. The rate is directly tied to wire diameter. I would install them as is and get some miles on them before cutting the spring. There is really no comparing the 2 springs dimensionally.

Go them in, its very close to what I want. I will let them settle as suggested and see what I get.

Is there a trick getting the shocks bolted to the perches? My goodness, I tried every combo possible and finally got them in.

Mustang Front Coil Springs are famous, Although there are other brands, but they has a place of their own. Coils springs of types Pumps and brackets are those that can fit sometimes to other cars, if one of you can check it ..
I think I got the stance right. I will see what settles, and cut some front if need be.

73stance.jpg

Latest posts

Back